Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove 6-Seater Rear Center Console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey

Has anyone tried to remove the 6 seater rear Center Console?

I would like to order the 6 seater with this option, as it would be a better choice for us most of the time.
I have no problems using 30-60 minutes to remove / install it again when needed.

So have anyone done this? Any input would be much appreciated

In my ideal world all MX would be built with the 6-seat monopost configuration(like it is today), and have the option of snapping either a center-console or a 7th seat into the middle position in the 2nd row - needs to be user swappable without much effort. This would solve all problems and give the customers the ultimate in flexibiltiy, 6-seats with/without console when you want it for the comfort when you're hauling <7 people around, and the full 7 seats in the rare instances when you are hauling 7.

We finally got to take our 6 seater plus mid console home a few days ago - we've been driving a loaner since we took "delivery" at quarter end as there were a number of items they needed to fix... a story for a separate thread maybe...) . It's primary the wife's car, but I'll try to investigate over the weekend when I have more time. If I recall, the inside console compartment is not too deep and I'll have to see if that plastic can be removed without damage to see the floor mounting points.

Any update here pakman00?
Sorry, we just got our model X back from the service center for the 2nd time around so unfortunately we haven't had the car long enough to look into this more. I did notice that there are two bolt heads under the rubber mat inside the console storage section (see photo). The bolt heads are pretty small in size and located towards the rear compartment, so I doubt those run all the way down. Also oddly the liner seems to sit over whatever the bolts are holding, but I can't figure out how to safely remove the liner; it might be just glued in. Hope you understand my reluctance to tear apart our new car... I suspect the front vertical panel on the outside might pop off as that felt hollow, but again I'd rather not blindly try to pry that off and break something. Sorry that I'm not able to provide any useful info.
20170820_210015-1512x2016.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Sorry, we just got our model X back from the service center for the 2nd time around so unfortunately we haven't had the car long enough to look into this more. I did notice that there are two bolt heads under the rubber mat inside the console storage section (see photo). The bolt heads are pretty small in size and located towards the rear compartment, so I doubt those run all the way down. Also oddly the liner seems to sit over whatever the bolts are holding, but I can't figure out how to safely remove the liner; it might be just glued in. Hope you understand my reluctance to tear apart our new car... I suspect the front vertical panel on the outside might pop off as that felt hollow, but again I'd rather not blindly try to pry that off and break something. Sorry that I'm not able to provide any useful info.
View attachment 242707
That looks a whole lot like the console from the old executive rear seat package on the Model S. To take that console out you remove the two bolts under the rubber mat you can see in your pic and then there are two other bolts under the rubber mat in the cupholders.

• Informative
That looks a whole lot like the console from the old executive rear seat package on the Model S. To take that console out you remove the two bolts under the rubber mat you can see in your pic and then there are two other bolts under the rubber mat in the cupholders.

Good point. And thanks for the great info guys.

I wonder if there are such bolts underneath the rubber mats of both the rear comparment and the center console cupholders... that once those for are removed, lift up and expose perhaps a structural stand the console is sitting on? That can then be removed...

Good point. And thanks for the great info guys.

I wonder if there are such bolts underneath the rubber mats of both the rear comparment and the center console cupholders... that once those for are removed, lift up and expose perhaps a structural stand the console is sitting on? That can then be removed...
I put some more though into it last night. I'm speculation now that the screws under the rubber mat and the possible screws under the cupholder mat are just for the plastic carrier for the upper part of the console. I now think that it's mounted similarly to the front console and you will have to remove the front and rear trim panels to access the bolts that attach it to the floor. I would have to see more pics of the console sides to help verify my assumption.

• Helpful
I put some more though into it last night. I'm speculation now that the screws under the rubber mat and the possible screws under the cupholder mat are just for the plastic carrier for the upper part of the console. I now think that it's mounted similarly to the front console and you will have to remove the front and rear trim panels to access the bolts that attach it to the floor. I would have to see more pics of the console sides to help verify my assumption.

Good thinking, thank you.

Out of curiosity, what was your change of reason or circumstance?

(Personally I love the console-less 6-seater, but just interested in the reasons why people like it.)

It was a "last minute change" before the order got confirmed. . Stupid as I am, I got a wild thought that it may be cool or practical for the kids to have this for placing the bottles, or other stuff that normally is flying around back there. Good intentions all in all, but after "telling them" my decision, I kind of got verbally beaten up. They loved the 6 seater for the possibility to move from 2 to 3`d row when driving. They loved the freedom, and me too. ( One kid in 2`d and one in 3`d is sometimes more quiet)
So, I have to take responsibility for my stupid action`s by finding out how to get rid of it.....:oops::oops:

It was a "last minute change" before the order got confirmed. . Stupid as I am, I got a wild thought that it may be cool or practical for the kids to have this for placing the bottles, or other stuff that normally is flying around back there. Good intentions all in all, but after "telling them" my decision, I kind of got verbally beaten up. They loved the 6 seater for the possibility to move from 2 to 3`d row when driving. They loved the freedom, and me too. ( One kid in 2`d and one in 3`d is sometimes more quiet)
So, I have to take responsibility for my stupid action`s by finding out how to get rid of it.....:oops::oops:

Understood. :)

Luckily, @Mjølner, I think once you get to removing the center console, placing e.g. a 6 seater winter mat back there should cover everything up nicely - assuming it is bolted down on a somewhat level base...

I do agree the open six seater works really well for third-row access and for third-row foot space. I don't think anyone ever uses easy entry in my car except myself when I'm re-arranging the back for cargo or something.

On the flipside, the second row seats certainly could use armrests at times.

In my ideal world all MX would be built with the 6-seat monopost configuration(like it is today), and have the option of snapping either a center-console or a 7th seat into the middle position in the 2nd row - needs to be user swappable without much effort. This would solve all problems and give the customers the ultimate in flexibiltiy, 6-seats with/without console when you want it for the comfort when you're hauling <7 people around, and the full 7 seats in the rare instances when you are hauling 7.
You mean like my 2011 Toyota Sienna. 7 passenger, with snap in 8th seat.