Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of us ... I agree it's way too cluttered and non-intuitive. The watch app, on the other hand, has a terrific GUI layout.
I bought the app to support the author but I must admit it could use an overhaul. Way too cluttered so I don't use it. I'd also like to be able to have someone else use the app without telling them to read a bunch of documentation first. I'm also eagerly awaiting the official Tesla app update so understand the author's reluctance to put more effort in right now.

I bought the app to support the author but I must admit it could use an overhaul. Way too cluttered so I don't use it. I'd also like to be able to have someone else use the app without telling them to read a bunch of documentation first. I'm also eagerly awaiting the official Tesla app update so understand the author's reluctance to put more effort in right now.
I am working on a new UI for the iPhone as well as other things. Those who followed the Apple Watch thread on here from the beginning would remember that I created Remote S because of the Apple Watch. That's why the Apple Watch app's UI is so refined and intuitive. But because Apple required me to create an iPhone app in order to sell the Apple Watch app, I put together the iPhone app quickly so that I could get the Apple Watch app out only a few days after the Apple Watch released (Apple Watch came out April 24, 2015 and Remote S was finished around the first week of May 2015). The iPhone app wasn't originally intended to replace the Tesla's iPhone app. It was meant to be a quicker way to access commands (to put all the commands in front of you right away along with the car's stats). But over the years, more and more features were added to the iPhone app, which is why it is cluttered now.

But I already have a new UI made in Photoshop for the iPhone app (it's actually part of my UI for the upcoming Android version of Remote S, which I plan on releasing this year). It's very pretty and clean looking (no clutter, larger fonts). The thing is that I'm waiting to see what new functionality the new Tesla update brings so that I don't have to overhaul the UI yet again to accommodate the new features. I won't be getting rid of the old UI, though. Some people like Bjorn want even more stats than what is already displayed. And some of us have grown accustomed to having all the information/commands right away instead of having to go through different tabs to see them. So the new UI will be optional to those who want it.

I am working on a new UI for the iPhone as well as other things. Those who followed the Apple Watch thread on here from the beginning would remember that I created Remote S because of the Apple Watch. That's why the Apple Watch app's UI is so refined and intuitive. But because Apple required me to create an iPhone app in order to sell the Apple Watch app, I put together the iPhone app quickly so that I could get the Apple Watch app out only a few days after the Apple Watch released (Apple Watch came out April 24, 2015 and Remote S was finished around the first week of May 2015). The iPhone app wasn't originally intended to replace the Tesla's iPhone app. It was meant to be a quicker way to access commands (to put all the commands in front of you right away along with the car's stats). But over the years, more and more features were added to the iPhone app, which is why it is cluttered now.

But I already have a new UI made in Photoshop for the iPhone app (it's actually part of my UI for the upcoming Android version of Remote S, which I plan on releasing this year). It's very pretty and clean looking (no clutter, larger fonts). The thing is that I'm waiting to see what new functionality the new Tesla update brings so that I don't have to overhaul the UI yet again to accommodate the new features. I won't be getting rid of the old UI, though. Some people like Bjorn want even more stats than what is already displayed. And some of us have grown accustomed to having all the information/commands right away instead of having to go through different tabs to see them. So the new UI will be optional to those who want it.
Not that I'm averse to change but I like a lot of data also and I like the current UI.

But I already have a new UI made in Photoshop for the iPhone app (it's actually part of my UI for the upcoming Android version of Remote S, which I plan on releasing this year).

Well THAT is some good news for a whole bunch of us!

I had my wife buy Remote S on her iPhone, but to be honest, she just uses the Tesla app. I, on the other hand, expect that I would use Remote S on my android phone.

Thanks!

. Some people like Bjorn want even more stats than what is already displayed. And some of us have grown accustomed to having all the information/commands right away instead of having to go through different tabs to see them. So the new UI will be optional to those who want it.

I think more stats is great, but I think it should be a separate screen with a larger font, where you can see your car with all the numbers, like an overview. Sliding once or twice should not be a big deal in most cases.

Alan, thank you for your response, I thoroughly enjoy your app. Since your app incorporates the Apple Watch, any chance of you adding charge notification alerts to the watch?

For what it is worth, I cannot get Tesla app notifications to my watch either. It does, however notify the phone with charge notifications etc.

The one thing that gets me to use the Tesla official App is the 'Waking car, please wait" message. In the absence of this message in 'Remote S' I really don't know what is happening.

What might also be useful is any indication of how the 'Waking the car' function is progressing. Sometimes waking takes as much as two minutes before the app can do anything useful with the car and so the absence of any indication now makes me scurry over to Tesla official app.

The one thing that gets me to use the Tesla official App is the 'Waking car, please wait" message. In the absence of this message in 'Remote S' I really don't know what is happening.

What might also be useful is any indication of how the 'Waking the car' function is progressing. Sometimes waking takes as much as two minutes before the app can do anything useful with the car and so the absence of any indication now makes me scurry over to Tesla official app.

I tend to think the Remote S solution is superior - in recent versions it shows when the last update from the car was, but gives you the data. So you know when you have old data. Then there's the car up top showing when you have a real time connection.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Alan, thank you for your response, I thoroughly enjoy your app. Since your app incorporates the Apple Watch, any chance of you adding charge notification alerts to the watch?

For what it is worth, I cannot get Tesla app notifications to my watch either. It does, however notify the phone with charge notifications etc.
Could be a number of reasons why you aren't getting notifications on your watch. But it's mostly just some settings you need to change:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204791

You can always assume that Remote S is trying to wake your car and connect to it as soon as you open it. As Saghost suggested, there are several indicators as to when Remote S successfully connected to your car and when you're looking at old data. It's redundant to give the "waking car" message, because Remote S is always trying to wake your car. If it doesn't gives you new data within a few seconds or if the outline of the car icon isn't a solid white, you can assume that your car is asleep. But of course, I understand that new users would not know this, so I'll probably add a message in a future update.

Sad to see that there aren't new functions in the new app. That means that I'm going to go ahead and finish up work on my new UI. What do you guys think of the Tesla's new app UI? Is this the direction you want me to take Remote S's new UI?
tesla-app-new-6.png

This is the simplified prototype UI that I've been working on:
Simulator Screen Shot Feb 10, 2017, 6.19.58 PM.png
Simulator Screen Shot Feb 10, 2017, 6.20.25 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Alain13
This is a nice clean look. The only thing I take issue with is the car graphic. I know this has been a mainstay of the Tesla UI, and other 3rd party apps have adopted it as well (Visual Tesla, for example). A low-resolution model of the car can show more information while using less screen real estate, while not crowding the display. The car image has a very low information density (door position, plugged-in status, pano roof position) while taking up a good quarter of the screen. I know there is a certain wow factor to it, but it will quickly lost on the everyday user.

Any chance you could add the ability to remotely change the Profiles?. Half the time after my wife drives the car, it doesn't change profiles as I approach and then I'm doing the yoga move to reach the button. Would love to pre condition, change it to my profile and turn on my seat heater all from my watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.