Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove center console on 2017 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me today for my license. I took off the little cubby below the screen and popped open the side trim of the center console, but still could not find it, even though I’ve found other cards that were stuck in there. I’d love to know how to fully remove the center console for a 2017 Model S to see if it’s stuck under the console entirely…

After you pull the cubby, pop the sliding lid off. If it's not there, then it's probably behind the console and the chassis that holds the console. This install guide should be helpful, between steps 23 and step 35. I'd first start by popping off the 2 sides (parts 7 & 8 from the Tesla parts diagram). Pull the rubber mat out of the center console. There should be a couple of bolts (possibly screws) holding the center console to the frame under the mat, and then 2 underneath the 12V lighter socket and USB plug near the rear (see the Tesla parts diagram, screws 28 and 45). If I recall correctly, you should be able to pull the center console out after removing those 3-4 bolts/screws. I can't remember if I had to remove the USB faceplate (part 24) which would require removing the trim from the rear of the center console. Good luck, post back when you find your card!

After you pull the cubby, pop the sliding lid off. If it's not there, then it's probably behind the console and the chassis that holds the console. This install guide should be helpful, between steps 23 and step 35. I'd first start by popping off the 2 sides (parts 7 & 8 from the Tesla parts diagram). Pull the rubber mat out of the center console. There should be a couple of bolts (possibly screws) holding the center console to the frame under the mat, and then 2 underneath the 12V lighter socket and USB plug near the rear (see the Tesla parts diagram, screws 28 and 45). If I recall correctly, you should be able to pull the center console out after removing those 3-4 bolts/screws. I can't remember if I had to remove the USB faceplate (part 24) which would require removing the trim from the rear of the center console. Good luck, post back when you find your card!
Thanks so much for the pointers!

Thanks for the offer. I did manage to get the cubby out. I could get a glimpse of the credit card, but it’s still unreachable. Not worth the effort to try further to retrieve it. At least I established that it won’t hurt anything where it it located. On the bright side, I did manage to retrieve an old gym card that apparently made its way there the same way.
I just lost my Drivers License and my 8-year old felt it behind the sliding cover… I got the cubby off and now am having difficulty with the rest. Ugh! If only I’d known this could happen! (Kinda probably shoulda used common sense but whatever…)