Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

• The 'dislike' button should be removed

Votes: 79 39.7%
  • The 'dislike button should be retained

Votes: 120 60.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use dislike when I dislike the situation (like the keyed car). I think it is unlikely we can all come to consensus of what it should be used for. I reject the notion that I can only use it to dislike what someone says, or to dislike the person.

I use dislike when I dislike the situation (like the keyed car). I think it is unlikely we can all come to consensus of what it should be used for. I reject the notion that I can only use it to dislike what someone says, or to dislike the person.
Ergo the problem with that button: without further input from the disliker, the dislikee, as well as those viewing the post, have no idea why the post was disliked. And the disliker has failed to communicate with the poster and others why he/she found the post or poster so dislikeable. If someone is going to dislike a post, they should follow-up with their own post explaining what they didn't like. If the post isn't worthy of the time it takes to post a response, then it's not worthy of the time it takes to click the button... just ignore it (especially if the post is from a troll).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N
I'm fine with the dislike button. I won't lose any sleep over my post having dislikes. The only issue I have with the dislike is the ambiguity of the person's intent. A dislike most often implies one of these two, very different things:
  1. I disagree with/dislike what you said.
  2. It's a sad/unfortunate thing you posted about, which I dislike.
That's the only downfall I see of using the dislike button. Sometimes I wonder if I click dislike, is someone going to get all pissy with me or will they understand that I'm just disliking their misfortune (e.g. a delay in production/delivery of their Tesla).

• Disagree
Reactions: taurusking
We then we will agree to disagree. Or do we like to dislike? I think some people do like to dislike. And for me, using something towards the poster, rather than the situation, is basically an ad hominem attack, which is something I think we should really strive to avoid.

You can also look at someone's stats and if they dislike a ton of posts (way more than they actually post), then you can pretty much discount that person's opinion as being a "dislike troll" as well. I think it allows people to indicate disliking a post without having to add clutter to the thread and potentially resort to calling names, or using an ad hominem attack as you say.

When I wrote that post (like....) I knew it would be unpopular. I wrote it to express that there was a problem, and as I sat there for an hour waiting for locals to finish charging, after taking their dog for a walk, going evidently to full charge and spending over an hour, i felt it should be expressed. It is a problem. It will get worse.

The beauty of owning Tesla is that it charges at home during part of the 22+ hours a day that you're not using it. The ugly of it is that some people who want to own a Tesla don't mind inconveniencing a lot of other Tesla owners. Sure, it's not politically correct. But what's the answer?

You think that some people don't think of keying a car? And is Tesla required to supply free charging everywhere, even at apartments? Homeowners spend hundreds, thousands of dollars to rewire and ready their place for a Tesla, don't forget, but still there are owners who think they are entitled to free local charging.

Sorry people disliked what I said, but it's an issue that needs to be figured out.

Reactions: ModelX
I think dislike is lazy and truncates the thought process that goes into disagreeing. When I disagree with a post, I find it's best to formulate my position and respond appropriately. Sometimes I realize halfway through that my disagreement was poorly placed and I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm able to better think through my position and research to back it up. Both of those exercises are valuable, in my opinion.

Like, on the other hand, doesn't cut off that process. At least not by a significant fraction. If you already agree, you may expand on the position, but the like function has removed all the annoying +1 (and worse, +1000) posts that existed before. It cleans up the conversation.

I think dislike is lazy and truncates the thought process that goes into disagreeing. When I disagree with a post, I find it's best to formulate my position and respond appropriately. Sometimes I realize halfway through that my disagreement was poorly placed and I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm able to better think through my position and research to back it up. Both of those exercises are valuable, in my opinion.

Like, on the other hand, doesn't cut off that process. At least not by a significant fraction. If you already agree, you may expand on the position, but the like function has removed all the annoying +1 (and worse, +1000) posts that existed before. It cleans up the conversation.
I disagree and I don't need to waste time explaining because everyone has the right to their own opinion and the right to share or not share the reasoning behind that opinion.

I disagree and I don't need to waste time explaining because everyone has the right to their own opinion and the right to share or not share the reasoning behind that opinion.
:)

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I view a forum as a group of people around a table at a bar or restaurant. It's a conversation. I try to keep my personal interaction here as close to that model as possible. A like is a nod when someone says something. A dislike is flipping them the bird without telling them why.

But you're not really expressing your opinion when you simply click on "Dislike" and add nothing else. As pointed out above, the meaning of "Dislike" is ambiguous, so no one really knows what your opinion is with just that "Dislike".