Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably doesn't affect me. I don't see why Apple would want to patent troll me when I'm not competing against them or causing them a loss in revenue. They actually make 30% off my app, so it would be in their best interest to not patent troll me.

Speaking of which, it's the anniversary of the release of Remote S, and I want to thank everyone who's supported me throughout the year. As some of you may know, I've been through some rough patches in the last year, and a lot of you helped me get through them. I'm happy to report that Remote S has over 10,000 users, which is roughly 10% of Tesla owners and probably 1 in 5 users who own both a Tesla and iPhone (assuming that only half of Tesla users use an iPhone). Now that my Tesla is back in my hands, I'm ready to get some more interesting features implemented for the second year and beyond.

Probably doesn't affect me. I don't see why Apple would want to patent troll me when I'm not competing against them or causing them a loss in revenue. They actually make 30% off my app, so it would be in their best interest to not patent troll me.

When I read this, I was actually thinking this might give you some air cover against the original patent troll.

Hi Allen,

I have a question and a feature request. I apologize if they've been discussed - I've read the last few pages, but 86 pages of a thread is pretty daunting!

First, let me commend you on an awesome app, I've had it only a few days and I'm loving it - it blows away Tesla's offering.

First the question. On my iPad, it displays some MPGe stats, (see attached image) which don't seem very accurate at all. During my first trip, that one trip seemed reasonable, but now after a few days, it seems impossible. Unlikely at best. Plus, I can't really figure out what the various icons are supposed to do. Green disc? Purple disc? Green pin? Purple pin? etc. Is there a tutorial on this?

I don't know if it's possible to create a daily log of miles driven and kWh used, but that would be useful information, I would think. Is this information available somewhere that I'm not aware of?

The feature I would appreciate, is if the app could email or text me at a set time if the car isn't plugged in. Every once in awhile I put the car in the garage but don't connect it because I think I'm going out again, and then I don't, and I wake up to a half charged car. It's usually not the end of the world, but a reminder like that could be very useful sometimes!

Thanks!
Eric

Attachments

• MPGe.jpg
    MPGe.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 64
The feature I would appreciate, is if the app could email or text me at a set time if the car isn't plugged in. Every once in awhile I put the car in the garage but don't connect it because I think I'm going out again, and then I don't, and I wake up to a half charged car. It's usually not the end of the world, but a reminder like that could be very useful sometimes!
While it is a good request, perhaps setting a daily repeating alarm on your phone and having a quick check in the app would also work IMO, as a workaround.

Hi Allen,

I have a question and a feature request. I apologize if they've been discussed - I've read the last few pages, but 86 pages of a thread is pretty daunting!

First, let me commend you on an awesome app, I've had it only a few days and I'm loving it - it blows away Tesla's offering.

First the question. On my iPad, it displays some MPGe stats, (see attached image) which don't seem very accurate at all. During my first trip, that one trip seemed reasonable, but now after a few days, it seems impossible. Unlikely at best. Plus, I can't really figure out what the various icons are supposed to do. Green disc? Purple disc? Green pin? Purple pin? etc. Is there a tutorial on this?

I don't know if it's possible to create a daily log of miles driven and kWh used, but that would be useful information, I would think. Is this information available somewhere that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!
Eric
The eMPG stops being accurate whenever you charge the car, because it adds energy back to the car. The trip calculator is meant to be used in between charges. Pressing the red trashcan icon would reset it. The green/purple disc icon is for saving the current trip (red pins). Pressing the green/purple pins would load the pins saved to those respective colors. This was meant for you to be able to save past trips for reference later on, while the red pins will always be your most recent drive.

The other things you're talking about are what I'm working on at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow

Speaking of which, it's the anniversary of the release of Remote S, and I want to thank everyone who's supported me throughout the year. As some of you may know, I've been through some rough patches in the last year, and a lot of you helped me get through them. I'm happy to report that Remote S has over 10,000 users, which is roughly 10% of Tesla owners and probably 1 in 5 users who own both a Tesla and iPhone (assuming that only half of Tesla users use an iPhone). Now that my Tesla is back in my hands, I'm ready to get some more interesting features implemented for the second year and beyond.

HI Allen, How are you authenticating into Tesla? I am adamant of giving third parties my user login when it could put me or my family in danger either do to malicious software or after that service is hacked.

HI Allen, How are you authenticating into Tesla? I am adamant of giving third parties my user login when it could put me or my family in danger either do to malicious software or after that service is hacked.
Do a search on this thread using the keyword "password" and you can find lots of this discussion related to security. Net that may help your more immediate question is from Allen back in post #1601 "The username, token and password are stored on your Apple keychain and nowhere else. I don't store any user info anywhere remotely. It is all on your devices."

Personally, I'm in the same boat as you -- I don't trust anyone with passwords, including my Tesla password that could be used in all sort of nefarious ways if it were out of my control. Fortunately for me (and perhaps us), Allen and his Remote S app do not save the Tesla credentials anywhere except on the devices under our control, and those are secured by Apple's Keychain. (Thanks again Allen for a great design!)

• Informative
Reactions: zambono
Apple just announced that they're opening up Siri to apps finally for iOS 10. I'm excited to finally be able to give you guys voice control for Tesla without having to use my workaround hack.

Will 3D touch make it into the next update? While I'd love to have scheduling, 3D touch is probably the feature I'd use most often, and I'd imagine not too difficult to code (compared to scheduling, at least).
3D touch will be one of the first things I code next and it coincides with the Watch OS 2 port.

Thought of you @AllenWong when I watched this video:

East Texas Patent Trolls
I lost way too much money fighting that troll.

Do a search on this thread using the keyword "password" and you can find lots of this discussion related to security. Net that may help your more immediate question is from Allen back in post #1601 "The username, token and password are stored on your Apple keychain and nowhere else. I don't store any user info anywhere remotely. It is all on your devices."

Personally, I'm in the same boat as you -- I don't trust anyone with passwords, including my Tesla password that could be used in all sort of nefarious ways if it were out of my control. Fortunately for me (and perhaps us), Allen and his Remote S app do not save the Tesla credentials anywhere except on the devices under our control, and those are secured by Apple's Keychain. (Thanks again Allen for a great design!)
This is correct. At no time does your username/password get sent to anywhere else except Tesla and to your Apple Keychain. And this app has been analyzed by other users in a post a while ago that showed that the app only communicates with Tesla's servers and nowhere else.

Allen-

If I read all of the postings/notes from WWDC, the Siri API will be crippled. Not sure if you will be able to access it or use it.

Keep up the hard work--the app is great and I use it every day.
It appears this is right, not anything here we can use from Siri in Remote S. From 9To5Mac:
"For iOS 10.0, the Siri API will only work with six kinds of application: ride booking (think Uber), messaging, Photo Search (find photos and videos in a particular app), payments (‘Send $100 to John with SquareCash’), VoIP Calling (e.g: Skype) and Workouts (for starting health and fitness activities) …"

Status
Not open for further replies.