Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen, if you aware that on v6.2, there is a bug that the 3G connection may lost as the car goes sleep?(even with always connect ON)

In this case, all mobile app cannot access the car...
do you have any solution on it? Thanks
With "always connected" on, I never really had trouble connecting to the car. You can try waking the car up using the official Tesla app. And then once it's awake, you can use Remote S again.

With "always connected" on, I never really had trouble connecting to the car. You can try waking the car up using the official Tesla app. And then once it's awake, you can use Remote S again.

Still happening even I always checked 'always connected' box, even more, the dashboard frozen when I entering the car, reboot helps.
but it's totally annoying and dramatically decrease the usability of all mobile apps

Still happening even I always checked 'always connected' box, even more, the dashboard frozen when I entering the car, reboot helps.
but it's totally annoying and dramatically decrease the usability of all mobile apps

Sounds like you have a faulty car. If a reboot of the dashboard doesn't fix it, you might want to check things like number of signal bars you have in the car or ask your service center to take a look at it. When I have my car on "Always Connected", I never have to wake up my car. It is only when it's not, that I have to wake it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there an issue with vampire loss using "always connected"? (brand new Tesla owner)

You'll have vampire loss with or without "Always Connected". There is slightly more loss when always connected. I would suggest turning it off if you really want to save that energy. It's just that apps will be really annoying to use, because to wake up a car, sometimes it takes up to 15 minutes.

Sounds like you have a faulty car. If a reboot of the dashboard doesn't fix it, you might want to check things like number of signal bars you have in the car or ask your service center to take a look at it. When I have my car on "Always Connected", I never have to wake up my car. It is only when it's not, that I have to wake it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Reboot helps, and everything return to normal.
but when it goes to sleep again, 3G lost again (it happens every time when it goes to sleep). I'm not sure if my car any hardware issue. I asked Tesla and they had admitted that this is a bug in v6.2, and should be addressed in v7.0
it is really frustrating that it happens every time now

Just purchased the app. Question I have is if I leave the app open all the time does it use data time from my att data?
Thanks. The app seems to be very easy to use and much improved on Teslas app.

Yes, the app uses internet data. If you don't want it to use your data plan, then connect your device to wifi. But even if you're using your data plan, the app only fetches text data from Tesla's servers, which is only a few kbs per 5 seconds. And you can adjust how often it fetches this data in the app's settings. The last I checked, the amount of data it uses is 2.78 kb for each data fetch. So if you fetch data every 5 seconds, that's a little less than 2 mb every hour.

Any timeline for future updates to the remote app? Specifically when/if we might see scheduling coming? Any decision regarding splitting the app and how that would work for those of us who already have it?

Don't mean to rush you, understand you're still working on your recovery. Just curious how things are coming along.

Any timeline for future updates to the remote app? Specifically when/if we might see scheduling coming? Any decision regarding splitting the app and how that would work for those of us who already have it?

Don't mean to rush you, understand you're still working on your recovery. Just curious how things are coming along.

I'm currently working on my other projects, one of which is the keyboard app that I've been working on prior to starting Remote S. I haven't made a decision on splitting the app yet. That would depend on whether the lawsuit goes to trial or not. I might issue an minor update for bug fixes in the meantime, though. I'll get to that when I finish my other projects sometime this month. No ETA on the background scheduler, because that requires tremendous amount of field testing, which isn't really that possible while I can't walk without assistance. The background scheduler also takes a lot of coding to complete - enough to be its own standalone app.

If it's like mine, your token used by the app is no longer valid. I think it's good for 90 days. Just sign out of the Remote app and sign back in. It will request another token and you'll be good.

Allen is working on having it auto-renew the token when it expires for a future release.

Yes, the app uses internet data. If you don't want it to use your data plan, then connect your device to wifi. But even if you're using your data plan, the app only fetches text data from Tesla's servers, which is only a few kbs per 5 seconds. And you can adjust how often it fetches this data in the app's settings. The last I checked, the amount of data it uses is 2.78 kb for each data fetch. So if you fetch data every 5 seconds, that's a little less than 2 mb every hour.
In addition, The iPhone limits how long an app can remain in the background running processes. I believe it's 2 seconds, then it gets shut down UNLESS it requests more time at which point it's given another 10 seconds to complete its processes. After that it's only specific apps with permissions (like music apps or GPS) that are allowed to play in the background. So the answer to your question is no, it won't be downloading or refreshing in the background. It will only do it when the app is open and onscreen. :)

Is there a way to select another Model S on my account? I have a two Tesla household and I'm trying to select my car. Thanks in advance!

From the user guide wiki here: Remote S, Version 2.0 User Guide (Draft) - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

"
  • Switch between cars: If you have more than one Tesla, you can switch between them by pressing the three lines on the top left of the iPhone app, and then pressing the car icon with the circular arrows."

Status
Not open for further replies.