Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the possibility of having a feature where it notify you that

1) You forgot to fully close the door and you are away from the car

2) You forgot to plug in your charger at the scheduled charge start time

Finally bought the damn Apple Watch, but on delay waiting delivery ehhahahah
The app can't currently run in the background, so there's currently no way for me to do so unless I have a server constantly monitoring your car for changes. That might get expensive for me to do unless people start paying a subscription fee to offset the server fees associated with keeping a server connected to the car. Other websites have attempted to do this, such as EVMote. But EVMote shut down recently - I'm assuming because the server costs outweighed the amount of subscription fees he collected. If people don't mind paying a subscription fee to offset the server costs, then I'll implement the system. Is that something you guys would be willing to subscribe to?

The other thing this would be useful for is seeing what version you have after an update. It seems to me that the updates come down overnight. My usual process is to drive to work and then kick off the update once I am at work. But I don't know what version I got unless I take the time to go to my car and it might be nice to know if you get a major update, like 8.0, rather than a minor bug fix only update. When my car gets 8.0 I may want to go down to check it out.
I can display the firmware version, but I wouldn't know beforehand what the public version number is (it's not provided in the API). For example, 7.1 was firmware version 2.9.68 to version 2.36.31. But 8.0 is 2.36.106. It's not immediately obvious from the firmware version number that it jumped from 7.1 to 8.0. You would have to match the firmware version with the public version number online to know: Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

@Allen - Will the updated version have Siri functionality?
No, unfortunately. I researched on it, but it turns out that Apple only opened the Siri API for a select number of app types, such as messaging apps and CarPlay apps. None of the app types allowed include an app like Remote S.

Allen, to your question: I for one would not pay a subscription fee. I'm VERY happy with Remote S being more of a "standalone application", knowing that means some amount of extended functionality isn't possible.

You can do IAP to add extra features now... subscription not required and neither would "I released a new version of the app, go buy it" to deliver extra functionality.

You can do IAP to add extra features now... subscription not required and neither would "I released a new version of the app, go buy it" to deliver extra functionality.
Agree. If I were Allen though, even if I could bill it, I would not want to go to the effort of design and creating a dedicated server environment unless I thought there would be enough people continually subscribing to at least cover my startup and ongoing costs, let alone make a bit of profit over time.

Agree. If I were Allen though, even if I could bill it, I would not want to go to the effort of design and creating a dedicated server environment unless I thought there would be enough people continually subscribing to at least cover my startup and ongoing costs, let alone make a bit of profit over time.
Agree and it's not just a cost issue. Cloud server slices to host apps and data add more complexity and maintenance not to mention security.

Agree and it's not just a cost issue. Cloud server slices to host apps and data add more complexity and maintenance not to mention security.
I don't mind doing the work even if I don't get paid if it makes Remote S better. But security is my biggest concern and also I don't like having to ask people for more money. With all the talks about Yahoo and Tumblr getting hacked, I don't want to be responsible for people's cars nor store anyone's password. However, there might be a solution to the background scheduling feature and still keep the app standalone. I don't want to openly talk about it before I implement it (because there are other app developers lurking around and waiting to steal my app ideas). But background scheduling might become a reality in the near future because of a change in Apple's operating system recently.

Do you plan to support more languages like german or french.
It's a possibility in the future, but not a priority. Most of the actions have icons associated with it and don't really need much explanation.

The Current Trip Statistics popup is using MPGe / km / kph. Could you modify the MPGe to a metric unit for Europe (and Canada / french part)
Yea, MPGe is going to be replaced with the "efficiency" measurement that measures how close to the rated energy per distance you are doing.

The reason for loosing the menu items was the de-select of the option "Enable remote control buttons" on the Sign In page.
Yes, that's the "children mode" as I like to call it. It's for giving to your family members such as your kids so that they know your location at all times. But it blocks any controls, so they can't, for example, unlock your car remotely.

Does anyone want to be a beta tester for Remote S? You don't have to already own the app. The benefit for being a tester is that you can get a 30 day trial of the newest version of the app before anyone else does. You can delete the beta version and revert back to the store version at any time if you have the store version.

I'm looking for testers with iOS 10 and WatchOS 3.0 so that I can test my new Remote S WatchOS 3.0 update. - This is finished and needs a tester immediately.

I'm looking for testers with any iOS version at or above 8.2 who isn't in the U.S. to test out the new Summons/Homelink functionality.

If I don't finish the app in 2 weeks (when I lose access to my Tesla), I might need testers of any kind.

Let me know which type you are, and I'll PM you if I need you to test something.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Does anyone want to be a beta tester for Remote S? You don't have to already own the app. The benefit for being a tester is that you can get a 30 day trial of the newest version of the app before anyone else does. You can delete the beta version and revert back to the store version at any time if you have the store version.

I'm looking for testers with iOS 10 and WatchOS 3.0 so that I can test my new Remote S WatchOS 3.0 update. - This is finished and needs a tester immediately.

I'm looking for testers with any iOS version at or above 8.2 who isn't in the U.S. to test out the new Summons/Homelink functionality.

If I don't finish the app in 2 weeks (when I lose access to my Tesla), I might need testers of any kind.

Let me know which type you are, and I'll PM you if I need you to test something.

Add me please - WatchOS3.x iPhone7plus ios10.x

I'm using a 7plus with iOS 10.1 beta and watchOS 3.1 beta on a series 2 Apple Watch. Happy to test.

I have a 7 on 10.02 and an original watch on watchOS 3 (also a couple of phones (SE, 6S and 6S Plus) running the public beta of 10.1 all with Remote S on)

In the UK (but my Tesla is still running 7.1if this makes any difference!)

I have a gate working from the car homelink too :)

Happy (and would love) to help :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.