Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Model S a few weeks ago, and so far, I'm loving my Remote S app, especially for its Apple Watch compatibility. It's great to be able to go for a run without taking my keyfob.

One small suggestion: would it be possible to make the four buttons visibly "press" when touched, in the car control screen on Watch? I refer to the screen that comes up when you touch the car icon, giving four options (turn HVAC on, keyless start, unlock, and lock). The Watch screen is small, and sometimes I miss the button with my fat man fingers. Right now, I can't tell whether or not I successfully tapped a button until I wait 5-10 seconds and see that my car didn't respond. But if the icon for each function would change somehow when touched (such as dimming a little, sort of like the + and - buttons do on the Watch page where you adjust the charge limit), I could be more certain.

Thanks for a great app, Allen! I'm gonna go give it a 5 star review now.
I will look into what you're suggesting, but the 4-button menu system that you're talking about is part of the Apple OS, and I have very little control over how it operates. I don't have my Apple Watch with me, but doesn't the menu system vibrate a little when you press a button? If not, maybe there's a setting for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Apple Watch settings?

If you're going to give a 5 star review, please wait until the next update comes out. Every time an update comes out, the app store wipes out the reviews on the current version, and then it takes me a long time to build up the ratings/reviews all over again due to how small the user base is. And then because it has so "little" reviews, my sales drop by over 50%, because potential buyers are less likely to trust an app that has very "few" reviews.

I will look into what you're suggesting, but the 4-button menu system that you're talking about is part of the Apple OS, and I have very little control over how it operates. I don't have my Apple Watch with me, but doesn't the menu system vibrate a little when you press a button? If not, maybe there's a setting for Haptic feedback somewhere in the Apple Watch settings?

If you're going to give a 5 star review, please wait until the next update comes out. Every time an update comes out, the app store wipes out the reviews on the current version, and then it takes me a long time to build up the ratings/reviews all over again due to how small the user base is. And then because it has so "little" reviews, my sales drop by over 50%, because potential buyers are less likely to trust an app that has very "few" reviews.

Good to know about how the review system works. Can you post a reminder on this thread once the new version comes out for us to go and leave reviews? I'm always so busy I forget to take care of things like that.

I have my haptic vibrate on max and don't get a vibration feedback either. I don't see any Remote S specific haptic feedback options to play with.

And too late. I already gave a 5 star review! And I will happily do it again when the next version comes out. I like the idea @sdorn posted. A quick reminder here to re-rate, and I'm sure the devoted will quickly get you the necessary nucleus of 5-star reviews.

@AllenWong I played with the screen a little more, and I see now that indeed it does dim when I press an icon on the four button screen. It's just quick and subtle, and it happens while my finger still covers the icon unless I look carefully from an angle. If it's hard to change how dramatic the visual is or to add a haptic feedback, it's functional as is, now that I know what to look for.

FWIW, my Apple watch shows a subtle shift in the display when long pressing the choice in remote S, and I do get haptic feedback.

Good to know about how the review system works. Can you post a reminder on this thread once the new version comes out for us to go and leave reviews? I'm always so busy I forget to take care of things like that.
And too late. I already gave a 5 star review! And I will happily do it again when the next version comes out. I like the idea @sdorn posted. A quick reminder here to re-rate, and I'm sure the devoted will quickly get you the necessary nucleus of 5-star reviews.
The new update to Remote S is out now. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can re-rate the app whenever it is convenient for you. Every time there is an update, the app also pops up a one-time request asking for a rating as well.

The new update should address the remaining bugs in the app. It will not fix the issue of not knowing where the car's location is for those who had that problem after updating the car's firmware. That problem lies with Tesla, and they need to fix that on their end. Perhaps doing a reboot of the car would fix it's dashboard by pressing and holding the two buttons on the steering wheel will fix it. But if not, then you'd probably need to call Tesla and ask them what's going on with your particular vehicle, because it seems to be only happening to a few Teslas and not all Teslas.

Reactions: BertL
The new update to Remote S is out now. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can re-rate the app whenever it is convenient for you. Every time there is an update, the app also pops up a one-time request asking for a rating as well.

The new update should address the remaining bugs in the app. It will not fix the issue of not knowing where the car's location is for those who had that problem after updating the car's firmware. That problem lies with Tesla, and they need to fix that on their end. Perhaps doing a reboot of the car would fix it's dashboard by pressing and holding the two buttons on the steering wheel will fix it. But if not, then you'd probably need to call Tesla and ask them what's going on with your particular vehicle, because it seems to be only happening to a few Teslas and not all Teslas.

After I updated the app, I went in to re-rate the app and it just showed my existing review. It would let me "edit" that review, but not post a new review. I did edit the review and revise the narrative to update it from the initial review, but not sure that did anything. My review does show up as one of the two reviews for the current version of the app, so it must have worked. The other review is only two stars though, so would be great if others could post their reviews to get the average up.

• Love
Reactions: AllenWong
After I updated the app, I went in to re-rate the app and it just showed my existing review. It would let me "edit" that review, but not post a new review. I did edit the review and revise the narrative to update it from the initial review, but not sure that did anything. My review does show up as one of the two reviews for the current version of the app, so it must have worked. The other review is only two stars though, so would be great if others could post their reviews to get the average up.
Yea, if you already put a review and updated to the newest version, you can just resubmit it to add it to the current version reviews. No need to even change it. Takes like 5 seconds to do but helps me out a lot. Thanks.

At some point did the API change so it no longer shows amps while supercharging? Or the power number at the top left of the screen that always shows -0.0 when charging. (during normal charging or supercharging) Before it showed how much juice was going in the battery. The power number lower down shows the total power, but if it's cold and you have the heat on for example the top number seemed to show what was actually going in minus car use.

At some point did the API change so it no longer shows amps while supercharging? Or the power number at the top left of the screen that always shows -0.0 when charging. (during normal charging or supercharging) Before it showed how much juice was going in the battery. The power number lower down shows the total power, but if it's cold and you have the heat on for example the top number seemed to show what was actually going in minus car use.
I noticed this too. Must be an API change.

The 8.1 update to the car's firmware removed the API's ability to see the car's battery current. And it's not a system-wide API change. It only affects anyone who updated to version 8.1. I kept that stat there because those who haven't updated to 8.1 will still be able to use those stats. I'm hoping that Tesla will put that info back in the API in the future firmware, because it was a very neat stat to know. If they don't, then I'm going to have to remove that info from the screen for those no longer receive that info from their car. Either that, or I'm going to try to figure out a different way to find out that information.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver and vdiv
The 8.1 update to the car's firmware removed the API's ability to see the car's battery current. And it's not a system-wide API change. It only affects anyone who updated to version 8.1. I kept that stat there because those who haven't updated to 8.1 will still be able to use those stats. I'm hoping that Tesla will put that info back in the API in the future firmware, because it was a very neat stat to know. If they don't, then I'm going to have to remove that info from the screen for those no longer receive that info from their car. Either that, or I'm going to try to figure out a different way to find out that information.
I think @Jdeck from TeslaFi found a workaround for this problem.

Reactions: Fiver
Only got "wake up - Sign off - Flash" charge port is closed.

Got a E-ON charger with flat rate. So i can't use Tesla's charging cable in my charger. So i hope Remote S coud unlock the cable. So i dont have to use the key if it possible. That Will be nice. :)

Only got "wake up - Sign off - Flash" charge port is closed.

Got a E-ON charger with flat rate. So i can't use Tesla's charging cable in my charger. So i hope Remote S coud unlock the cable. So i dont have to use the key if it possible. That Will be nice. :)
I'm going to push another update to fix this.

Here's the changelog for the version 3.3.8 that I just submitted to the App Store today (will be available in approximately 3 days):
- Cleaned up the UI for when users who cannot see the battery current anymore (anyone who updated to car firmware 8.1 and above)
- Sped up the refresh rate on the Apple Watch to 5 seconds instead of 10 seconds
- Added opening and closing port functions to Apple Watch in the charge screen force touch menu (2nd one)
- Added refresh stats button to Apple Watch in the charge screen force touch menu

Status
Not open for further replies.