Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, I'm dropping by to give you updates on what's been going on:

It's been almost 2 months since my surgery and I still have a little over a month more of pain, pain meds and staying near the hospital, followed by another 3 months more before I can walk again.

Best of luck on your continued recovery and I'm sorry to hear about the patent troll. Ridiculous.

In terms of 3.0, just some suggestions:

(1) I'd love to see the pano roof function integrated directly into the main image of the car (in the bottom center). Currently, you can tap the "temp" section or the "inside" temperature to bring up a "pop-up" of the car with the pano roof tools. I'd recommend just allowing a user to push on the roof and drag on the pano roof image left or right directly. Perhaps a glowing wireframe appears and you can drag it, with a slider indicating the percentage? Right now, the car image doesn't have any interactivity, so I feel you could lose the requirement of the popup by taking advantage of it.

(2) In light of the above, I'd clean the interface and remove the four pano roof buttons on the top-right. Maybe just have two side by side? Open (or vent) and close? The current diagrams don't register instantly with me... and I don't think having a dedicated option for all four is necessary if you can slide the pano roof image to control the exact opening. But maybe others disagree.

(3) I'd consider having the "main screen" remove the map completely. Make the controls bigger, make the image of the car bigger and dead center. Just let that main screen breathe more. Change the upper right "three stacked squares" (which currently brings up the map/trip view) to a globe and make THAT take you to a dedicated map/trip screen. In other words, two dedicated (but completely separate) screens: A "control" while I'm out of the car screen... and a "navigation/trip" while I'm in the car (or checking on another driver) screen. The navigation screen can have the same simple line of info along the bottom (Charge %, Estimated, Rated, Ideal) and the same Heading/Speed/Breadcrumb controls, but nothing else but the map... I feel like that would clean things up significantly.

(4) By doing the above, you could eliminate the need to use the "hamburger" icon in the top left to clear the controls from the map screen. Then use that button to create a more traditional drop-down that lists "Settings" (takes you to the current settings from the gear icon), "Sign Out", "Select Car", "Help", "About", etc. Then you can also eliminate the "car with curved arrows" icon from the "control" screen. Basically, all the commands you don't use every day... the maintenance commands... go here, tucked away.

(5) There's a pair of apps for Hue lights called "Hue On" and "Hue Off." You click the "Hue On" app and the lights turn on. No user input required. The single most used feature of Remote S, for me, is turning on HVAC when I'm going to be getting back to my car. I'd love a splintered companion app. Maybe "Remote S - HVAC" that, upon loading, with NO other input... automatically turns climate control on. Heck, even charge another $1.99 for just that.

I've been using the app since day one and these are just my personal suggestions. Obviously, my usual disclaimer is that this is your baby. My biggest "nitpick" is the use of the two "hamburger" and "three stacked squares" don't feel intuitive. Even after all this time of daily use, I'm just not comfortable with which button does what.

As always, all your work on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Allen,

I'm having some strange behavior from the app on my phone. For the last couple of weeks, almost every time I have used the app, the IOS screen to recalibrate the compass has appeared ( the one where you tilt the phone to roll around the red ball until it completes a circle a few times). The app seems to work fine afterwards, but it is getting annoying. I have tried logging out and then logging back in, but the behavior has occurred again.

i know it might be a phone related issue, and not just your app, but thought I would check with you nonetheless.

Hi Allen,

I'm having some strange behavior from the app on my phone. For the last couple of weeks, almost every time I have used the app, the IOS screen to recalibrate the compass has appeared ( the one where you tilt the phone to roll around the red ball until it completes a circle a few times). The app seems to work fine afterwards, but it is getting annoying. I have tried logging out and then logging back in, but the behavior has occurred again.

i know it might be a phone related issue, and not just your app, but thought I would check with you nonetheless.
Thats funny you should mention that because I've been experiencing the same problem on my iPad Air2 with LTE. Every time I open the App it has had me re-calibrate before the App will operate. Nothing really has changed because it was giving that behavior previously. I have not experienced this same problem on my iPhone 6+.

Thats funny you should mention that because I've been experiencing the same problem on my iPad Air2 with LTE. Every time I open the App it has had me re-calibrate before the App will operate. Nothing really has changed because it was giving that behavior previously. I have not experienced this same problem on my iPhone 6+.
Interesting. I'm not seeing this issue on my iPhone 6 on 8.4.

Strangely, I've been seeing the re-calibrate as well upon starting Remote S, about the time I refreshed by logging in/out. iPhone 6+ iOS 8.3.

Hello Allen,

is is it possible to ad something like this planner in your app?
EV Trip Planner that would be great!
thank u greetings from holland

If the owner of that gave me the algorithm for his calculations, I wouldn't mind adding it to the app. Otherwise, I'd have to come up with it on my own, and it will take me some time to figure out.

Hi Allen,

most likely because you turned on the compass in the app. Press the white circle on the top-right of the map. Pressing it will cycle between 3 modes: Off, user location, and user location with compass heading. It works just like the Google Maps app.

Do you mean a today view widget? If so, yes. It's in my todo list.

+1 on the iOS widget. Any updates on this? I think a very simplified charging status/temperatures view would be AWESOME, with a swipe taking you to the app, of course.

THANKS: I love TouchID support... I HATE typing my password into the "official" app.

BUG REPORT (I think). The "charging current" seems to show the wrong amperage; when I plug into 110V, it shows the correct current voltage, rate in MPH, and max amperage, but not the current amperage (e.g., shows 3/12 instead of 12/12). I'll have to check when on 240V 40A as well as 240V 80A to see if it shows the correct current amperage.

FEATURE REQUEST:
It's nice to have all the controls available on one screen, but I DO love the official app's simple uncluttered look. Can you offer a minimal view? For the minimal view, it would be great to have:
1. a charge icon that drops down the charge options (start/stop charge, close/open port, set charge limit slider/toggle)
2. a lock icon that drops down the lock/unlock, keyless start, honk and flash options
3. a climate icon that drops down start/stop climate, AC/heat toggles
4. a sunroof icon that toggles between vent, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% open, or a pop-up slider

Now you just have 4 icons and the status screen. What do you think?

Again, thanks for a great app that outdoes the official app!

+1 on the iOS widget. Any updates on this? I think a very simplified charging status/temperatures view would be AWESOME, with a swipe taking you to the app, of course.

THANKS: I love TouchID support... I HATE typing my password into the "official" app.

BUG REPORT (I think). The "charging current" seems to show the wrong amperage; when I plug into 110V, it shows the correct current voltage, rate in MPH, and max amperage, but not the current amperage (e.g., shows 3/12 instead of 12/12). I'll have to check when on 240V 40A as well as 240V 80A to see if it shows the correct current amperage.

FEATURE REQUEST:
It's nice to have all the controls available on one screen, but I DO love the official app's simple uncluttered look. Can you offer a minimal view? For the minimal view, it would be great to have:
1. a charge icon that drops down the charge options (start/stop charge, close/open port, set charge limit slider/toggle)
2. a lock icon that drops down the lock/unlock, keyless start, honk and flash options
3. a climate icon that drops down start/stop climate, AC/heat toggles
4. a sunroof icon that toggles between vent, 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% open, or a pop-up slider

Now you just have 4 icons and the status screen. What do you think?

Again, thanks for a great app that outdoes the official app!
Yes, I plan on creating a simplified view of the app. As for the bug, it is not wrong. The "12" is the same "12" you see in "12/12". I just drop the other 12 because it is redundant. The 3 is the actual battery current at 400 V.

Patent trolls are the among the worst people in the world and I hope you can take care of him swiftly! I originally thought the $10 price was a little high, although I love the app and would buy it again. However, now I'm happy to have paid the fee just to help fight this jerk off. Something is very wrong with a system when someone can patent just the idea of doing something (controlling a car from a watch) and then profit off of it without any actual ability or plan to make that idea a reality.

Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Hi Allen,

Hope your recovery is progressing. I'm experiencing a little bug that consistently crashes the app. It deals with the "breadcrumb" tracking feature. In an active or stored display, I tap on any of the pins along the route. It opens a small square window with info on date, time , location, speed, etc. In the upper right corner of that window there is a small arrow that points up and to the right. When I tap that arrow, the app crashes and closes almost 99% of the time.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem? I'm running an iPhone 6 on IOS ver 8.4.1

Hi Allen,

Hope your recovery is progressing. I'm experiencing a little bug that consistently crashes the app. It deals with the "breadcrumb" tracking feature. In an active or stored display, I tap on any of the pins along the route. It opens a small square window with info on date, time , location, speed, etc. In the upper right corner of that window there is a small arrow that points up and to the right. When I tap that arrow, the app crashes and closes almost 99% of the time.

Any thoughts on what might be causing the problem? I'm running an iPhone 6 on IOS ver 8.4.1
Probably because it is trying to find the address of that location and can't, so it crashes instead. I will try to fix it in the next version. It only affects if that location doesn't have an address I guess.

Hi Allen - it would be great if some of our Tesla data could be in a watch complication - like the charge level of your car. Will you be working on this when Watch OS2 comes out next week?

I will do what I can when I recover from surgery. I'm still not at the right capacity right now to resume work. Also if you go back a few posts, I talk about the limitations of watch complications.

Thanks Allen - it looks one of the issues with complications is the frequency of updating. But surely they will deal with this as I can see complications being used for stuff like sports scores that will need to be refreshed every few minutes. And the weather would also have to update on a fairly regular basis - say every 15 minutes or so which is good enough for me for seeing the SoC.

Not sure if this has been asked before, I did check the user guide.
Is it possible to charge the Model S when in 'camper mode'? Using the Bjorn Nyland method, the car has to be in neutral, so can't charge while in 'camper mode'. Does Remote S get over this restriction?
I would like to charge (240v x 10A) while sleeping overnight at daughters place in Model S.

Hoping for your quick recovery and thanks for the app. I'm expecting to get my Model S by the end of this month. Cheers from Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.