TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jeff N, Aug 15, 2016.

?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

1. The 'dislike' button should be removed

77 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. The 'dislike button should be retained

118 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. kort677

kort677 Banned

there are a few people that will get a bug up their tail about someone and then go and dislike every post that they see from that someone. I pay it little mind. there are far more important things to fret over.

• Like x 1
  2. Max*

Max* Charging

#142 Max*, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    I vote to leave the disagree button.

It brings loads of entertainment when grown-ups start acting like children because someone on the internet doesn't agree with them.

• Funny x 6
  3. Sully's8

Sully's8 Member

I think we should all get participation trophies no matter what button we push. . . Everybody's a winner.

Time for cookies and milk. . . Where'd I leave my blanket????

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  4. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

So there should be a POTUS button now?

• Funny x 3
  5. Max*

Max* Charging

I just clicked a randomly chosen button to get my participation trophy!

• Funny x 1
  6. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Putting aside that the dislike feature had already been been removed (it's already changed to "disagree"). Given you have given way more disagrees than you have received, it seems you have found the feature useful.

Personally, I have only given 2 disagrees so far (and I believe it was posts I strongly disagreed), so it doesn't really effect me. I prefer the old method where a short message can be left (maybe that can return?), but similar can be accomplished by following up with a post after clicking disagree or asking why it was given after receiving one.

I think it helps to keep in mind that disagree does not mean dislike and to not take things personally. "Disagree" only means someone doesn't agree with your post, doesn't mean they dislike you.

• Like x 1
  7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Whether it's dislike or disagree, it almost always begs an explanation. So I'm on the side of removing the disagree feature to encourage those who disagree to post a constructive comment, instead.

• Disagree x 1
  8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I disagree.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Well, in the case of smart asses, I guess it wouldn't work! :)

• Like x 1
  10. kort677

kort677 Banned

isn't that how participation trophies work? just show up and you are eligible

11. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#151 EinSV, Oct 13, 2017
    The reason for my disagree, which I thought was obvious, is that I disagree that the disagree button should be removed.:)

Although I don't use the disagree button all that often, I do find it very helpful on occasion (in fact, I wish we'd kept the dislike button). I have given several reasons further up this thread. But let me give you another example. We have a LOT of people on TMC who seem to have no interest in buying a Tesla or in Tesla as a company. Instead, they are here to defend interests who are threatened by Tesla, such as other car companies, oil and gas interests, short sellers, etc. For example, we have a bunch of regular posters on this site who IMO appear to be here for the primary purpose of promoting GM and its products, while going out of their way to bash or find fault with Tesla, Tesla products and/or Tesla owners and prospective owners (often affectionately referred to by some of the GM promoters as fanbois, cheerleaders and the like).

I, on the other hand, am interested in Tesla, which is why I spend time on a Tesla site instead of, for example, a GM site. It is a waste of my time and energy to provide a response to all of the misstatements and misinformation being spread by all of the GM promoters (and members promoting the interests of other brands, short sellers, oil and gas interests, etc.). In many cases it is more efficient to just note my opinion with a "disagree." Usually, the reason for my disagree (and others members' disagrees) is pretty darn obvious.

I think the GM promoters (and others like them) tend to get lots of "disagrees." They would probably get more "likes" and fewer "disagrees" on a GM site. But it is their choice to spend time here on a Tesla site, so they probably shouldn't be surprised that people disagree with many of their pro-GM and anti-Tesla opinions/posts.

The "disagree" button, like the "like," "love," "helpful," "funny" and "informative" buttons, can be a very efficient way to communicate. In fact, when a post racks up 3, 5, 10 or in some cases many more disagrees, a large number of members can express their views without piling into a thread with a bunch of repetitive comments or "+1s." In fact, the list of most "Disagreed" posts has a large number of posts with over 30 disagrees -- what's the point of all of those people having to type out their opinions? Most Disagreed Posts | Tesla Motors Club It would be a waste of everyone's time. And turning back to the example, since the GM-related comments are often posted in threads that have nothing to do with GM, responding to them would just derail the thread even more.

If I went on a GM site (Bolt, Volt, Corvette, whatever) and constantly praised Tesla and Tesla products and criticized GM, GM products, GM owners and prospective owners, I would not be at all surprised if I got hit with a bunch of "disagrees," assuming the site had that function. Even here on TMC, people don't agree with some of my posts, and sometimes they "disagree" with them. I usually have no problem figuring out why. If I don't know and care enough to ask, I could, as you did. I can't think of an example where I felt the need to do that, although there may be some I am forgetting. In any case, that's a price I personally am willing to pay to have the disagree button available.

So, bottom line, on a site where there are far too many disagreeable people saying disagreeable things and derailing threads in disagreeable ways, the disagree button is a necessary evil IMO to make it just a tiny bit more agreeable.

But that's just my opinion. I know you disagree, so feel free to hit me with the disagree button. It won't hurt my feelings one bit.

• Like x 4
  12. Troy

Troy Active Member

Some users like @MP3Mike use the disagree button too much. Among thousands of users, it is inevitable that there will be some people who use the feature just for the kicks. Adding them to your ignore list doesn't help either because they can still downvote you. I recommend one of the following solutions:

1. remove the dislike feature,
    2. or disable votes from people on my ignore list,
    3. or hide my messages from people on my ignore list.

@jaguar36,
    I've added you to my ignore list for the downvote which means I won't see your messages, therefore, you don't need to ask me anything in other threads.

@EinSV,
    You are already on my ignore list.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
  13. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I am honored sir, thank you.:)

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Wow... I disagree with your point of view so you ignore me? Thats... wow.

• Like x 3
  15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I don't like this proposal for a few reasons:
    1. While @Troy doesn't appear to value my, or other dissenting, opinions at all; I would like to think that other people do.
    2. I don't want @Troy's posts to be hidden from me because he chose to ignore me as he does actually post good information that I am interested in, it just isn't all good. (IMO)
    3. The way he wants it to work is essentially censoring dissenting opinions, and would make his profile show only positive votes.

• Like x 1
  16. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

#156 Jeff N, Oct 13, 2017
    In case there is any confusion, that doesn’t describe me. Although I own a GM Bolt EV, I’ve been following Tesla closely for many years, have attended 2 TMC conferences, and 3 major Tesla product introductions in person (P85D, Model X, and Gigafactory Grand Opening).

I happened to post the following on another thread earlier this week:

If there was no disagree button I’m guessing one or more of those folks would write about what they specifically disagree with and then others would “like” their posts as appropriate.

Hey, I’m #10 on the list of most disagreeable posts! :)

17. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#157 EinSV, Oct 13, 2017
    Flipping quickly through the list of the "Most Disagreed" posts, I think there is value in members being able to express their opinion directly and efficiently by indicating their disagreement with the original post. This is also helpful for future readers of the thread who can quickly see how members feel about the post, without having to wade through every comment. If the original post was in good faith, a large number of "disagrees" should also be helpful to the original poster, as they might want to pause and reflect upon whether they are missing something when dozens of other members disagree with their point of view.

Congrats! If you keep this thread alive for awhile I'm sure you can move up a few spots!:)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  18. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

That’s assuming the original poster can figure out what people meant by their “disagree” clicks....

19. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Once upon a time... I gave some incorrect electrical advice here. Having it identified with a few dislikes I think was beneficial for other readers. They could properly/ immediately see that they should be extra suspecious of my post.

Some posters did later identify exact inaccuracies of my speculation but I think having a few disagrees directly on the post was healthy.

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

That statement seems a little "quick to judge," though.. no?