Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removable Steering Wheel - A Smart Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SOULPEDL

Cyber-Bandit is Ready!
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2016
Arizona
Referral Code
Ever since hearing Elon's comment about the Model Y potentially without a steering wheel, I came to some conclusions. It goes along with that mystery cabin camera, suggested by some, that it could be for the ride-sharing business model to ID passengers and cabin activity.

So now I'm convinced that he will make the models in the future with a steering wheel (because it will be decades before we won't want to drive), but also removable in case we want to get some residual income off our cars or market to fleets. I even think he's already planned this into the Model 3.

Technically, it could be an automatic software change and I imagined my Model 3 without the wheel. Wow, almost perfectly symmetrical dash which is maybe why the screen in the center vs other Models. Code could be easily be written to sense the presence of any of the steering wheel sensors, and switch to FSD automatically. And if it were a ride-sharing vehicle, the steering wheel and pedals would be in the way for one of the passengers.

So why wouldn't he do this on the Model Y?
And did he already do it on the Model 3, we just weren't told yet?