TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Remote S, Visible Tesla or Tesla app

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by anth2312, Mar 24, 2016.

1. anth2312

anth2312 Member

Hi all
    I pick up my car on Saturday and looking for pros and cons and which app is best to use. If you have one (or more) of these which would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your input.

Days seem so slow when your waiting for your Tesla

• Like x 1
  2. ModelZ

ModelZ Member

Can't go wrong with all of them (especially since two of the three are free)!

They all serve different purposes, so if you really only want to stick with one, just weigh all the differences.

I have Remote S and the Tesla app on my phone (Remote S is also iPad friendly). I don't have a computer (I am experimenting with being iOS-only for a bit), otherwise I'd have Visible Tesla as well.

• Like x 1
  3. WSE51

WSE51 Member

ath2312, there is no reason to limit yourself to a single app ... I have both the Tesla remote app and Remote S on my phone. I wind up using Tesla's own app 90% of the time, but the Remote S has a few extra features (like odometer reading) that I like.

• Like x 1
  4. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Great post. I didn't even know we have options! Picking up tomorrow at 4 pm.

• Like x 1
  5. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

Try 'em all! There are roughly three types of applications for controlling and monitoring your Tesla:
    • Mobile apps that run on your phone / tablet / watch (examples: the official Tesla app, Remote S). I typically find these most useful for controlling the car.
    • Services that retrieve your car's data on your behalf and then summarize / visualize it (examples: EVmote, TeslaLog). These are good if you want some data analytics but don't want to run your own data logging service.
    • Software you run on your own desktop computer or server (examples: Visible Tesla, teslams). You get to manage your own data, but these generally require an always-on, always-connected computer to be useful.
    I've tried most of the above, but there are other softwares I didn't mention above. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, and nothing prevents you from using a combination of them.

Good luck, and have fun with delivery!

• Like x 3
  6. brec

brec Member

I also have all of them. VisibleTesla is different from the others in that it runs on a PC rather than a mobile phone, and it's the only one which allows you to schedule future actions such as turning on heat/AC.

• Like x 1
  7. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

I like Remote S because it allows some actions, like opening the roof beyond the vent position, that the official app doesn't support. I also like how I can start the app and immediately issue a command, rather than having to wait for the app to connect to the car first before I can do anything as the official app does.

I like the official app better for just checking the status of the car. The charging screen is easier to read, as is the map display. Fortunately, it's easy to have both.

• Like x 1
  8. anth2312

anth2312 Member

Good advice from all. Thanks. Looks like I will be checking them all out.

@chriSharek - Have fun tomorrow. Get some good pics of the new ride

• Like x 1