Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove center console on 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have a Sep 2017 build model S. A credit card fell behind the center console (note: do not leave a credit card on top of the center console sliding door), and I’m trying to see how hard it would be to remove the center console to retrieve it.

I checked the thread and the instructions at Has anyone figured out how to remove the Premium Center Console?, however the console looks different on my 2017, where the console came standard. The side trim pieces are 1 single piece covering both the side of the center console and of the armrest (see photo), so the part about removing the side trim doesn’t seem to apply directly.

Did anybody successfully remove the center console on one of these later builds?

Attachments

• 18D2B771-168F-4905-BFC6-68CF97E79733.jpeg
    18D2B771-168F-4905-BFC6-68CF97E79733.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 1,370
I have the older optional center console, so I have also lost things into its innards. But I would caution you to first be absolutely sure that the card is not where you can get it. In the older consoles, at least, thin objects can become lodged under the rotating door (door that covers the area where the USB plugs are), or far forward in the space where the cupholders are. You are probably correct, but do as thorough a search as you can (if you haven't already), using flashlight, positioning the doors every way you can, removing the cupholders, etc.

So I have a Sep 2017 build model S. A credit card fell behind the center console (note: do not leave a credit card on top of the center console sliding door), and I’m trying to see how hard it would be to remove the center console to retrieve it.

I checked the thread and the instructions at Has anyone figured out how to remove the Premium Center Console?, however the console looks different on my 2017, where the console came standard. The side trim pieces are 1 single piece covering both the side of the center console and of the armrest (see photo), so the part about removing the side trim doesn’t seem to apply directly.

Did anybody successfully remove the center console on one of these later builds?
I've had that happen a few times. The first time I asked the service center and they found it for me. Took them about 5mins. The second, I did it myself. If you pop one or both of the side trim pieces off, you can see up into the supporting mechanism behind the door; the part up under the touch screen. That's where my cards were hanging out. I've only ever had to remove one of the side-trim pieces when I've lost stuff in there.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I've had that happen a few times. The first time I asked the service center and they found it for me. Took them about 5mins. The second, I did it myself. If you pop one or both of the side trim pieces off, you can see up into the supporting mechanism behind the door; the part up under the touch screen. That's where my cards were hanging out. I've only ever had to remove one of the side-trim pieces when I've lost stuff in there.

Was this on the older, optional console, or the newer one with the 1 piece side-trim going all the way to the armrest? If so, how much of the trim did you remove? It looks like the seats would prevent me from popping it out entirely.

Worth a try. Any hint on how to remove the cubby? cubby removal - anyone know how? Says to pull down and out, but I’d like some second opinion if possible before I break something :)
Down and out, pretty hard. You probably won't break anything. ;) If you're afraid to try, DM me and we can meetup somewhere and work on it together. I have some trim-panel pry tools that we can use to avoid marring the finish.

Down and out, pretty hard. You probably won't break anything. ;) If you're afraid to try, DM me and we can meetup somewhere and work on it together. I have some trim-panel pry tools that we can use to avoid marring the finish.

Thanks for the offer. I did manage to get the cubby out. I could get a glimpse of the credit card, but it’s still unreachable. Not worth the effort to try further to retrieve it. At least I established that it won’t hurt anything where it it located. On the bright side, I did manage to retrieve an old gym card that apparently made its way there the same way.

• Funny
Reactions: Jimmy 1
Thanks for the offer. I did manage to get the cubby out. I could get a glimpse of the credit card, but it’s still unreachable. Not worth the effort to try further to retrieve it. At least I established that it won’t hurt anything where it it located. On the bright side, I did manage to retrieve an old gym card that apparently made its way there the same way.

I have used a piece of flexible wire with a double stick tape on the tip it to get items. Glad you found the gym card!

I lost my ID on the sliding top. Popping out the cubby worked to find it. Thank you!
hey
I just lost my work badge cum parking cum prox card [ all in one]
I tried to get the cubby out but it is bending and not popping down. also there is not much space beneath the cubby to give it a push
can you kindly message me, on where / how to push
mine is a 18 MS

@John41, I installed the full sides, center console et al in my 2013. Start at the front top of the panel and work back toward the armrest. There are no screws holding these panels into the sides. Once you get the left and right panel pulled away the cubby has 4 u-clips that just snap under the touch screen, 2 near the front and 2 near the rear. Just push down at the front and then and then at the rear, and they cubby will pop off. Note that I have seen some cubbies with only 2 clips at the front and the rear has tabs.

driver side panel removed.JPG
tesla cubby.jpg

@John41, I installed the full sides, center console et al in my 2013. Start at the front top of the panel and work back toward the armrest. There are no screws holding these panels into the sides. Once you get the left and right panel pulled away the cubby has 4 u-clips that just snap under the touch screen, 2 near the front and 2 near the rear. Just push down at the front and then and then at the rear, and they cubby will pop off. Note that I have seen some cubbies with only 2 clips at the front and the rear has tabs.

View attachment 551125
View attachment 551127
Mine looks more like a tray, 2017 MS

Unsure of the different configurations, but Tesla's EPC shows this illustrated with 4 clips. I've seen several with 2 clips and tabs on eBay.

Although there are 2 part numbers, this site shows the 1018893 part as having 4 clips. Perhaps 1018893 is for RHD and 1045057 is for LHD?
tesla-epc-cubby.png tesla-2clip-cubby.png

I checked the thread and the instructions at Has anyone figured out how to remove the Premium Center Console?, however the console looks different on my 2017
It is different as of 2017. I just fully removed it and took it fully apart to reroute the USB to the glove box, install some LEDs, some switches, cables and an extra 12 V socket. If someone wants to know how to take it out, just ask. (I also took quite some pictures.)