Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm considering buying the app but I'd like to know if it manages several car on one account (we have an S and an X). Also, is summon possible from the Apple Watch? Thx.
Yes. If you press the Gear (cog) icon on the top-right, a list of your cars will show up. Then you can switch cars from there if they're under the same Tesla account. Summon is possible from the Apple Watch and there was a YouTube video of it posted by one of the Remote S users:

I was originally planning on releasing an update when Tesla said that they would update their official app in December. But it seems like they're going to take a while, so I'm going to go ahead and release my minor update to fix up any remaining bugs while I prep for the big update coming from Tesla.

I came up with the idea for the first new feature when I decided to nap in my car while supercharging, but didn't know when to set my alarm to wake me up when the charging is complete. So I created a feature for Remote S to play a 5-minute song when the charge is complete (or stopped) to warn me to unplug from the Supercharger. I came up with the second feature when someone didn't realize that they were looking at cached info and thought that the rear window defroster graphic meant that he had an open trunk (For future reference: An open trunk graphic is yellow and outlines the trunk, and a rear window defroster graphic is red and covers only the rear window).

Here is the 3.3.5 changelog:

New exclusive features
- Since Tesla now charges a fee for keeping your car plugged into the Supercharger station after the charge is complete, I added an alarm to Remote S that will play if this happens. This way, if you want to take a nap or eat lunch while supercharging, you can keep Remote S open, and it will sound an alarm when the charge is complete or stopped. The alarm is shut off when you unplug from the Supercharger or close the app. This only affects completed or stopped charges in Tesla superchargers. It will not sound an alarm for any other charger. If you don't want this feature, disable it in the app's settings in the Settings app.
- The app now tells you how long ago in seconds the information has been updated. And if it's data that's older than a minute, the app will color the "Updated at:" text in white as opposed to dark grey, to show you that the app has not yet received updated data from Tesla. This should help when figuring out whether you're looking at cached data or real-time data.

Bug fixes
- Fixed a bug where the username and password were not saved if the Tesla was not named yet
- Battery current now displays correctly even if a charge cable is connected
- Supercharger current now displays when using Tesla's superchargers
- Battery current now displays the correct value when it is negative
- Fixed bug for the Apple Watch that displayed the incorrect HVAC status

Graphical changes
- Added graphical instructions to the website when you press the Remote S logo and scroll down
- Changed error message for pano roof settings that are not Vent and Close, because Tesla disabled the other roof settings. The icons will remain for a graphical reference if you set the pano roof settings in your car. The functionality will be put back if Tesla ever enables it again.
- Changed "Battery info" and "Charge info" labels to just "Battery" and "Charge" so that people with long names for their Teslas don't have overlapping text on top of the word "info".
- Added instructions when trying to trigger the HomeLink command.
- Updated app icon to be more symmetrical.

Since Tesla now charges a fee for keeping your car plugged into the Supercharger station after the charge is complete, I added an alarm to Remote S that will play if this happens

I'd like an alarm when the car has reached XX% - e.g. I might need 60% to continue my journey but charge limit is set to something higher, or an alarm at 60% gives me enough time to get back to the vehicle (e.g. facilities are some way away) in good time - particularly if I want to leave as soon as the car has enough juice :)

Current I sit watching my phone ...

I also sit watching my phone in case something unusual happens - e.g. kW drops unexpectedly

I'd like an alarm when the car has reached XX% - e.g. I might need 60% to continue my journey but charge limit is set to something higher, or an alarm at 60% gives me enough time to get back to the vehicle (e.g. facilities are some way away) in good time - particularly if I want to leave as soon as the car has enough juice :)

Current I sit watching my phone ...

I also sit watching my phone in case something unusual happens - e.g. kW drops unexpectedly
Okay. I will add setting fields for you to tweak. One to set which charge % to start the alarm for. And one to set the kW minimum threshold before sounding an alarm.

image.png
That would be brill. Many thanks.
It's been added. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have to pack and get ready for my flight back to Florida from NYC in a few hours. I won't have access to my Tesla again until mid-February because I usually leave it in NYC. Let me know if there's anything you need me to do while I still have access to my Tesla. Otherwise, I'll see you guys on the other side.

So you can use the alarm even if it's not a Supercharger. Cool!
That is correct. But keep in mind that Apple still restricts apps to only work when it's in the foreground. So the alarm will only work if you keep Remote S in the foreground. To save batteries, you can turn the screen brightness to the lowest setting and leave the volume higher (you only need the sound anyway). A scenario where this would play out well is if you're eating and don't want to keep staring at your phone and watching the charge % or kW power. You can just leave the phone on the table with Remote S open when it's around the time, enjoy your meal and the alarm will sound when the charge conditions are met. Or if you're like me and like to nap at the charger, you can keep the phone plugged into the USB and have Remote S wake you up when the charge conditions are met.

I'm not seeing a update available - I guess it's still in Apple validation?
I just uploaded the new version with WannabeOwner's suggestion to the App Store a few minutes ago. It'll take a few days for Apple to review the app before posting the update.

- Battery current now displays correctly even if a charge cable is connected
- Supercharger current now displays when using Tesla's superchargers
- Battery current now displays the correct value when it is negative

The charging current seems to be wrong for me in the new version, only 4.5A when real charging current is 10A:
2017-01-18 20.09.07.png

Voltage (224V) and power (2kW) is correct.

Be obliged if you would tell us what new bug you're going to introduce with this fix. Save us the trouble of finding it. :)
Haha. No, this is a Tesla bug in the API that screwed things up for me in the first place. They recently started to report a charger_pilot_current value of 40 A for Superchargers. This confused my algorithm, because it used to report charger_pilot_current = 0 A for Superchargers, and in this scenario, I display to users the battery current instead, because the API for the Supercharger reports 0 A as the charger's current. But since the API started reporting 40 A for the charger_pilot_current, it made my app think that the Supercharger is a wall outlet, and so it started displaying the charger's current to the users (which the API reports as 0 A). So to fix that, I changed the algorithm so that the Supercharger would report the battery current again even though the API has an error in it. And that's the bug fix. The problem was that my bug fix accidentally caused wall outlets to report the battery current instead of the charger current, too.

Anyway, I fixed the new bug now and have submitted the fix to Apple. The update should be available tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. Thanks for the bug report, Bjornb.

Last edited:
So to fix that, I changed the algorithm so that the Supercharger would report the battery current again even though the API has an error in it. And that's the bug fix. The problem was that my bug fix accidentally caused wall outlets to report the battery current instead of the charger current, too.
Interesting. Is the real battery voltage available too? Other values as well perhaps?
Maybe you can extend the app with an additional 'panel' with extra electrical values?

Is it possible to make the power value more accurate with one decimal perhaps? (in my case with 10A and 230V I would like it to show 2.3kW instead of 2kW).

Thanks for responding and submitting the bug fix quickly :).

Interesting. Is the real battery voltage available too? Other values as well perhaps?
Maybe you can extend the app with an additional 'panel' with extra electrical values?

Is it possible to make the power value more accurate with one decimal perhaps? (in my case with 10A and 230V I would like it to show 2.3kW instead of 2kW).

Thanks for responding and submitting the bug fix quickly :).
I wish the battery voltage was available in the API but it isn't. I'm already one step ahead of you with the "extra" electrical panel and more decimal points for the power. When you're charging, close the command menu (top-left button) and you will notice two more fields on the top: The left value is the actual power going into your car's battery (this is calculated by looking at your car's battery current and multiplying it by the battery's voltage). It gives you the power up to 3 decimal points. So say it says 1 kW as the charger's power, the actual power going into your batteries could say .722 kW. (See attached image for this example).

The right value is your instantaneous charging rate. This is more accurate than the charge rate that Tesla tells you, because Tesla actually gives you an average charge rate over the entire charge session. This is confusing when Supercharging, because the average could say 150 mph charge, but in reality it is only charging at 20 mph at the moment. This may change your opinion on whether to stay the extra 10 minutes to gain just a few more miles. This value is less important in a wall charger, because usually the average charge rate matches the instantaneous charge rate.

image.png

Status
Not open for further replies.