Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a very happy user of Remote S for the last few weeks, using it from iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch. However, after updating my Model S (HW2) with 17.11.3 yesterday, the Remote S app crashes as soon as it tries to connect to my car (it seems). The exact same thing happens on both iPad and iPhone! I've tried uninstall, download, reinstall - to no avail. I've also tried to play around with the general settings without effect. I should also say that Tesla´s own app still works just fine!

I'm convinced the problem lies within the Remote S app, so I wonder when I can expect a bug fix update in Appstore?
I can get a bug fix in the app store within a day. But first I need someone who has a crashing Remote S app to give me their login info so that I can see what is crashing the app. Remote S isn't crashing for my own Tesla, so it is near impossible for me to fix the bug because I cannot see it. If you're willing to hand me your Tesla login info temporarily, it would speed up my bug fixing. Otherwise I have to wait until someone else with the same crashing bug as you does so, which I don't know when will happen.

I when start the app it quickly open then immediately goes back to the iphone screen like an app crash. If i look at all the app runing on the phone it's there. Switching to the app cause the same effect. I killed the app, rebooted the phone with no luck. The only thing I have not tried yet is to delete the app and re-install it

I when start the app it quickly open then immediately goes back to the iphone screen like an app crash. If i look at all the app runing on the phone it's there. Switching to the app cause the same effect. I killed the app, rebooted the phone with no luck. The only thing I have not tried yet is to delete the app and re-install it
See post #2241 just ahead of yours from Allen. If you are willing to provide your login info to Allen to help debug the problem, PM him.

Seeing that I haven't started receiving a flood of emails saying that Remote S is crashing after the 17.11.3 firmware update, and also that the firmware isn't crashing Remote S on my own Tesla, I'm going to guess that this crashing bug is quite rare. I still haven't received any PMs from anyone with the crashing app willing to give me their login info temporarily for me to fix the bug. So if you have this bug and want it fixed soon, please PM me your login info and after I'm finished, you can change the password again. Don't think that someone else will do it, because it seems like the bug is pretty rare.

Seeing that I haven't started receiving a flood of emails saying that Remote S is crashing after the 17.11.3 firmware update, and also that the firmware isn't crashing Remote S on my own Tesla, I'm going to guess that this crashing bug is quite rare. I still haven't received any PMs from anyone with the crashing app willing to give me their login info temporarily for me to fix the bug. So if you have this bug and want it fixed soon, please PM me your login info and after I'm finished, you can change the password again. Don't think that someone else will do it, because it seems like the bug is pretty rare.

For what it's worth, I got 17.11.3 yesterday on my AP1 X75D, and Remote S seems to be working normally for me under 10.2.1 on my iPhone 6s and series 2 watch.

Someone who had the crashing bug sent me his login info. I logged in as him on several of my devices, and there were no crashes. This leads me to believe that the bug is specific to either the device, iOS, or internet connection. Since iOS 10.3 just came out recently, it might have something to do with a bad iOS 10.3 update rather than the new Tesla firmware. I suggest to those who have the crashing bug to reinstall the app and restart your devices.

Everything working after 8.1except summon from watch the homelink works summon works w tesla app any suggestions?
Try this: Open Remote S on the iPhone. Make sure that the car icon to the left of the Remote S logo is solid white. Now try to activate Summon on the Apple Watch. If it still doesn't work, make sure that the Apple Watch is paired and connected to the iPhone. Summon on the Apple Watch requires that the iPhone app version of Remote S is connected with it for it to work.

• Love
Reactions: pslawing
I can get a bug fix in the app store within a day. But first I need someone who has a crashing Remote S app to give me their login info so that I can see what is crashing the app. Remote S isn't crashing for my own Tesla, so it is near impossible for me to fix the bug because I cannot see it. If you're willing to hand me your Tesla login info temporarily, it would speed up my bug fixing. Otherwise I have to wait until someone else with the same crashing bug as you does so, which I don't know when will happen.

OK - had iOS 10.2.1 (14D27) on iPhone 6 (and same on iPad).. Uninstalled RemoteS. Updated to IOS 10.3.1 (14E304). Reinstalled RemoteS. Logged on and waited a couple of seconds for the app to connect - and it crashed (disappeared). I.e no improvement with reinstall or iOS update. As I said - it all started after the 17.11.3 firmware update!

A minor clue... After updating the iPad as well, same thing happenef, but I noticed that connection with car was establishef but within half a second or so the app disappears. So it's probably not the connection, but rather the returned data that causes the crash.

Mystery solved! The problem is that the car (after update to 17.11.3/8.1) no longer correctly reports its position. When I manage to toggle off the third button at the top of remote s, everything else works just fine. I also noted that Tesla's own app displays erratic behavior when trying to show the cars position (but it survives).

So, now I will contact Tesla support to see if they can make my car report a proper position...

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Mystery solved! The problem is that the car (after update to 17.11.3/8.1) no longer correctly reports its position. When I manage to toggle off the third button at the top of remote s, everything else works just fine. I also noted that Tesla's own app displays erratic behavior when trying to show the cars position (but it survives).

So, now I will contact Tesla support to see if they can make my car report a proper position...
Thanks for giving us a temporary fix solution.

I have already submitted a permanent fix to the App Store, and it should be available within the next few days depending on how quickly Apple reviews it. The reason why the app crashed was not because it didn't have coordinates, but rather because the Tesla API reports invalid coordinates (i.e. values not within the -180 to 180 degrees of latitude/longitude). So to fix this, I now check whether Tesla gives me valid coordinates first before I try to set the map to display that location.

Here's the change log for the upcoming Remote S version 3.3.7 (it includes things that I've working on up until now)
- Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash for when the car falsely reports its location as invalid coordinates.
- You can now tap the firmware version to display the car's name immediately instead. Useful for those who don't want to wait a few seconds to see the car name.
- Added Remote S to the complications gallery on the Apple Watch app on the iPhone.
- Added notifications for when the app is closed after issuing a command and the command failed.
- Fixed bug for charge rate not showing the decimal points accurately when using precise car stats.
- Charge rate now shows decimal points by default.
- Added icon for settings button for users who do not have a pano roof.
- Fixed bug for Summon/Homelink for accounts with multiple cars.

I got my Model S a few weeks ago, and so far, I'm loving my Remote S app, especially for its Apple Watch compatibility. It's great to be able to go for a run without taking my keyfob.

One small suggestion: would it be possible to make the four buttons visibly "press" when touched, in the car control screen on Watch? I refer to the screen that comes up when you touch the car icon, giving four options (turn HVAC on, keyless start, unlock, and lock). The Watch screen is small, and sometimes I miss the button with my fat man fingers. Right now, I can't tell whether or not I successfully tapped a button until I wait 5-10 seconds and see that my car didn't respond. But if the icon for each function would change somehow when touched (such as dimming a little, sort of like the + and - buttons do on the Watch page where you adjust the charge limit), I could be more certain.

Thanks for a great app, Allen! I'm gonna go give it a 5 star review now.

• Helpful
Reactions: msnow
Status
Not open for further replies.