Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removable Front License Plate Mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a state (California) that requires a front license plate. But in 40 years of driving without a plate on most of my cars the only time I've gotten a ticket is in a public parking lot, usually at the airport or the Metro station .So I'm always thinking of ways to temporarily attach my front license plate so that when I go to those places and leave my car I can attach the plate so I don't get a ticket. Thought I'd share what I have done for my Model 3.

Using an idea from a forum member that posted in a different thread, I bought these suction cups on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/COTU-Suction...=1544316632&sr=8-4&keywords=cotu+suction+cups

Then I drilled two 1/2 inch holes in the bottom lip of the front license plate holder that I received with my car. With a bit of persuasion you can slip the mount of the suction cup into that hole. Then you attach the suction cup to the underside of the bumper, above the lower grill. When attached it looks permanent. But the suction cups are easy to remove when you don't want the plate on there.

I don't think this is really good if you want the plate on while you are driving (not sure the cups would hold the plate and mount securely enough) but certainly enough for use in a parking lot where you have a high probability of getting a ticket for no plate.

Here's some pictures that hopefully illustrate what I did.

Keith

Attachments

• IMG_20181208_115156.jpg
    IMG_20181208_115156.jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 187
I live in a state (California) that requires a front license plate. But in 40 years of driving without a plate on most of my cars the only time I've gotten a ticket is in a public parking lot, usually at the airport or the Metro station .So I'm always thinking of ways to temporarily attach my front license plate so that when I go to those places and leave my car I can attach the plate so I don't get a ticket. Thought I'd share what I have done for my Model 3.

Using an idea from a forum member that posted in a different thread, I bought these suction cups on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/COTU-Suction...=1544316632&sr=8-4&keywords=cotu+suction+cups

Then I drilled two 1/2 inch holes in the bottom lip of the front license plate holder that I received with my car. With a bit of persuasion you can slip the mount of the suction cup into that hole. Then you attach the suction cup to the underside of the bumper, above the lower grill. When attached it looks permanent. But the suction cups are easy to remove when you don't want the plate on there.

I don't think this is really good if you want the plate on while you are driving (not sure the cups would hold the plate and mount securely enough) but certainly enough for use in a parking lot where you have a high probability of getting a ticket for no plate.

Here's some pictures that hopefully illustrate what I did.

Keith

This looks great. I just got a ticket street parking downtown but otherwise really have no reason to believe I'll be ticketed. Would like to see pictures of yours mounted if you have them!

This looks great. I just got a ticket street parking downtown but otherwise really have no reason to believe I'll be ticketed. Would like to see pictures of yours mounted if you have them!

Thanks to this suggestion I’ve successfully been removing my license plate for long road trips and car detailing. It’s much more difficult to get the plate back on in the winter but if it’s in the house (or warm car?) for an hour before you mount it, it’s just fine.

84EAB710-3EDF-4A52-977D-0E2DF98F7726.jpegAD2803A4-B9C2-4572-B705-6B2C56FFCC6F.jpeg

I took tesla OEM plastic bracket and did the suction cup mod,
eventually went to license plate wrap for cleaner look...

I still have the tesla bracket, license plate wrap got final approval
so I don't need it anymore, stays put up to triple digit speeds!

$20 bucks and it's yours 92118!

00q0q_hYyr4AlXyVw_0CI0jO_1200x900.jpg
00U0U_5dUtsCl1Yc9_0CI0lW_600x450.jpg