Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If time is ... is at the top of the screen, but the actual time is selected at the bottom of the screen. Maybe after the time is selected, the actual time can be placed at the top of the screen (If time is 4:15). I think a user interface similar to how time events are handled in calendar events would be more intuitive:
Calandar example.jpg

I need a fresh pair of eyes. Without me telling you how to work the following screens, does it look intuitive to you? Do you understand what's going on and will be able to create background scheduler rules out of it?
View attachment 84507View attachment 84508

Thanks for sharing screenshots. It looks fairly intuitive to me, but I do have a few questions:

1. Why do you need a time range to execute a background scheduler? Couldn't you just say "as soon as possible after TIME X"?
2. What are the "and if" conditions that you'll support?
3. Does the "and then" command get executed only after the "then" command is sent (and does it have to be successful for the "and then" to be sent)?
4. I don't quite understand the "and do this" command. It says "every possible chance", does that mean it will execute this command any time possible between the time range set above? Will it repeat throughout the time range, and if so, how often?

Thanks again for your hard work on this.

Here's an updated UI based on all of your feedback. When you tap a field to change it, it highlights the field and the scroll wheel appears on the bottom. I highlighted one of the text fields as well as the time to illustrate what it looks like when it's highlighted. But in the actual version, it only highlights the field that is being configured by you.
iOS Simulator Screen Shot Jun 18, 2015, 6.20.41 PM.png

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing screenshots. It looks fairly intuitive to me, but I do have a few questions:

1. Why do you need a time range to execute a background scheduler? Couldn't you just say "as soon as possible after TIME X"?
2. What are the "and if" conditions that you'll support?
3. Does the "and then" command get executed only after the "then" command is sent (and does it have to be successful for the "and then" to be sent)?
4. I don't quite understand the "and do this" command. It says "every possible chance", does that mean it will execute this command any time possible between the time range set above? Will it repeat throughout the time range, and if so, how often?

Thanks again for your hard work on this.

1. If you set the second field to "anytime", and then set the last field to "only once per day". Then you can achieve what you want. The background scheduler will always try to issue the command as soon as possible.
2. Haven't created the list yet, but pretty much any car status from the API can be used. If you have suggestions, I'll add it to the scrollable list.
3. Correct. The "and then" part will execute if the first command is successful. If you want it to execute regardless of how the first command went, then just put it as a second rule. For example, "then... set the temperature to 65 degrees" "and then... turn on the climate control". I can't really think of many commands that depend on the status of the first command, though.
4. The app will attempt to do background scheduling every 15 minutes. Depending on the conditions of the app (such as low cell signal), it's possible that background scheduling will run only once per hour. "Every possible chance" would mean to try to do the above whenever the app can finally get background scheduling to work. I'm going to take that out and replace it with "Once every 15 minutes", because that will make it more clear. Other options are, once every hour, once every 45 minutes, once every half hour, once every two hours, once every three hours, once every six hours, once every 12 hours, once every day.

Here's an updated UI based on all of your feedback. When you tap a field to change it, it highlights the field and the scroll wheel appears on the bottom. I highlighted one of the text fields as well as the time to illustrate what it looks like when it's highlighted. But in the actual version, it only highlights the field that is being configured by you.

Looks great, thanks for the new screenshot. This answers some (but not all) of my questions.

I also have a quick request: is it possible to add a background scheduler rule that only applies once (instead of every week day)?

For example, I only want my car to start charging tonight at 1am but not every Thursday night. Somewhat similar to a calendar event that only occurs once, but not every week. Or an alarm that I set just for today (or some time in the next 23h59m) but does not repeat.

Would that be possible?

(EDIT: I just saw that you added answers to my questions. Thanks a lot!)

Looks great, thanks for the new screenshot. This answers some (but not all) of my questions.

I also have a quick request: is it possible to add a background scheduler rule that only applies once (instead of every week day)?

For example, I only want my car to start charging tonight at 1am but not every Thursday night. Somewhat similar to a calendar event that only occurs once, but not every week. Or an alarm that I set just for today (or some time in the next 23h59m) but does not repeat.

Would that be possible?

(EDIT: I just saw that you added answers to my questions. Thanks a lot!)
Sure, in the last field, I can add a "only just this once", and it'll only execute the code once forever. I guess I should also add "once every month", "once bi-weekly", "once every two months", "once every three months","once every year" for who is doing this long term for some reason.

One other item that would be useful...I got in my Model S yesterday and noticed my car didn't charge, it was about half charged. I was beyond confused, but then I realized the charge limit had actually been set really low.

I must have have somehow accidentally changed the limit in the app and didn't even realize it. It would be really great to have a "confirm" for this. It seems like an edge case, but that slider is super easy to change and could happen to other users.

One other item that would be useful...I got in my Model S yesterday and noticed my car didn't charge, it was about half charged. I was beyond confused, but then I realized the charge limit had actually been set really low.

I must have have somehow accidentally changed the limit in the app and didn't even realize it. It would be really great to have a "confirm" for this. It seems like an edge case, but that slider is super easy to change and could happen to other users.

Version 2.0 has a "confirm button" for unlock, open port, and opening the roof beyond vent. This is off by default, and can be turned on in the app settings. Each button also now gives audio feedback when pressed on the iPhone by default. It can be muted in the settings. The commands are also not visible unless you press the top-left menu button. There are also no sliders in the command menu, unless you purposefully press the Charge Limit % or Temperature Setting. It's been replaced with (-) and (+) buttons.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll fix it.

Any chance of mimicking the ability to drag the roof open to a desired level? For example, instead of the diamond of four buttons, perhaps you can use that real estate to display a top-down wireframe which you can drag left or right to the desired level? The percentage open could be displayed "above your finger" as you drag and then return to inside the wireframe when you let go. The instant you let go, the command can be sent to match the percentage you selected.

To me, one of the most magical moments is how intuitive the dragging works on the 17" screen. When guests see it, it gets the best reaction of anything on the UI. I'd love to see that in the app. That diamond of options doesn't instantly register. I'm sure it'll be very easy to remember and learn, but I wanted to throw the thought out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought was having a companion app that has a single function: HVAC to desired level. I have Hue lights and there are two apps called "Hue On" and "Hue Off" that do just that. I'd love to be able to tap an icon on my phone and the HVAC immediately sets to comfortable level. No button presses. Possibly just wait for a confirmation and close the app.

Good luck with your surgery and thank you for the work you've done.

Regoapps: As mentioned before it's important to be able to change the charge rate as well. Do you think you can add that feature?

If it was mentioned before, I'm sure regoapps or someone else explained that since that's not possible through the Tesla API, it's not something regoapps can include in the app. I'm sure if and when Tesla adds the capability, regoapps will incorporate the functionality into his app very shortly thereafter.

Any chance of mimicking the ability to drag the roof open to a desired level? For example, instead of the diamond of four buttons, perhaps you can use that real estate to display a top-down wireframe which you can drag left or right to the desired level? The percentage open could be displayed "above your finger" as you drag and then return to inside the wireframe when you let go. The instant you let go, the command can be sent to match the percentage you selected.

To me, one of the most magical moments is how intuitive the dragging works on the 17" screen. When guests see it, it gets the best reaction of anything on the UI. I'd love to see that in the app. That diamond of options doesn't instantly register. I'm sure it'll be very easy to remember and learn, but I wanted to throw the thought out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another thought was having a companion app that has a single function: HVAC to desired level. I have Hue lights and there are two apps called "Hue On" and "Hue Off" that do just that. I'd love to be able to tap an icon on my phone and the HVAC immediately sets to comfortable level. No button presses. Possibly just wait for a confirmation and close the app.

Good luck with your surgery and thank you for the work you've done.

Great suggestions. Adding to my TODO list.

Status
Not open for further replies.