Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
Remove Front Wheel Housing Bezel on my 2018 Model X 75D?

A mouse is happily tossing styrofoam chunks out of the crack right behind my front tire.

How can I remove the rubbery plastic cover all around above the front tire and the little half-moon-ish molding around the fender edge to get to the little fellow and give him a good talking-to? Wondering where all the fasteners are and how they un-clip.

I rather not waste service center folk's time with this.

@UncaNed The foam you may be seeing is likely acoustic foam that sits way under the firewall and is sound dampening material. The acoustic foam color is grey... if that matches what you see.. waste no time getting that mouse/mice out of there. Poison, traps with peanut butter, etc.
Do everything you can to get that mouse out of there in haste. My advice is take the frunk out (20, 10mm Metric bolts) and run a search light to confirm what is hiding in there.

No, it's white Styrofoam, looks exactly like the little beads you'd get grinding up plain white rigid building panels. There seems to be a layer of black rubbery material around it. There is no sign of a mouse in the cabin, Frunk, or anywhere else I can access; I tried laying sticky boards with peanut butter and cheese right outside the opening the Styrofoam falls out of, I tried vacuuming the opening and got nothing (no mouse in the shop vac). Yet all that ever happens when I go away is there's another pile of Styrofoam directly below the opening. I think it's a little vent slit about 4" wide x 1/2" directly behind and on the inboard edge of the front wheel.

Frustrating as hell, there's just no access to where he is, no way to put poison stuff.

I'd gas him with CO2, but dry ice is like -100F.

A hose from the Chevy exhaust into that hole to carbon monoxide him away - but that's gonna burn my Tesla.

What else to do?

@UncaNed Getting access to the area below and around the frunk is what you need to do. First take out the fabric coated liner. There are two push clips to disengage that go to the frunk lights. Disconnect those... they will detach easily if you get a close look at how the latch needs to be pressed. Then unbolt the 20 10mm metric bolts. And lift out the frunk hard plastic liner. That will reveal nearly everything below and within the frunk. I have done this on more than a few occasions. If you have any questions, I would believe the SC could aid you in this process. I know my SC gave me a hand when I had questions. But seriously don't delay... if its real... you will see what is going on. You can get a light in there and see what is going on. If you need to set traps, you can do that too. In the case of a false alarm, you will get much peace of mind. Under and around the interior frunk is where these critters focus on. If you ask a SC that has seen this before, they will confirm it. Remove the HUGE HEPA filter to see up towards the firewall where your insulation may be coming from.

Tesla Inside Frunk Inspection 11.1.2018 IMG_7188.jpg

I don't know if I'd try exhaust gasses, however there is something that would be more to the point --- gopher gassers. I think that would send them running. Obviously take out the HEPA filter first... its really effective & expensive.

-TechVP

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
I do a lot of mouse killing since I live next to a wood/field. Snap traps with shelled peanuts will get it out of there. Peanut butter also works but takes a bit more cleanup and hardens so it’s a bit more effort to reset the trap over a peanut. Peanut anything will draw them in really.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Caught him on a sticky trap with peanut butter and cheese. Used a little olive oil so the little fellow could free himself into a tall trash can, then took him on a 3 mile ride to a nice overgrown farm field. I hope he's OK.

Thanks a million for all the help and suggestions. FYI he came within about 3 hours of getting Carbon monoxided.

Reactions: TechVP
Glad he’s out. You do want to really find out how much damage that mouse caused. Highly recommend pulling the frunk. Especially if he packed stuff in. It will help alleviate a re-occurrence.
Let’s hope he/she wasn’t keeping a family in there. The SC will charge you for their $$$ time if they have to inspect anything that went wrong. Word of caution make sure you have a fully functional AC system. Don’t delay or even hesitate if anything seems out of normal expectations, related to AC. As outdoor temp sensor wires can get chewed on & cut by these mice.
-TechVP

Caught him on a sticky trap with peanut butter and cheese. Used a little olive oil so the little fellow could free himself into a tall trash can, then took him on a 3 mile ride to a nice overgrown farm field. I hope he's OK.

Thanks a million for all the help and suggestions. FYI he came within about 3 hours of getting Carbon monoxided.

You might want to leave that trap in place for a bit. There might be other mouse family members looking for a warm, dry place to sleep.

Reactions: TechVP