Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove autopilot from car configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Is it possible to remove autopilot from the cars software configuration so traffic aware cruise control is replaced with “ordinary” cruise control?
The roads i drive on is not suitable for TACC and phantom braking is occurring so often that I can not use it.
Therefore i want to permanently remove the autopilot package from the configuration.
Do they do this on request at a Tesla service center? Or is it possible to make this configuration change without Teslas help?

Reactions: emiliorescigno
Hi,
Is it possible to remove autopilot from the cars software configuration so traffic aware cruise control is replaced with “ordinary” cruise control?
The roads i drive on is not suitable for TACC and phantom braking is occurring so often that I can not use it.
Therefore i want to permanently remove the autopilot package from the configuration.
Do they do this on request at a Tesla service center? Or is it possible to make this configuration change without Teslas help?

No, I don't think this is possible. Tesla does not offer "ordinary" cruise control. Tesla only offers traffic aware cruise control.

• Disagree
I am mostly interested in if it is possible to do in second hand cars prior to 2019. I know that some of the first model 3 was possible to get without AP, an that these hav regular cruise control. I also know of some Model S that was ordered without AP. They have normal cruise control. Therefore I believe that this must be a configuration setting and that the functionality of a normal cruise control exists in software if configured.
Can anyone other than the Tesla service centre do changes in the car configuration settings?

I am mostly interested in if it is possible to do in second hand cars prior to 2019. I know that some of the first model 3 was possible to get without AP, an that these hav regular cruise control. I also know of some Model S that was ordered without AP. They have normal cruise control. Therefore I believe that this must be a configuration setting and that the functionality of a normal cruise control exists in software if configured.
Can anyone other than the Tesla service centre do changes in the car configuration settings?

Those cars without AP dont have anything (they dont have "regular" cruise control either, I am fairly sure).

• Disagree
Those cars without AP dont have anything (they dont have "regular" cruise control either, I am fairly sure).
My 2012 Model S has a dumb cruise control. When Tesla came out with Autopilot in 2014, I asked and the Tesla lady said you would still have a regular cruise control even if you didn’t buy Autopilot.

When Tesla came out AP2, I wrote an email to the Tesla sales lady and she wrote:

"To answer your question: Without adding Enhanced Autopilot in AP1 or AP2 cars, the car will still have basic cruise control - not traffic aware cruise control."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My 2012 Model S has a dumb cruise control. When Tesla came out with Autopilot in 2014, I asked and the Tesla lady said you would still have a regular cruise control even if you didn’t buy Autopilot.

When Tesla came out AP2, I wrote an email to the Tesla sales lady and she wrote:

"To answer your question: Without adding Enhanced Autopilot in AP1 or AP2 cars, the car will still have basic cruise control - not traffic aware cruise control."

I guess that shows my "model 3" slant, lol. I am not familiar with model S, so should have excluded it from my statement. I dont think "model 3s" have regular cruise control without AP, but I am not 100% sure of that either. I bought my model 3 in 2018 (prior to autopilot being standard) but I bought EAP at the time.

I think on a model 3, they only have whats called the AP safety features.

The tesla link regarding autopilot has a bunch of information around which cars can have autopilot, etc.