Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the app and it was working great (except I could not figure out how to get the stats text window that is featured on the app store?).
Then I changed my my tesla password and the app could not connect again. I tried deleting it and downloading it again, clearing my phone cache but no luck. iPhone 5, iOS 9.
How can I make it work again? (and how do I access the stats?)
Thanks, Ondrej

Ps. I apologize if this was discussed anywhere in the 124 previous pages ;).

Is it possible to activate functions in the app from outside using a URL scheme?

From searching this thread, I found that the app supports the remotes:// URL scheme. This works to launch the app, but I couldn't figure out any way to construct a URL which both launches the app and makes something else happen. A URL like remotes://limit://50 launches the app, but doesn't set the charge limit, for example.

My goal is to have a few shortcuts for common car functions that I can activate using Launch Center Pro.

Bought the app and it was working great (except I could not figure out how to get the stats text window that is featured on the app store?).
Then I changed my my tesla password and the app could not connect again. I tried deleting it and downloading it again, clearing my phone cache but no luck. iPhone 5, iOS 9.
How can I make it work again? (and how do I access the stats?)
Thanks, Ondrej

Ps. I apologize if this was discussed anywhere in the 124 previous pages ;).

Here's how to fix it: Open the main app on the iPhone or iPad. Then sign off your MyTesla account. After you sign off the app, close the app from the multitask. Then try signing back in again. The sign off button is found by pressing the command menu button on the top left, and then pressing the car icon with the circular arrows around it.

The stats is accessed by pressing the top-right button to expand the map. Then press the white button on the left. Then press the top bar out of the three bars that appear.

Is it possible to activate functions in the app from outside using a URL scheme?

From searching this thread, I found that the app supports the remotes:// URL scheme. This works to launch the app, but I couldn't figure out any way to construct a URL which both launches the app and makes something else happen. A URL like remotes://limit://50 launches the app, but doesn't set the charge limit, for example.

My goal is to have a few shortcuts for common car functions that I can activate using Launch Center Pro.

I plan on adding this functionality in the next update.

Great, thanks! Hope your recovery is going well.

The doctor says that my bone growth is going slower than average according to the x-rays. Expected recovery time is early 2016. Also the patent troll I mentioned earlier (who claims to own a patent on watches that can remote control cars) has just issued a summons for me to a court in Texas for patent-infringement for the Remote S app. I am in no condition to travel to Texas, and it's going to cost me a lot of money to hire a lawyer to represent me in Texas to fight this patent troll. The revenue from the app will probably be wiped out from fighting this patent troll, and he's giving me a lot of stress from having to deal with this lawsuit. I actually have an app that allows you to control your car via Siri on both the watch and iOS that's waiting for release. But I'm forced to hold off the release until I see what happens in this lawsuit. So yea... I'm having a rough time right now.

The doctor says that my bone growth is going slower than average according to the x-rays. Expected recovery time is early 2016. Also the patent troll I mentioned earlier (who claims to own a patent on watches that can remote control cars) has just issued a summons for me to a court in Texas for patent-infringement for the Remote S app. I am in no condition to travel to Texas, and it's going to cost me a lot of money to hire a lawyer to represent me in Texas to fight this patent troll. The revenue from the app will probably be wiped out from fighting this patent troll, and he's giving me a lot of stress from having to deal with this lawsuit. I actually have an app that allows you to control your car via Siri on both the watch and iOS that's waiting for release. But I'm forced to hold off the release until I see what happens in this lawsuit. So yea... I'm having a rough time right now.

damn that is a bunch of crap.

Ever think about seeing is social media will help? Send the info to Gizmodo to see if they will run the story?
and then maybe Apple might pick it up and help you fight it (I think they did this for someone a while ago).

The doctor says that my bone growth is going slower than average according to the x-rays. Expected recovery time is early 2016. Also the patent troll I mentioned earlier (who claims to own a patent on watches that can remote control cars) has just issued a summons for me to a court in Texas for patent-infringement for the Remote S app.
I'm sorry to hear this on both accounts. No doubt you're being called to the East Texas District Court in Tyler. Sadly, it's a popular venue for patent plaintiffs.

Interesting this patent is from 2003, before the iPhone made touch screens the thing (yes, I'm aware touch screens existed long before that...). Note that claim 1 states:

1. A vehicle security system comprising:(a) a wristwatch remote comprising a housing base containing operating electronics and a plurality of control means for adjusting watch functions and controlling security system functions; a keypad; a voice activation control mechanism; a speaker; a display panel being located on a front surface of said housing base proximate said keypad; a mechanism with a plurality of means for alerting user of vehicle tampering; transceiver, code generator, switching circuit, mode controller, memory and audio input/output device; a programmed menu; means for transmitting operational signals between wristwatch remote and onboard control module;

"a wristwatch remote comprising...a keypad". I'm not aware of the Apple Watch having a keypad. Thus Claim 1 is not infringed.

Every other claim is dependent on claim 1. Seems like there's no infringement to me. But I'm not a jury in East Texas, so what do I know.

Sorry to hear about the slow recovery.

Won't Apple occasionally jump in and help with these types of people?

Here is the d-bag: Smartwatch Patent Wars...and here is the patent

Allen - sorry you have to put up with the crap and wish you recovery was going faster - let us know if there is anything we can do to help cheer you up.

Intellectual Capital Consulting, Ltd. v. Hyundai Motor Company et al (2:15-cv-00917), Texas Eastern District Court

If you guys aren't familiar with patent trolling, here's an article about it: Patently Unfair - Texas Monthly

The chilling part about it: "In 2006 the New York Times reported that of the patent cases that went to trial in Marshall, jurors ruled for plaintiffs 78 percent of the time, far more than the national average of 59 percent."

Here's the Wiki on it: United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote from the Wiki: "The district has been perceived to be a favorable jurisdiction for plaintiffs in patent infringement lawsuits, which win 88% of the time compared to a nation-wide average of 68% in 2006, even, according to some claims, in dubious cases (i.e. patent trolls)."

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting this patent is from 2003, before the iPhone made touch screens the thing (yes, I'm aware touch screens existed long before that...). Note that claim 1 states:

"a wristwatch remote comprising...a keypad". I'm not aware of the Apple Watch having a keypad. Thus Claim 1 is not infringed.

Every other claim is dependent on claim 1. Seems like there's no infringement to me. But I'm not a jury in East Texas, so what do I know.

Yes, the patent lawyer who I hired also pointed out many other things in the patent that don't match an Apple Watch. The problem is that jurors in that small town in East Texas are uneducated. Only 20% of them have a college degree. Most will not understand what's going on in the trial. And that's why patent trolls love that courthouse, because they rule in favor of them around 78-88% of the time vs the national avg of around 59-68%. Not only that, the judges tend to pass out huge rewards in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I don't have that kind of money. Even just hiring a lawyer for consultation is wiping out the revenue that Remote S generated. And now it looks like I'm going to have to hire a lawyer to represent me in Texas. My bank account is bleeding out...

Here's another article about patent trolling and why that Texas courthouse is so toxic: Deep Dive: Why We Need Venue Reform to Restore Fairness to Patent Litigation | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Last edited:

Very sorry, Allen. And yes, Texas is the usual place where all the trolls file their suits, because of a few idiot judges and jurors.

It was fun using Remote S yesterday to watch a map pin jump along the highways as my Model S was on a two-hour journey being trucked back to my home from a Service Center after a repair visit. At one point my inner dialog was, "Huh? Why did they stop at a GAS STATION?! ... Oh, the truck isn't electric..."

Status
Not open for further replies.