Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove safety score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm in California, i signed up for safety score via the app, although score doesn't count towards insurance rate in CA, i'd like to opt out.
it said that i can opt-out at "any time" before i opt in

I tried requesting FSD beta and then opt out via the car but the score is still there (3 weeks past).
Does anyone know how i can opt-out and get the score removed?

Safety Score is required to get accepted to the FSB beta, so you'll need to cancel your request.
Thanks.
As I mentioned above, I didn’t request the FSD beta but rather signed up for the score via the insurance option but in CA it’s not being used and it said I can opt out at any time.
I did however tried to sign up to beta just so I can opt out but the score is still present

Upvote 0
Thanks.
As I mentioned above, I didn’t request the FSD beta but rather signed up for the score via the insurance option but in CA it’s not being used and it said I can opt out at any time.
I did however tried to sign up to beta just so I can opt out but the score is still present
Difficult to tell what you did, you said you didn't request FSD beta but you did sign up for beta - one statement conflicts with the other.
You either signed up for the beta or you didn't.
Either way, beta use of safety score has got nothing to do with insurance use of the safety score.

Upvote 0
Difficult to tell what you did, you said you didn't request FSD beta but you did sign up for beta - one statement conflicts with the other.
You either signed up for the beta or you didn't.
Either way, beta use of safety score has got nothing to do with insurance use of the safety score.
Sure, i will clarify.

1. Via the app i had the Safety score tab, when i clicked on it it said i can sign up for safety score for educational purposes (because in CA safety score does not effect the rates) . it also said "you can opt out at any time"
2. was looking for a way to opt out and couldn't find a way so i requested the Beta via the car just so i will have the opt out option when canceling the beta request.
3. canceled the beta request and checked the opt out box.
4. Still stuck with the safety score with no other option to opt out.

Hope that clears it up and welcome any ideas on how to get the safety score removed.

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Tesla Insurance requires the Safety Score. Tesla wants you to be aware of your driving score (for educational purposes) to help decrease accidents, payouts and encourage safer driving behavior. Even if your state doesn't allow it to count towards your insurance rates.

Probably the only way to have the SS removed is to cancel Tesla insurance.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
Upvote 0
Sure, i will clarify.

1. Via the app i had the Safety score tab, when i clicked on it it said i can sign up for safety score for educational purposes (because in CA safety score does not effect the rates) . it also said "you can opt out at any time"
2. was looking for a way to opt out and couldn't find a way so i requested the Beta via the car just so i will have the opt out option when canceling the beta request.
3. canceled the beta request and checked the opt out box.
4. Still stuck with the safety score with no other option to opt out.

Hope that clears it up and welcome any ideas on how to get the safety score removed.
that makes sense, I see what you mean ;)
I've had good luck using the support chat from the website for account issues. The safety score is a flag on your account so they should be able to remove it for you.
The only downsides are that its only open during the week, so you won't be able to talk to them until Tuesday - but at least you're in the closest timezone :D

Upvote 0
Pretty sure Tesla Insurance requires the Safety Score. Tesla wants you to be aware of your driving score (for educational purposes) to help decrease accidents, payouts and encourage safer driving behavior. Even if your state doesn't allow it to count towards your insurance rates.

Probably the only way to have the SS removed is to cancel Tesla insurance.
This is false.

Reactions: coco135
Upvote 0
that makes sense, I see what you mean ;)
I've had good luck using the support chat from the website for account issues. The safety score is a flag on your account so they should be able to remove it for you.
The only downsides are that its only open during the week, so you won't be able to talk to them until Tuesday - but at least you're in the closest timezone :D
I actually tried contacting them through chat but the chat button is always grayed out.
It was throughout the day, mid week.
There’s a thread here about that and how it doesn’t seem to work for many

Upvote 0
There’s a thread here about that and how it doesn’t seem to work for many
I see posts all over TMC about people calling their local service center about various things, calling tesla directly about various things, or chatting up support on the web site. In over 3 years of being a Tesla owner, I have yet to be able to reach a live human with me initiatiating contact.

I feel like there‘s a massive group of people trolling the rest of us

Upvote 0
On one of the few occasions I've been able to speak to a human directly, I asked what the best way to get support.
They admitted the most direct method was to open a service call from the Tesla app.
Its worked for me most times now, even though it feels ridiculous requesting service for something in the app - apparently its the only way if chat isn't available.

Upvote 0
That’s how I initially signed up you can clearly see that it says I can opt out at any time but no word on how
6AE28946-3B98-4A9C-85F1-6AE304ED1D98.jpeg

Reactions: beachmiles
Upvote 0
Is it right that CA does not use Safety Scores to determine insurance premium? I am insured by Tesla Insurance and Safety Score shows up on my Apps even I did not sign up for it. It is frustrating when my score got hit when I am dinged for hard braking when traffic light turns when I was approaching. Should I run it or not. Also Dangerous following ding when someone suddenly cut in front of my lane. I am both braking hard and follow too closely. Cannot win.

Upvote 0
Is it right that CA does not use Safety Scores to determine insurance premium? I am insured by Tesla Insurance and Safety Score shows up on my Apps even I did not sign up for it. It is frustrating when my score got hit when I am dinged for hard braking when traffic light turns when I was approaching. Should I run it or not. Also Dangerous following ding when someone suddenly cut in front of my lane. I am both braking hard and follow too closely. Cannot win.
It's currently illegal in California for car insurance providers to use driving data like Safety Score to change their insurance premiums. If you have Safety Score enabled in California, it's only to educate yourself on your driving or if you were trying to get into FSD beta.

Upvote 0