Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove front license bracket assembly on a new S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently purchased a new MS. It came with a fairly obtrusive front license plate bracket I'd like to remove. The good news is Arizona doesn't require a front plate so there's apparently no legal reason not to. It happens to be bolted to the underside of the bumper with some sort of bolt that requires a special tool so I asked the folks at the SC if they would remove it for me. Their reply was to the effect that Tesla won't allow them to because it was part of the crash test configuration on the new S's and they don't even have the necessary tool anyhow. Crazy, eh?! Anyhow, I have figured out how to remove it (thanks U Tube)
but am having second thought about safety. What about structural integrity in the event of a front end impact or...other? Your comments will be appreciated.

I removed mine using 90 degree pliers for the bolts. Using heat is also recommended for pulling the double sided tape part off of the front bumper. I get as much of the left over residue off with my fingers and then I used tar and bug remover with a microfiber cloth to get the rest off. I personally wouldn’t use a putty knife. Also I didn’t remove the center three screws. Leaving the entire bracket together gives you more to grab onto when taking it off. I wouldn’t worry about the “crash testing” part of the whole deal. Although it may be true it was tested with it on, I doubt it has any effect. It may be beneficial to protect the front bumper for those who parallel park a lot. That just might be their go to answer for not removing the bracket. Front end looks far better without the bracket.

• Informative
Reactions: BornToFly
It’s a piece of plastic. It has zero effect on any meaningful crash protection.

I suppose it might result in less damage to the actual bumper in something like a 5mph impact test, but it’s certainly not a safety thing.

Anyone have links to the parts needed?

I removed it today and all I needed in the way of a 'special' tool was a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the two bolts on the bottom of the bracket loose. I also used a small amount of heat from a hair drier which made it fairly easy to just peel the backing plate off. Came off pretty clean and, after doing a small amount of cleanup, it's all clean and shiny!!!

I removed it today and all I needed in the way of a 'special' tool was a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers to get the two bolts on the bottom of the bracket loose. I also used a small amount of heat from a hair drier which made it fairly easy to just peel the backing plate off. Came off pretty clean and, after doing a small amount of cleanup, it's all clean and shiny!!!
Perfect, getting my facelift that comes with one of thees and was nervous thinking they drill into the bumper. Thanks for the video

It is easy to 3D print the 'tool'. Took only 25 minutes at the local school and just a very little amount of ABS. I have found that for stuff like this friends/shops/etc will print it for free. TMC won't allow me to upload a .STL file but I can email to anyone who wants it.
0528191429.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: mambro and TaoJones
Thanks for the video!

Locally, incredibly, I could not find the 90 degree needle nose pliers at ACE or HD so I ordered from Amazon. I also ordered a 4oz bottle of Goo Gone (recommended elsewhere) to help with the sticky tape removal (which I didn’t need).

The pliers proved to be problematic in that they were more crude and bulky than those in the video and the tips were angled, not flat, and fit into the little lobes of the bolt poorly. Consequently, it was much more frustrating than it needed to be. Fortunately, they are not in very tight (however weathering and road debris might change that).

I then took out the three front screws which freed the plate from the glued-on mount. Sitting comfortably on a stool I was at a nice angle to work my fingertips under the edge at one corner or another and gently and progressively firmly pulled it away until it popped off. Virtually all of the sticky tape remained on the car. I didn’t heat it, but it was 90+ degrees (Arizona).

Working patiently in the warm environment, I easily teased the tape off in almost one piece. No need for the Goo Gone.

In sum, I’d recommend doing this in a comfortably warm space, use smaller rather than larger angled needle nose pliers, the use of a potentially damaging instrument (eg, putty knife) likely not necessary, and be a little patient.

New to the Tesla family (MS, Dual Motor (Raven) version of 100D), and TMC has proven very helpful. Thanks!