TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Removal of Exeter Sainsbury's Supercharger

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by dpeilow, Sep 2, 2016.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

The supercharger at Exeter Sainsbury's has been permanently removed and is being replaced with generic 11 kW charging posts.

While the value of having superchargers in a supermarket carpark is somewhat dubious, it's a little worrying that this is happening without a proper replacement ready. Now the 2 stall SC at Dart's Farm is the only way to the south west.

What's more, Tesla hasn't updated their own website map.

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, that is odd. Did the landlord have some dispute with Tesla and cancel the Supercharger lease/rental or whatever the arrangements was? Did the local utility decide they didn't want to provide the necessary power feed?

I am sure Tesla is not happy about the situation.

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

That is weird... One of few SCs that have been installed that I've heard close.

5. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

My reading of that sign suggests the SC is returning and will only be closed during the tedevelopment. Its poorly written. Perhaps someone can enquire?

6. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

No it's definitely going.

The agreement with Sainsbury's was announced with some fanfare when Tesla desperately needed sites in the UK but it only ever resulted in this one and the one in Sainsbury's Winchester (my usual supermarket for the last 13 years). The latter is quite busy but I don't think Exeter was widely used, with people apparently preferring the Dart's Farm site. No doubt Sainsbury's also received complaints from drivers of other manufacturers' EVs too and I doubt it resulted in much extra custom for them.