Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allen, what happened to the updated GUI for the app you mentioned a while ago? Some (many?) prefer the 1-screen-does-all approach of Remote S but I love the GUI of the Tesla APP but the functionality of Remote S - especially things like force-touch HVAC from outside the app. Thank you
I am waiting to see what Tesla does with their so-called major update to the apps before I do another GUI. Remote S used to be simpler looking, but because I kept adding features, the one page started getting more crowded. If I had known about the new features ahead of time, it would have made designing the GUI easier. So I would prefer to know what extra features (if any) the new Tesla app will bring before I create another GUI.

In another thread 2.52.22 Autolock on walk away doesn't work - security issue there has been chatter that auto-lock may not work. In that discussion some side issues have been mentioned - e.g. if the passenger door is not 100% closed then the car will not auto lock.

I've stopped assuming the car will auto lock - too difficult to check that the mirrors have folded, several seconds later, when I am already on the far side of the car park and the view is obscured. So I just click the fob-roof in my pocket as I walk away, and check I get feedback that it has happened.

Maybe a function for the APP? but I don't know if you can detect "Car [recently] unoccupied but not locked"? And perhaps the APP would have to be running in foreground to make any alert?

In another thread 2.52.22 Autolock on walk away doesn't work - security issue there has been chatter that auto-lock may not work. In that discussion some side issues have been mentioned - e.g. if the passenger door is not 100% closed then the car will not auto lock.

I've stopped assuming the car will auto lock - too difficult to check that the mirrors have folded, several seconds later, when I am already on the far side of the car park and the view is obscured. So I just click the fob-roof in my pocket as I walk away, and check I get feedback that it has happened.

Maybe a function for the APP? but I don't know if you can detect "Car [recently] unoccupied but not locked"? And perhaps the APP would have to be running in foreground to make any alert?
I can't tell if the car is unoccupied from the API. Also I don't dare autolock someone through the app, because that sounds like something that would get someone locked out of their own car by accident. Like if you left your phone and car keys in the Tesla and walk out the car to unplug the supercharger, you wouldn't want to walk back to the car to a locked door (this has happened to me before).

Reactions: msnow
yes I agree, a Notification would do me ... but no good if you cannot detect "unoccupied". I don't suppose "has been in park for XX minutes and is unlocked" is any good - driver might be taking a nap at a Charger!
That would be nice if Apple allows me to run the app in the background, but wouldn't make much sense if you had to open the app to get that notification, because you can just look at the screen and see that the car is unlocked. This is why when the car is unlocked, I color the text above the car (firmware version & car name) in a contrasting orange color and also color the big lock icon in the same orange. This is meant to draw your attention to the fact that your car is still unlocked. I do make it a habit of checking my app to see that the doors are indeed locked (luckily Remote S updates really quickly so it only takes a second or two to check).

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I can't tell if the car is unoccupied from the API. Also I don't dare autolock someone through the app, because that sounds like something that would get someone locked out of their own car by accident. Like if you left your phone and car keys in the Tesla and walk out the car to unplug the supercharger, you wouldn't want to walk back to the car to a locked door (this has happened to me before).
I know an app who can solve that problem for you: Remote S. You can unlock your car from your Apple Watch if you did lock the keys/iphone inside the car. Ever heard of the app? ;) :p

The new update that should have fixed all the bugs was released yesterday. If you guys don't mind, please kindly leave a rating or review for the app, because whenever the app has no ratings/reviews on a new update, app sales for Remote S drops by 80%. I appreciate those of you who leave a review/rating with each new update.

I know an app who can solve that problem for you: Remote S. You can unlock your car from your Apple Watch if you did lock the keys/iphone inside the car. Ever heard of the app? ;) :p
Haha, I didn't have my watch on me at the time. What I ended up doing was borrow someone's iPhone and then unlocked the car from there.

I wish the battery voltage was available in the API but it isn't. I'm already one step ahead of you with the "extra" electrical panel and more decimal points for the power. When you're charging, close the command menu (top-left button) and you will notice two more fields on the top: The left value is the actual power going into your car's battery (this is calculated by looking at your car's battery current and multiplying it by the battery's voltage). It gives you the power up to 3 decimal points. So say it says 1 kW as the charger's power, the actual power going into your batteries could say .722 kW. (See attached image for this example).

The right value is your instantaneous charging rate. This is more accurate than the charge rate that Tesla tells you, because Tesla actually gives you an average charge rate over the entire charge session. This is confusing when Supercharging, because the average could say 150 mph charge, but in reality it is only charging at 20 mph at the moment. This may change your opinion on whether to stay the extra 10 minutes to gain just a few more miles. This value is less important in a wall charger, because usually the average charge rate matches the instantaneous charge rate.

I like the new fields at the top :).
Can you calculate and show the battery voltage as well perhaps?
If I understand correctly you know the exact battery power and battery current, it should be possible calculate voltage too: P= U I , U = P/I.

One other thing, on the previous version (before tuesday) I think it was possible to see charging/AC inlet current in additon to the power drained from the battery even when not charging. Or do I remember wrong? Is it possible to see that again?
The use case here is to see power consumtion when activating climate remotely when connected to the wall but not currently charging the battery (it was nice to see whether heating the car was partially or fully covered by the AC inlet current).

(Actually to sum up :), I would like to see all available AC charging/inlet and battery related current/voltage/power values whenever they are available :) )

Last edited:
I like the new fields at the top :).
Can you calculate and show the battery voltage as well perhaps?
If I understand correctly you know the exact battery power and battery current, it should be possible calculate voltage too - P= U I , U = P/I.

One other thing, on the previous version (before tuesday) I think it was possible to see charging/AC inlet current in additon to the power drained from the battery even when not charging. Or do I remember wrong? Is it possible to see that again?
The use case here is to see power consumtion when activating climate remotely when connected to the wall but not currently charging the battery (it was nice to see whether heating the car was partially or fully covered by the AC inlet current).

(Actually to sum up :), I would like to see all available AC charging/inlet and battery related current/voltage/power values whenever they are available :) )
I don't actually know the battery voltage. It's not one of the fields provided by the API. I did however conclude that the voltage is around 380 V based on my extensive research. If I'm wrong about it for your particular vehicle, you can change the default value in the app's settings. I don't know the exact power. But I know the exact battery current.

You are remembering it correctly. For those who don't understand what he said: Say you plug into a 12 A 120 V wall charger but the charge is already complete or stopped. The app would report the max current at 12 A on the right, and then the charger current on the left. So it would say something like 0 A/12 A if the car was plugged in but not charging. Once you turn on the HVAC, it might say 12 A/12 A, meaning that the car was using the entire charging capacity to try to power the HVAC.

However, I changed this in favor of showing the battery current, because the 12 A/12 A doesn't show exactly how much current is being used. It's capped at 12 A. Showing the battery current makes more sense in this scenario. And you can take the guess work out of figuring out whether the charger is fully covered by the AC inlet current or not by just looking at power consumption (or the rated miles per hour consumption right above it). This will tell you how much power is consumed despite it being plugged in. It is a net power consumption. The same goes for the battery current. If the battery current is negative, then your car is consuming more than it is charging, so you can just assume that it is 12 A/12 A when the battery current is negative. If the battery current is close to 0, then you can assume that the HVAC is covered by the charger.

There might be a room for improvement now that I think about it. I can show the charger current and max current when the car isn't using the full charge capacity. And then if it's using the full charge capacity, I can switch it over to showing the battery current again. I'll make the change in the next update.
Hello Allen
I really like the changes made to your "Remote S" apps.
May I ask you (for us europeans) to adapt the "Settings for the trip calculator" items for the metric system:

- liter/100 km of comparable car xx
- Price of gasoline (per liter) x.xx

Thanks a lot for your super work !
Ah, perhaps in a future release. I didn't realize that people even used that feature. It was just something fun I added.

I don't actually know the battery voltage. It's not one of the fields provided by the API. I did however conclude that the voltage is around 380 V based on my extensive research. If I'm wrong about it for your particular vehicle, you can change the default value in the app's settings. I don't know the exact power. But I know the exact battery current.

Ah, OK, I see now that there is a battery voltage setting. So the battery voltage is assumed static at 380V. I was thinking (hoping) you had power and battery current from the API, but I see now that power is batt amps * 380. A little bit nitpicking :) then:
I did a few quick searches, and it seems like we have a voltage range from about 330V to about 400V on the large packs (85/90 etc) and 300-355V or so for the small packs (60/75 etc) depending on SOC (state of charge). So the actual battery voltage could be from 5% higher to 10% lower than the static value. The power value is still useful, but I would suggest you remove a decimal or two from the top left power value since a number with 3 decimals (in my opinion) indicate a high level of precision but the real value may be up to 5% higher or 10% lower than the value shown.

There might be a room for improvement now that I think about it. I can show the charger current and max current when the car isn't using the full charge capacity. And then if it's using the full charge capacity, I can switch it over to showing the battery current again. I'll make the change in the next update.

If you also can show the AC inlet current again that would be nice. Actually I would like to see it even when the car use all capacity (example 12A/12A) from the wall since the total power used by the car for heating is battery power + wall power (whenever there is a current please show it ;)).

I will need to find a place to put that information. Perhaps where it says "Added: " on the bottom left, I can change that text to say "12A/12A" since the word "added" is not important once people are used to seeing it there when not plugged in, and will know what it means when it is plugged in.

Allen, I'd like to report something I'm seeing. If I stop charging using Remote S, which the app confirms, and then approach the car, the dashboard indicates it is not charging, but the charge port is still flashing and the UMC is still animating. I'm able to disconnect and I don't get a "charging interrupted" notification, so it really does seem like charging has stopped. I don't know if this is your bug or Tesla's. If instead I get in the car and use the CID to stop charging, the port goes blue and the UMC stops animating. I haven't tried using the Tesla app; I should do that.

Safe travels.

Allen, I'd like to report something I'm seeing. If I stop charging using Remote S, which the app confirms, and then approach the car, the dashboard indicates it is not charging, but the charge port is still flashing and the UMC is still animating. I'm able to disconnect and I don't get a "charging interrupted" notification, so it really does seem like charging has stopped. I don't know if this is your bug or Tesla's. If instead I get in the car and use the CID to stop charging, the port goes blue and the UMC stops animating. I haven't tried using the Tesla app; I should do that.

Safe travels.
Well, I'm using the same commands as Tesla's app does, so it's probably a bug with Tesla or... It could also be that when you opened the door, the HVAC kicked on, and that actually does cause the charger to charge your car to power the HVAC even though it's not actually in "charge mode". So while the dash doesn't say that it's charging the car, electricity IS flowing through the UMC to power the HVAC. So you might want to try stopping the charge and making sure that the HVAC is not on and that you didn't open the door yet. Then see if it's still flashing green or just blue.

Installed the app couple days back, to my taste is too cluttered with all the information, especially when all controls are displayed on the screen (I use iPhone7 Plus). I think it would make sense to split UI in multiple tabs. The app has more functionality then Tesla's app but usability requires some serious work.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just my 2 cents.

too cluttered with all the information, especially when all controls are displayed on the screen

I reckon you'll find that's why 99% of the folk here use it :) Agreed lots-on-screen, but once it becomes familiar its convenient to be able to see all-at-a-glance. Might just be that all the early-adopters are geeks though?!!

That said, I'm a fan of websites/APPs offering a choice of "styles" to suit a wider audience - although that increases the the development and QA effort massively.

Reactions: Saghost
Installed the app couple days back, to my taste is too cluttered with all the information, especially when all controls are displayed on the screen (I use iPhone7 Plus). I think it would make sense to split UI in multiple tabs. The app has more functionality then Tesla's app but usability requires some serious work.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just my 2 cents.
Yeah, there's a learning curve but there's also plenty of documentation. You'll get used to it....we all love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.