Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove Enhanced Autopilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put money towards a 2017 model s 75D (inventory not custom order) on Saturday. I was told they could take off the Enhanced Autopilot if I didn't want it as the car already has it. It would be $5000 cheaper. I agreed and that's what we went with. It will be delivered from out of state in 2 weeks. Now, I'm wondering, should I spend the $5000 to keep the Enhanced Autopilot?

I won't be taking a whole lot of road trips - 1 a year if that. Will be used for weekends and going out. Probably won't use it too much in the winter time. Thoughts?

...should I...

I treat it as if it's a cruise control. It is very helpful for me but without paying attention to it, accidents still can happen.

Some people feel fine if they don't have a simple cruise control.

Now I know what a cruise control is, I would go nut if I don't have it.

The same with Autopilot. It would be fine if I didn't have it, but now I have experienced it, I go nuts without it!

If you had no plans on using Autopilot (especially since it AP2.0) from the get go. I'm wondering why you didn't buy a used Model S instead. Would've saved you a whole bunch of money to buy a pre-autopilot Model S.

I feel as though since you are getting a new 2017 you might as well get enhanced autopilot. You can skip out on Full Self Driving for now and do the over the air software update at a later time.

Reactions: JHWJR
If I drove on the highway once a year, I would opt out for now. But I cruise on the highway at night plenty, and I drive in stop-and-go traffic almost every day. The EAP is such a pleasure and I don't ever want to be without it again. It's NOT just for "road trips."

Disclosure: I just drove from Pittsburgh to Chicago to NYNY to Pittsburgh (about 1700 miles) in 46 hours and it is DEFINITELY superb for road trips too.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
If you had no plans on using Autopilot (especially since it AP2.0) from the get go. I'm wondering why you didn't buy a used Model S instead. Would've saved you a whole bunch of money to buy a pre-autopilot Model S.

I feel as though since you are getting a new 2017 you might as well get enhanced autopilot. You can skip out on Full Self Driving for now and do the over the air software update at a later time.
When I looked at the used 75D or anything with D, it was fairly closed within a couple grand to the inventory models after tax incentives. The one I got was supposedly over $10000 off - I'd like to think it's accurate and a great deal lol. I haven't seen anything come close to that price. Could I spend $5000 more? Sure but I hate to spend on a feature that I might not use at all.

When I looked at the used 75D or anything with D, it was fairly closed within a couple grand to the inventory models after tax incentives. The one I got was supposedly over $10000 off - I'd like to think it's accurate and a great deal lol. I haven't seen anything come close to that price. Could I spend $5000 more? Sure but I hate to spend on a feature that I might not use at all.

I gotcha. I meant more like a 2013/Early 2014 Model S that didn't have autopilot hardware. You can find them in the 50's to even 40's in price.

Personally, I bought a Model S because I wanted a car that felt modern. OTA software updates, all electric, and autopilot are essential bits of that recipe. I use autopilot for about 80-90% of my driving around town and on the highway and find myself really missing it when I drive my wife's Honda.

I put money towards a 2017 model s 75D (inventory not custom order) on Saturday. I was told they could take off the Enhanced Autopilot if I didn't want it as the car already has it. It would be $5000 cheaper. I agreed and that's what we went with. It will be delivered from out of state in 2 weeks. Now, I'm wondering, should I spend the $5000 to keep the Enhanced Autopilot?

I won't be taking a whole lot of road trips - 1 a year if that. Will be used for weekends and going out. Probably won't use it too much in the winter time. Thoughts?
AP/EAP is a very advanced cruise control, but as others have said, you still have to pay attention all the time or it will get you in trouble. Do you ever use cruise control? If not, you probable won't care much for EAP after the initial amusement. If you do use cruise control, you may want to ask for a test drive with EAP and see if you like it and would find it worth $5K (plus tax). Note that you get all the safety features either way. Don't get sold on what it might do in the future, that is all hype and vaporware - make your decision on what it does today. You always have an option to activate it later if you change your mind for $1K premium. Also, on the resale value it's not going to be worth as much as some may have you believe. Look at used cars with AP1 or no AP at all, which you'd think would be a huge difference, and yet Tesla CPO pricing on a 3 year old car is almost indistinguishable between cars with and without AP (not even upgradable because of no hardware). Add to that the fact that your car will have the AP2 hardware, so whoever buys the used car can always pay to activate EAP/FSD themselves if they feel strongly they want it.

Personally I have AP1. It is most useful in stop and go traffic on a highway. I stopped using it anywhere else other than when I go to clean my glasses or something and I'd be steering with my knees anyways, but I do that only on very clearly marked roads in great weather and not a whole lot of cars around - again, better than just steering with the knees for few seconds. On our latest Model S we didn't get EAP, just not worth the money and in my personal opinion possibly dangerous (read this post if you want to know why).