TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Remove the 'Dislike' Button?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Jeff N, Aug 15, 2016.

?

Should the 'dislike' button on forum posts be removed?

1. The 'dislike' button should be removed

77 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. The 'dislike button should be retained

118 vote(s)
    60.5%
  1. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

If only it were possible for people to edit or add an addendum to their posts after more than an hour or so....

This is commonly possible on other forum sites but not here.

That would be a much more effective solution than hoping new readers would notice lots of “disagrees” and then associate that with an understanding that the post gave bad technical advice.

Perhaps there should at least be some easy and obvious way to generate a request to an administrator or moderator to re-open a post for new edits.

2. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Hi. I have just received lots of downvotes from @Eclectic. I don't know why. I don't remember any interaction with this user.

I'm not sure what this feature serves other than entertaining people who downvote for reactions, making credible messages look questionable to the average reader, and discouraging people who want to contribute. I have also received lots of downvotes from @MP3Mike.

Once you lose the technical people, the quality of the forum will deteriorate quickly. I recommend one of the following solutions:

1. remove the downvote feature,
    2. or disable votes from people on my ignore list,
    3. or hide my messages from people on my ignore list.

[​IMG]

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  3. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Saw this earlier today and figured it's worth dropping here.

“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.”

Yogi Bhajan

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  4. Troy

Troy Active Member

There was an example today here where I have helped the OP, the OP upvoted my message and posted a new message to thank me but somebody on my ignore list came in and downvoted me just to be a nuisance. Of course, I could choose to ignore it but that doesn't change the fact that my message looks questionable to others and I care about presenting information in a good way.

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

The disagree button serves a few purposes that I think add alot of value to the forum. For one as quick2judge mentioned, its a great way to identify mis-information quickly and easily. Its also a nice way to show that you don't agree with someone without getting into a long argument about it. It can also act as an informal poll to allow users to see if the community thinks something is a good idea or not.

If some users are too thin skinned to be able to handle being disagreed with and are just looking for an echo chamber, perhaps this isn't the place for them.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

If there is technical misinformation on a car site, you probably quote the post after trimming it, then post up correct data and your source.

A tutorial could have more than a dozen steps, and there is a typo about the type of Loctite to be used in step 9. You put a DISAGREE on the massive doc, and suddenly the world's a better place? Naw, I don't buy it. You normally put the DISAGREE because the writer of the tutorial hurt your feelings a year ago.

But that's old school. Yeah, car forums are over 21 years old now. They can legally get drunk. And sometimes act it.

7. kort677

kort677 Banned

maybe the admins could consider having a safe space area of the site where the people who are fragile and sensitive to having their comments questioned can avoid any sort of feedback that would trigger any anxieties.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 1
  8. McRat

McRat Well-Known Member

Eventually I think the Federal Government will come to our rescue on the issue. The Americans With Disabilities Act will include 'butthurt' as a serious medical condition. They will come up with a well-written app (farm it out to the Russians) that will screen the internet for hurtful words or political incorrectnesses and replace them all with an approved list of words established by a UC Berkeley think tank.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. electracity

electracity Active Member

I wonder who are the "disagree" leaders? A scoreboard could be fun.

I assume the heavy users of "disagree" are immature personalities.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. kort677

kort677 Banned

maybe tesla could develop a tesla waambulance to transport people to safety[​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. kort677

kort677 Banned

that could be construed to be a personal attack, consider rephrasing the comment.

• Like x 1
  12. electracity

electracity Active Member

I said what I meant to say. A mark of maturity is not being particularly interested in flattery or criticism.

13. kort677

kort677 Banned

sorry, I should have added a smiley emoticon;)

• Like x 1
  14. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

Thought this was funny. Troy's statistics...

Post Ratings
    Downvotes Received: 63
    Downvotes Given: 137

Ironic.

Complains about being downvoted...while aggressively downvoting all over the forum.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  15. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

Here's a concrete suggestion: Change Disagree to Incorrect or such. That would allow marking wrong information, which I agree is a useful, while being less flammatory. If Disagree can't be removed, consider adding Incorrect as a secondary option?

As for the disagrees, the unfortunate side of it is that indeed at times it seems it does discourage meaningful exchange of thought, and turns conversation into polling instead. It is especially unfortunate when the intent or opinion of the disagreer remains unclear. A nice solution to this would be having to give a short, real reason for the disagree. I wouldn't mind having to give that to likes either.

Finally, having Disagree does potentially foster a culture of strategic or vindictive and repeat downvoting. We all get those waves of disagrees from certain someones (for example for me @EinSV is a regular so much so that I literally smile when I see the alias again, it has become a positive event) and most of us probably realize the need to use it similarly at times, just to keep the balance of opinion and disagrees on the forum. When one side uses it in a debate, the other side would be foolish not to... Which then means the feature loses some of its accuracy, because it becomes a partisan tool.

A complex topic without IMO clearly easy answers. I don't mind the current status, but can see downsides and would encourage further talk of improvements and then implementation of the best ones...

• Disagree x 2
  16. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

I don't see most of your posts so you don't get "waves" of Disagrees from me even though I would guess that I disagree (lower case) with something in 90+% of your posts that I do see.

When I do see a post that IMO is off-topic or derailing a thread (IMO -- most of yours) and I strongly disagree with it I will occasionally give the post a Disagree. I think it's a nice succinct way to express my opinion and am grateful the website has that feature since it avoids the thread getting further off-topic with pointless discussions that go nowhere and have often been beaten to death in other threads.

I personally use it sparingly (about 40 Likes, Loves, Informatives, Helpfuls and Funnies per Disagree) which I think is appropriate. Ironically, despite your complaint you use it about 3 times more frequently than I do, with a ratio of about 12:1.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

#177 AnxietyRanger, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    @EinSV Oh, it was not a complaint. I noted that the nature of the Disagree button means it results in usage patterns - one of which are your frequent drive-by Disagrees to me (no reply or explanation or thread participation from you), one of which are waves e.g. some person disagrees with all posts in a thread and another which is e.g. myself seeing the need to use the button in response to maintain a balance in the debates, when personally a detailed reply comes more natural to me. I try to do both button and reply, though. Seems fairer.

As said, your Disagrees are a positive event, because they've become so expected and formulaic that I don't know what else to do but smile a little. I certainly don't take them personally or seriously. They are just one thing that happens without any expectation of other thread participation.

It is just a nature of the beast. I am OK with it staying, but also OK with changes. Mostly I meant to observe and offer some thoughts should changes be warranted.

18. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#178 EinSV, Dec 29, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    @AnxietyRanger, as I said, IMO one of the pros of the Disagree button is that it is a nice succinct way of expressing your opinion. It is especially useful where the post is off-topic, repetitive or the poster I am responding to is already monopolizing the thread.

I personally find repeated and lengthy off-topic discussions and monopolizing of threads over and over again by certain posters (hint, hint) to be extremely disrespectful to other members and to be ruining the quality of discussion on the forum. In those cases, I believe that engaging in further back and forth just makes a bad situation worse, further degrades the forum and is unfair to other members. The Disagree button at least lets me express my opinion without playing a part in that.

Speaking of which, I felt like I should respond to your posts since you called me out by name but I am done. Bye.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

non-local-mod note: Please cease discussion of this inanity as I get a local mod to move all of these posts away. The topic is about removing the dislike/disagree button, and if you have something to say that hasn't been said, feel free to say it. But if you include specifics about particular members, your post is subject to be moved and you will be subject to temporary ban or probation.

I've got two young kids and I deal with less childishness at home than I've had to deal with in this thread.

• Love x 5
    • Like x 3
  20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'll give a big +1 to ohmman's comment. I'm the one who has to clean up the mess.

• Like x 3