TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Remove center console?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by StephRob, Jul 12, 2016.

1. StephRob

StephRob Member

I just took delivery of a refreshed 90D to replace my three and a half year old Model S. I am finding that I really strongly dislike the new center console and miss that open space in my old car. In my opinion, the center console is a tremendous waste of space and makes the front of the car feel much more cramped.

So my question is: is it possible to remove it? I'd be willing to invest some money in its removable - I dislike it that much.

Thanks

2. Nosken

Nosken Member

If you remove it, I may be interested if it will fit in my 2015 Model S. What wood trim do you have?

3. stallhorn

stallhorn Member

I'm so happy I got my MS just before they started installing that thing. I drove a loaner with it and really hated it.

Good luck with the removal.

4. BertL

BertL Active Member

OP, I didn't receive any help trying to remove the original Premium Center Console, but if you end-up taking it upon yourself as I did to extricate your console from your refreshed MS, perhaps my post on what I went through will help. IDK how much things inside are the same or not between the two, but perhaps my post may at least give you a start. Good luck.

5. StephRob

StephRob Member

BertL: Wow, that was seriously brave to attempt that yourself! It's way beyond my capabilities, but you've definitely given me hope that it may be possible. However, as I look at it, it's really integrated into the main cup holder console, which was in the older models. I think it's going to be major surgery to get it out.

I can only think that Elon must hate this thing. Really badly designed and takes up so much room for absolutely nothing.

Nosken: I have figured ash and black leather in my car, but there is no wood at all on the console. Plenty of black leather on the sides though.

Between not liking the console and not being thrilled with my color choice (got silver, should have gotten titanium), I'm really tempted to trade it in for one of the pre-refresh test drive cars they're trying to get rid of on the website. :-(

6. ddimit

ddimit Member

For those interested , I just did the upgraded console in my 2015 S and I have the old "bowling alley" with Obeche matte Yacht floor available.