TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Remove high amp upgrade from inventory X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Product_Guy, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Product_Guy

Product_Guy Member

Does anyone know if you’re able to remove the High Amperage Upgrade from an inventory car? I have one on order and I’m pretty sure I don’t need that package. It would be nice to save an extra $1500!

I’m just wondering if anyone has had experience getting that package removed after ordering or from an inventory car.

2. SSedan

SSedan Member

And what do you think the labor is to have them swap in the low amperage charger. They would also be stuck with a "used" high amperage one?

3. Product_Guy

Product_Guy Member

I heard at one point it was software limited - is that not still the case?

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Not unless the car is a very old inventory one. The confusion is because until they stopped selling it as an ‘after sales’ option, it looked like you could just dial up the upgrade. It was ‘available’ after sales, but it was a complete replacement charger. But on the website, the language was the same as EAP and FSD. Confusing as heck!

For a short short while it *was* software, but for most of its life, it was a hardware swap at the Service Center.

5. Product_Guy

Product_Guy Member

That makes sense - I’ve heard of people swapping rims and other upgrades though. For Tesla’s sake, I hope they don’t allow the removal of the High amp Upgrade via hardware swap. But I am curious - I asked my OA and he is checking in with someone else at Tesla to confirm.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Seems not worth it to me... You never know down the road you might be at a destination charger at a B&B and wish you had the higher power charger! :D

7. SoCal Jimmy

SoCal Jimmy Member

You’re stuck with it

• Informative x 1