Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

• The 'dislike' button should be removed

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • The 'dislike button should be retained

Votes: 120 60.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeff N

Oct 31, 2011
The 'dislike' button is that small "thumbs down" icon in the bottom right corner of another person's forum post that can be used for giving negative (often ambiguous) feedback. The other various feedback button choices give positive feedback.

I think human nature trends toward the negative on the Internet and I think one-click poo flinging is an unnecessary feature. If you disagree with a post I think you have an obligation to explain what you object to and why. I think the dislike button should be removed.

What do you think? Please vote.

Last edited:
;>

I think it is used properly sometimes. Like if I wrote something about someone keying my car..Or Iceing at superchargers....a dislike is appropriate for that, right?
To me, a "dislike" to such a post seems like the person doesn't like the fact that you complained about having your car keyed or a charging stall ICEd. In other words, the person disliked what you said rather than what happened to you.

;>

I think it is used properly sometimes. Like if I wrote something about someone keying my car..Or Iceing at superchargers....a dislike is appropriate for that, right?
You clicked the dislike button on my post above.

Did you dislike what I wrote or were you agreeing that you dislike the dislike button? It gets ambiguous sometimes and can result in confused and hurt feelings.

I know what you meant because you bothered to reply (thanks!) but often people click 'dislike' and do not explain what they are disliking.

Sure, maybe there is a need for 'sad' and 'angry' buttons so people can react to a post about a charging space being ICE'd. I noticed that Facebook has those now but does not have a "thumbs down" to match its generic positive "thumbs up" emoticon. I think TMC should follow the same pattern.

The problem, as I see it, is that if we have a "like" button, then order to have the opposite we need a "dislike" button. Both words are childish, 15 year old mentality, emotional comment buttons.

Instead, we should have "agree" and "disagree" buttons. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing. Good debate leads to the path forward.

"Disliking" something is derogatory in nature and leads to hurt feelings which moves us backwards -- not forwards, in a debate.

what a shame that so many are so fragile that they take someone's disagreements with them so seriously.

It's not disagreement, it's disliking. There's a difference and it's not a subtle one.

I also don't see someone who has their feelings hurt easily, and who is fragile, as being such a bad thing. In my view, there's a place for sensitive people in this world, just as much as we need insensitive, stoic people.

But leaving that aside, shouldn't we strive to make this forum as mature as possible? Or do we just dumb ourselves down to the level of most 15 year olds posting on Facebook? Because, in my view, that's where this place has headed since the change to the new format.

In fact, my kids told me Facebook doesn't even have a "Dislike" button..

The problem, as I see it, is that if we have a "like" button, then order to have the opposite we need a "dislike" button.
I'm not so sure that the choices have to be symmetric.

Few people get upset if someone gives them generic positive feedback by clicking a 'like' or 'agree' button on their post but if someone 'dislikes' or 'disagrees' they might be offended -- especially if the feedback is ambiguous and they are left to guess or make worst-case assumptions about what the feedback really means.

Therefore, I think innocuous "thumbs up" is fine and maybe purely emotional feedback like 'sad' are fine but someone who wants to express 'dislike' or 'disagree' as an opinion should be encouraged to explain what their feedback is in more detail by having to write a real forum reply.

The dislike button I think is working just fine as is. I like being able to click on someone's profile and get a glance at how their posts are received. There's nothing wrong with having some dislikes, not everyone is going to agree with you. But if someone has 90% dislikes and very few of their posts are liked, they are likely a troll.

Consequently sometimes I'll see a post that several people have disliked but I agree with. I'll make sure to like it so the person knows at least some people agree with them.

And it absolutely should be used towards the poster, not towards the situation.

If having your posts disliked is hurting your feelings, you probably shouldn't be on an internet forum.

Reactions: pchilds
The dislike button I think is working just fine as is... And it absolutely should be used towards the poster, not towards the situation.

We then we will agree to disagree. Or do we like to dislike? I think some people do like to dislike. And for me, using something towards the poster, rather than the situation, is basically an ad hominem attack, which is something I think we should really strive to avoid.

Reactions: ohmman
We then we will agree to disagree. Or do we like to dislike? I think some people do like to dislike. And for me, using something towards the poster, rather than the situation, is basically an ad hominem attack, which is something I think we should really strive to avoid.
I think what he may have meant was the "dislike" should be applied to what was said by the poster, rather than to the issue/situation being discussed. I don't think he was advocating its use for ad hominem attacks.

Last edited: