Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I've tried all those things: Latest versions of iPhone, iPad, Mac OS X via iTunes on multiple networks at home and away, VPN on and off, mobile data and office/home ISPs. The issue is specific to this app only. Other apps are updating and loading perfectly. Very odd. I put in a trouble ticket with Apple today, also requesting the refund because the app cannot be downloaded within the last few days, including today.

Not a criticism of you, friend, of course. Hoping this info helps. Will try to let you know what Apple says.

Last edited:
So just like that, about 10 minutes ago the app downloaded with no problems and works fine on my iPad and iPhone. About to try the watch app shortly. Just need some coffee. Apple must have changed something because my robust firewall, VPN, antivirus thingies, and vampire juju beards were all online. Apple has yet to formally respond to my call for help. Wonder what they changed in the matrix.

Good app. One small request: Bigger fonts for old people please. Even with an iPad, the big 6 Plus and bi-focal contact lenses it is a hard read, amigo.

Saw your FB page. Fun reading about the trips. Keep posting. Good pics. Bonne chance.

I occasionally have app updates fail to download for no apparent reason. Other updates come in fine. After a day or two, the stuck update unsticks and all is well. I suspect that Apple's CDN occasionally has bad entries or something like that, and they persist a while before they get flushed out. Apple hates to report any details of failures so that's just speculation, but it seems to fit what I've seen and what happened here.

Reactions: Austral
Hi Allen, Ian from Sydney, Australia here, I just bought the app today ... it looks great although I have a couple of questions. The first is kind of serious, the second kind of isn't serious, I'm just curious :)

1 ... we use the metric system in Australia and the app generally displays things in metric units. However, there are a couple of constants for "MPG of comparable car" and "Price of gasoline per gallon" under settings. I can reverse engineer values for these constants from l/100km, but what definition is the app using for a gallon ? Can I assume a US gallon of 3.785l ?

2 ... how come you folk in the US use kW/h for electricity measurements when it's a metric measure ? how come you don't use (e.g.) HP per hour ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Reactions: NicB72
2 ... how come you folk in the US use kW/h for electricity measurements when it's a metric measure ? how come you don't use (e.g.) HP per hour ?

Same reason our larger soda bottles are measured in liters and many drugs are measured in grams. That is: we're nucking futs, and none of our measurements make any sense.

Hi Allen, Ian from Sydney, Australia here, I just bought the app today ... it looks great although I have a couple of questions. The first is kind of serious, the second kind of isn't serious, I'm just curious :)

1 ... we use the metric system in Australia and the app generally displays things in metric units. However, there are a couple of constants for "MPG of comparable car" and "Price of gasoline per gallon" under settings. I can reverse engineer values for these constants from l/100km, but what definition is the app using for a gallon ? Can I assume a US gallon of 3.785l ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Electricity came into mainstream usage/relevance after SI, so there weren't any legacy units in use. The same units and terms were adopted in both SI and English systems - even though it means the English system now has two versions of power, horsepower for mechanical and watts for electrical.

If it makes you happier, we can calculate it in horsepower hours - or we can stop using the weird hobbled kilowatt hour and just measure energy in Megajoules, which is what a proper SI country should really do, but AFAIK no one does.

After all, hours aren't an SI unit...

(And a 270 MJ battery sounds more impressive than a 75 kWh battery - and most EVs are somewhere close to 1 mile per MJ, which is undoubtedly more relevant in places that use obsolete units like miles...) :)

Reactions: NOLA_Mike
Electricity came into mainstream usage/relevance after SI, so there weren't any legacy units in use. The same units and terms were adopted in both SI and English systems - even though it means the English system now has two versions of power, horsepower for mechanical and watts for electrical.

If it makes you happier, we can calculate it in horsepower hours - or we can stop using the weird hobbled kilowatt hour and just measure energy in Megajoules, which is what a proper SI country should really do, but AFAIK no one does.

After all, hours aren't an SI unit...

(And a 270 MJ battery sounds more impressive than a 75 kWh battery - and most EVs are somewhere close to 1 mile per MJ, which is undoubtedly more relevant in places that use obsolete units like miles...) :)

True, hours are not an SI unit, but seconds are, meaning that hours are what's known as a "derived SI unit". Similarly, my understanding is that both the joule and the watt are also derived SI units. A joule is the same as a newton/metre which in turn is defined in base SI units as "kg.m2.s-2". A watt on the other hand is the same as a joule/second which in base SI units is "kg.m2.s-3". I take your point though, Tesla could validly use MJ instead of kWh.

I did have tongue in cheek when I first asked the question :) but I was trying to look at this from an American's perspective. Given that engine power is denominated in HP in the USA, it simply struck me as counter-intuitive to then use a different measure for battery capacity. Looks like @mikeash summed it perfectly with the nucking futs comment :)

Seconding the above; watch connectivity is beautiful. Thank you so much.

I did notice that most of the time I need to use the official Tesla app to wake the car, and then Remote S will come to life; it seems to have issue with waking my Tesla. Is this a known issue or something I've misconfgured?

Allen: Anecdotally (in other words, I'm not positive) I feel like if I use Remote S in the dock with watchOS 3 beta, it kills the batter life on my Apple Watch and my iPhone. It might be something else, but since it's a watchOS 1 app I'm thinking that could be the cause.

...I did notice that most of the time I need to use the official Tesla app to wake the car, and then Remote S will come to life; it seems to have issue with waking my Tesla. Is this a known issue or something I've misconfgured?
I don't have this problem, but then again I keep my Tesla App running 100% of the time in the background, because that is the only way for me to get push updates from my Tesla (new software, charging state, or if alarm goes off) and for the Calendar function to always work in the cockpit when I get into my MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.