TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jeff N, Aug 15, 2016.

?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

1. The 'dislike' button should be removed

77 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. The 'dislike button should be retained

118 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

First of all, feelings have no place on the Internet. Second of all, I use the like button as "agree" and the dislike button as "disagree"

Sometimes I don't want to explain myself because I'm lazy. I'm so lazy I'm not even going to finish this

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I use dislike when I dislike the situation (like the keyed car). I think it is unlikely we can all come to consensus of what it should be used for. I reject the notion that I can only use it to dislike what someone says, or to dislike the person.

3. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

#23 CarlitoDoc, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2016
    Oh MY GOD....this is why this nation is turning into a bastion of politically correct xxxxxxx !!!! Seriously !!!!

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#24 BluestarE3, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Ergo the problem with that button: without further input from the disliker, the dislikee, as well as those viewing the post, have no idea why the post was disliked. And the disliker has failed to communicate with the poster and others why he/she found the post or poster so dislikeable. If someone is going to dislike a post, they should follow-up with their own post explaining what they didn't like. If the post isn't worthy of the time it takes to post a response, then it's not worthy of the time it takes to click the button... just ignore it (especially if the post is from a troll).

• Like x 1
  5. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Maybe we need a "safe space" mode so people won't have the chance to be offended by other peoples opinions.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

.*

• Funny x 3
  7. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Already have that with the "Ignore" function. :)

• Like x 1
  8. davewill

davewill Active Member

I only use dislike when I think the person is either trolling or giving out bad information. Disagreement isn't enough for a dislike in my book. I also think it's not a very useful feature and would be fine with losing it.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  9. fallen888

fallen888 Participant

I'm fine with the dislike button. I won't lose any sleep over my post having dislikes. The only issue I have with the dislike is the ambiguity of the person's intent. A dislike most often implies one of these two, very different things:
    1. I disagree with/dislike what you said.
    2. It's a sad/unfortunate thing you posted about, which I dislike.
    That's the only downfall I see of using the dislike button. Sometimes I wonder if I click dislike, is someone going to get all pissy with me or will they understand that I'm just disliking their misfortune (e.g. a delay in production/delivery of their Tesla).

• Disagree x 1
  10. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I was thinking a function that turn off the rating and the notifications of said rating.

11. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

You can also look at someone's stats and if they dislike a ton of posts (way more than they actually post), then you can pretty much discount that person's opinion as being a "dislike troll" as well. I think it allows people to indicate disliking a post without having to add clutter to the thread and potentially resort to calling names, or using an ad hominem attack as you say.

12. Dwdnjck

Dwdnjck Member

I dislike this discussion.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Active Member

Do you dislike that the Site Feedback forum exists allowing discussions such as this one? The alternative would be follow the rules, if you have a problem with it, leave! You don't have to agree with the decisions of the forum administrators, but at least you are allowed to talk about it.

14. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

While you're at it, let's change the Report button to Troll.

15. roblab

roblab Active Member

When I wrote that post (like....) I knew it would be unpopular. I wrote it to express that there was a problem, and as I sat there for an hour waiting for locals to finish charging, after taking their dog for a walk, going evidently to full charge and spending over an hour, i felt it should be expressed. It is a problem. It will get worse.

The beauty of owning Tesla is that it charges at home during part of the 22+ hours a day that you're not using it. The ugly of it is that some people who want to own a Tesla don't mind inconveniencing a lot of other Tesla owners. Sure, it's not politically correct. But what's the answer?

You think that some people don't think of keying a car? And is Tesla required to supply free charging everywhere, even at apartments? Homeowners spend hundreds, thousands of dollars to rewire and ready their place for a Tesla, don't forget, but still there are owners who think they are entitled to free local charging.

Sorry people disliked what I said, but it's an issue that needs to be figured out.

• Like x 1
  16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I think dislike is lazy and truncates the thought process that goes into disagreeing. When I disagree with a post, I find it's best to formulate my position and respond appropriately. Sometimes I realize halfway through that my disagreement was poorly placed and I'm wrong. Sometimes I'm able to better think through my position and research to back it up. Both of those exercises are valuable, in my opinion.

Like, on the other hand, doesn't cut off that process. At least not by a significant fraction. If you already agree, you may expand on the position, but the like function has removed all the annoying +1 (and worse, +1000) posts that existed before. It cleans up the conversation.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  17. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

I disagree and I don't need to waste time explaining because everyone has the right to their own opinion and the right to share or not share the reasoning behind that opinion.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

Well, there are people like MTL_HABS1909 who appears to continuously go around disliking all of my posts.

• Like x 1
  19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

:)

Thanks for taking the time to post.

I view a forum as a group of people around a table at a bar or restaurant. It's a conversation. I try to keep my personal interaction here as close to that model as possible. A like is a nod when someone says something. A dislike is flipping them the bird without telling them why.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  20. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

But you're not really expressing your opinion when you simply click on "Dislike" and add nothing else. As pointed out above, the meaning of "Dislike" is ambiguous, so no one really knows what your opinion is with just that "Dislike".

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1