TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Remotely roll down windows?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by 0ptions, Aug 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 0ptions

0ptions Member

I'm wondering if any of the Tesla models have the feature of controlling the windows remotely via the app or button combination on the key fob? Thanks in advance!

2. GreenT

GreenT Member

3. 0ptions

0ptions Member

Well, that's not very fancy for a tech-mobile. My 2013 Cruze can do this, granted it's from a third-party OBDII device.

4. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Why you want to roll down the windows by app? :confused:
    To let a thief get your laptop you forgot on the backseat? :rolleyes:

To cool down the car you can remotely enter the temperature you want. :D

5. appleguru

appleguru Member

That's a pretty big caveat... pretty sure a 3rd party device on one of the tesla CAN busses could do this too (though, maybe not.. all depends on how tesla engineered it)

6. nowtleft

nowtleft Member

My 24 year old Citroen had the ability to wind all electric windows down from the key:)

• Like x 1
  7. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Early on this was possible, then tesla removed/disabled the feature probably due to all the people in cali wearing tight pants and the windows all being rolled down by mistake when walking away from the car.

• Funny x 3
  8. 0ptions

0ptions Member

The opposite, actually. I'd like to have them roll up automatically when I leave my car.
    I also currently roll them down as I'm walking out to get a good breeze going through the cabin before I arrive. I imagine naturally cooling the cabin would help prolong battery life versus engaging climate control.

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

no, this option was removed years ago because many complained about accidental operations from the fob in people's pockets

10. 0ptions

0ptions Member

I
    I'm surprised they didn't just port it over to being a phone app function then.
    Also, too bad it's not an option you can choose to enable or not from the dash settings.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

something for the geeks at tesla to look into

12. Barry

Barry Active Member

Rolling down a window is like...

Dialing a phone.

• Like x 1
  13. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

hhheeeeeeyyyyyyyy, don't talk smack about my tech-mobile.

:)

Does your Cruze drive in and out of the garage for you? Does it drive out of tight parking spaces for you without you behind the wheel? Does your Cruse auto steer itself for miles down the road? Does it perpendicular and parallel park for you? Can you unlock the trunk or frunk remotely from an app? Does your Cruse even have a frunk?

:)

• Like x 1
  14. KDF

KDF Member

touche'

Still would be nice to have the choice, no?

• Like x 1
  15. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

On my Lexus GS 350 it can do that via the remote. Sad part is while eating dinner at a Restaurant one day with keys in my pocket, I had accidently push hold down a button somehow. Came out to find all my windows down and sun roof open. hahaha

Luckily I parked directly in front of the restaurant and it had a line of people waiting outside. I bet they be like. Psssft, show off, the minute i walked out and realized my windows was down to cool off my car and drove off. haahha

16. kort677

kort677 Active Member

this is why tesla deleted this operation from the FOB, as another contributer offered, maybe tesla could put this feature onto it's phone app. where it wouldn't be prone to accidental operation.

• Like x 2
  17. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Hey, it happened to me, and I'm in WA!

They did have a bug on unintentional auto-rolldown - they just didn't never admitted it.

I had windows roll down once when we were far out of possible reach for anything the remote could reach. And it only rolled down 2 windows, not 4 - the remote didn't even have a way to do that - it was all 4 or nothing. So had to have been a bug that at least cause 2 instead of 4, and I'm positive that the entire rolldown event itself was a bug.

But rather than fixing the bugs with it, they pulled the feature :(.

• Informative x 1
  18. stevem

stevem Member

I would be happy with roll them all up via the phone app. Been a few times where I have left the roof and windows open and walked away only to have it start raining. I can close the roof remotely, would be handy to close the windows too.

• Like x 1
  19. appleguru

appleguru Member

Perhaps even add a tie in to one of the weather APIs... auto close roof + windows if rain is detected in a defined radius. Hey, it is the car of the future after all ;-)

• Like x 1
  20. 0ptions

0ptions Member

This is exactly why I'm shocked I can't have it on a Tesla. It should at least be a setting I can toggle on or off.