Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removed By Admin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read through the Georgia tax credit law a few times and have not seen a mention of the credit being rescinded when sales reach a specific level.
It is true that the legislature tried to dissolve the law this year but they failed. Although nobody knows what will happen next year and beyond, there are no indications it will go away.
I think the righteous indignation being expressed on this thread is a result of your price not "feeling" fair.
Just as you have the right to post your car at any price here, forum members have an equal right to respond to that pricing.
Stick to your guns or listen to feedback and adjust your stance....the choice is yours.
But if you just want to put the car out for sale without feedback, ebay motors or Autotrader are better venues.

I just got the popcorn ready... I'm enjoying where this is going ;-)

nah, I'm done.

I just think it's funny, that about every two months, some new forum poster comes along and posts a "new" car for sale, with an exorbitant price tag, and some odd excuse as to why they're trying to sell it, and why their price is reasonable. In all cases, they say the same thing "if someone doesn't want to wait and has the money... blah blah blah". It's just in this case, he want overboard with the F.U.D. about disappearing tax breaks NEXT YEAR, which have NO EFFECT on the buyer of his car, OR ANY OTHER NEW CAR in the foreseeable future! I also think it's funny that the OP thinks there's some rich dude out there, who's looking for his exact car color/features/extras, who absolutely can't wait two months for a new car, AND is willing to drop $20k for the privilege. Like I said in my very first post, and I do mean it.. "Good Luck".

Ok.. now I'm done. :)

Just to play the devil's advocate and to give the seller the benefit of doubt, he DIDN'T say his price was firm. With that said....

That's true. Now if you want a good laugh, this guy does say his price is price is "FIRM". Even accounting for Canadian dollars, this is still in excess of $134,000 which makes the OP's sale price look good...

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/4677018531.html
Brand New 2014 Tesla Model S 85kwh battery,White. Panoramic roof,dual chargers,tech pkg,smart susp,parking sensors,fog lights,winter pkg,black leather,Obeche wood matt decor,wall charger. $149000 FIRM price.

I might have missed it (I did reread the original post 3 times), but the color is not even mentioned. It looks black in the pictures, but that means nothing with all of Tesla's dark colors.

If I had a dime for every time someone has said my green car is black, I could buy another car, or the car listed.

Last edited:
nah, I'm done.

I just think it's funny, that about every two months, some new forum poster comes along and posts a "new" car for sale, with an exorbitant price tag, and some odd excuse as to why they're trying to sell it, and why their price is reasonable. In all cases, they say the same thing "if someone doesn't want to wait and has the money... blah blah blah". It's just in this case, he want overboard with the F.U.D. about disappearing tax breaks NEXT YEAR, which have NO EFFECT on the buyer of his car, OR ANY OTHER NEW CAR in the foreseeable future! I also think it's funny that the OP thinks there's some rich dude out there, who's looking for his exact car color/features/extras, who absolutely can't wait two months for a new car, AND is willing to drop $20k for the privilege. Like I said in my very first post, and I do mean it.. "Good Luck".
Ok.. now I'm done. :)

What is funny Hank, is why this bothers you so....and the amount of time you've wasted with no skin in the game. You like this with everyone's posts you disagree with? Half of what you said is totally untrue...I never said tax breaks WILL disappear...just that when we finally get around to buying a replacement, they MAY not be there for me when we buy our next Tesla (see below). If I bought the same exact same Tesla five years from now and no tax breaks existed then, the same car will cost me $12,500 more. I would have paid for two cars and the net "profit" would be zero. Don't know why this is so difficult for you to comprehend. But carry on Hank...as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and you've given this post a lot. Thanks!

http://insideevs.com/tesla-supports-bill-to-raise-150year-vehicle-sales-cap-in-georgia/
http://www.dailytech.com/Georgia+Bill+Seeks+to+Eliminate+5000+State+EV+Tax+Credit/article34332.htm
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1085549_when-do-electric-car-tax-credits-expire

For, Vitaman, the GA Tax won't be rescinded when Tesla sales reach a certain level (150 units/year)...the sale of Tesla's in GA will stop entirely. People won't be able to buy in GA at all, at least until the next year, or out of state. That why Tesla is trying to change the limit...

OP,

1) This is how free markets work, specifically so in an open forum. See every newspaper that has a financials section that nitpicks, discusses, speculates, and predicts doom about any entity that dares to do business, privately *or* publicly.

2) More importantly, this is a community. Members look out for each other. If something doesn't look right, it will be brought up. I've only been in this particular forum for a day or two, but I can already sense that the members here look after each other, _voraciously_ so.

Hank has every right, as do you, as do I, to comment on the nature of your post. As do the rest of the members who will vote with their pocketbooks and validate the legitimacy of your offer.

What is funny Hank, is why this bothers you so....and the amount of time you've wasted with no skin in the game. You like this with everyone's posts you disagree with? Half of what you said is totally untrue...I never said tax breaks WILL disappear...just that when we finally get around to buying a replacement, they MAY not be there for me when we buy our next Tesla (see below). If I bought the same exact same Tesla five years from now and no tax breaks existed then, the same car will cost me $12,500 more. I would have paid for two cars and the net "profit" would be zero. Don't know why this is so difficult for you to comprehend. But carry on Hank...as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity, and you've given this post a lot. Thanks!

Ok, I really wasn't going to continue posting, but since you asked.. two things.

First, and I'm not saying you are, but some people could (and have) come to this forum to post scams or scammy looking deals. A lot of non-forum members might be reading this forum, too, who might not know the intricate ins-and-outs of buying a Tesla. So for those readers, I just want to be sure that they understand the nuances of how this all works, and possibly educate them a little bit, and even, just once, save someone from getting ripped off. But if someone reads my posts, the next time they see a deal like this (here or somewhere else), they might know better what questions to ask.

Second, and I've never said or implied that you were going to make a "profit" on this deal.. and in fact, that never even occurred to me-- I thought you were just trying to break even. But now you've mentioned that word "profit" twice in your posts. And I realized, not only are you trying to find some rich and anxious (or uninformed) buyer to pay $20k over the price of a new car and allowing you to recoup 100% of your investment, you would ALSO making another $12,500 "profit" on top of that due to the tax credits (as you said, assuming you have at least $7500 in federal tax liability). (I would also guess that you do, since you're so concerned about losing those tax credits on the Model X.)

It's one thing to have buyer's remorse and try to sell your used car at a 100% new car price to recoup 100% your costs. That's understandable.

But just because of financial decisions you've made, you now want to insulate/hedge yourself against the chance the tax credits might go away in the future, you're keeping that all to yourself, and not passing those credits along to the buyer. In other words, you're trying to defer the tax credit you get now, into a future where none might exist, at the expense of the buyer. I find that to be a weird concept, especially since those tax credits will most likely still exist for your MX long before Tesla gets to 200,000 cars.

You're basically asking the buyer to pay at-or-near full price of your car, plus your TAVT tax, no adjustment for the tax credits which you're keeping, AND the buyer is going to have to pay his own TAVT tax on top of the sales price. The fact that you want to claim and keep the $12,500 tax credits all to yourself as "profit", yet asking full price of the car, including TAVT, is where the deal starts to smell just a tad fishy.

If you had instead posted: "I paid $103,870 for this car out the door. It's pretty much brand spanking new. My asking price is: $103,870 less the $12,500 tax credit I'm taking -- I'd like to sell it for $91,370 FIRM" -- I probably wouldn't have posted at all in this thread. And if you sold it at $91370, you would be recouping your TAVT and actually breaking even. You might even find a buyer at that price which is pretty much what they would be paying for a new car, except they would also have to pay TAVT on top of the $91,370, but that's the premium they'd need to pay not to wait two or three months. That actually sounds like reasonable value proposition for someone looking for your car's build-out, today and not December.

You can ask whatever asking price you want, but I just want to make sure everyone reading this thread knows what you're trying to do. I think it's shady.

Last edited:
something's not right.. he says he's paid the TAVT, yet his car is not registered... wtf?

Oh, good catch! But I'd guess that Tesla Motors collected the TAVT and the registration is just pending or in process and the tags haven't arrived yet. So yeah, it's not "registered" as of right now... but it will be soon.

When I bought my car, it took TM almost 6 weeks to get my car registered and tags sent to me. The first temp tag expired, and they had to send me another one!

Oh, good catch! But I'd guess that Tesla Motors collected the TAVT and the registration is just pending or in process and the tags haven't arrived yet. So yeah, it's not "registered" as of right now... but it will be soon.

When I bought my car, it took TM almost 6 weeks to get my car registered and tags sent to me. The first temp tag expired, and they had to send me another one!

well, I received my car in GA as well, and TM here didn't collect tax from me, I was responsible for getting it done myself.

And also I really don't understand the connection between the tax credits expiring when OP buys his X few years from now, and selling his S today at cost plus $10000 !!

Why would the buyer today care about an aspect that supposedly is slated to happen several years down the road ?

colbert.gif

Come on guys. You really think its not common knowledge that there's are tax credits involved in a Tesla purchase? Some you act like you've fallen on to some great secret. Right now my cost is exactly what is posted...plus time and other small costs. I have received NO tax credits to date...the car isn't even registered yet (except for the Tesla temp tag from CA). And none of you have any idea how much of that tax credit we will receive. I'm a retired military pilot, and much of my other income is tax free. Our real risk, and what some of you are not getting, is that when we replace this car with a Model X, some of the tax credits very well may not be available IN THE FUTURE. That means another car may cost more... The wait list for the Model X is long, and we won't buy the first year model. And there is an EV tax credit cap of 200K cumulative sales for Tesla...probably several years down the road, but a cap none-the-less, so even the Federal tax credit will go away. And there's a good chance the GA tax credit will go away next year (look it up). And Georgia right now has a 150 vehicle cap on Tesla sales too, so there's a chance that people in GA may not even be able to buy a Tesla here as demand increases. This is not "fear mongering." And anyone here want to guarantee all of us that the government CAN NOT and WILL NOT change EV tax credit law in the future? We are all adults here...so not sure what all the hate is about. Anyhow, there have been plenty of cases where used cars have gone for more used than new...Forbes even wrote about it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2014/02/07/tesla-model-s-worth-more-used-than-new/ In any case, anyone who is able to buy a $100,000 is smart enough to haggle on the price and is fully aware of the tax credit situation I'll benefit from. I frankly wouldn't buy this way, but I'm not in a hurry to buy. But maybe someone who really wants a car for their wife's birthday, or anniversary, or some other important date and needs a car fast and is more than happy to do so. There are plenty of rich people out whose time is worth more than money. As I said...I'm not twisting anyone's arms. And if the car doesn't sell, we'll be happy to keep it.
What about tags and taxes. Won't new owner have to pay those again. Ordered before production started and with very early production and 6 month wait cars were resold at higher premiums but that did not go on for more than a few weeks. Now with ramp up people are getting cars in a month (see delivery threads). I have no problem with your trying to make money but just point to the issues. I DO take exception with your statement that you may not be able to buy the car in GA. I got mine in Virginia when it couldn't be sold in Virginia. You can always order over the Internet wherever you live

Locking in a tax-credit on the Model X, by first purchasing a Model 'S' is like a buying a put option with a $12,500 strike, whose cost could be considered the depreciation of the 'S'.

I'm still having bad dreams, since that test. We'll call it 'Tesla'trage'.

And also I really don't understand the connection between the tax credits expiring when OP buys his X few years from now, and selling his S today at cost plus $10000 !!

Why would the buyer today care about an aspect that supposedly is slated to happen several years down the road ?

Obviously, you're just not paying attention!!! :)

As the OP states himself:
Don't know why this is so difficult for you to comprehend.

He wants to claim the $12500 in tax credits TODAY for his Model S, sell the MS at full price, and at some point in the future, buy a Model X when (unlikely as it may be) the tax credits are no longer available. In effect, getting the tax credit today for his Model X tomorrow, or more likely, getting the tax credit twice.

The more I think about it, I wonder if this was his plan all along.

Wimpy.jpg
:)

"New" 2014 Loaded Model S, Less Than 100 Miles, Sold At Cost

This thread makes for a real nice lunch break reading.
I, for one, would like to congratulate the OP on owning such an awesome automobile. I am sure you'll begin to enjoy it - and trust us, the Tesla grin won't wear off any time soon.

OP needs to register the poor girl before he can start enjoying her. Otherwise she's just eye candy.

In effect, getting the tax credit today for his Model X tomorrow, or more likely, getting the tax credit twice.

So that's what, like 25 grand off the price of a new Model X when it comes out? Man, what a deal!

I guess you can't blame the guy for trying -- we all know there's a sucker born every minute. He's just looking for that sucker. But this forum isn't the place to look for one.

But hey -- Good luck with that!

something's not right.. he says he's paid the TAVT, yet his car is not registered... wtf?

You are aware that the car MUST be registered aren't you? This is a cost I will certainly have to pay if I keep the car long enough. Also that the ONLY way anyone can get the $5000 GA tax credit is to pay the over $6000 tax, tag, title fees (you must provide proof that the car is registered in GA before applying for any tax credit). Besides, there's no conspiracy here...as I've said, I'll produce receipts for every expense listed so any buyer knows exactly what I have in it. I think its pretty clear I wasn't trying to deceive anyone...after all, I stated myself that the car was not registered yet, and there's no plates on the car and no registration except the CA temp. I wrote that add the day I got the car back to the house, with the intent of registering the next day. That's the truth. Any buyer will see the receipts for the final payment made to GA in taxes, etc.

However, as I was making a bigger copy of my CA temp registration to put on the back window, I see I have 30 days to register it. I would certainly be better for any seller if I postponed registration for as long a possible...I could list the car without the tax, tags and title price included, at least until I have to pay it about 23 days from now, and my costs would be quite a bit lower too.

As a side note, for those that haven't picked up you car yet, it can be a little problematic driving the car home with that small CA temp registration in the back window. Got pulled over on the way home from the tint/vehicle wrap place. The cop was great...I think he used the lack of a license plate as more of an excuse to look at the car. All he wanted to do was talk about it...got in the front seat, pushing buttons, etc. Even asked if he could take some pictures with it, LOL. It was pretty funny.

- - - Updated - - -

OP,

1) This is how free markets work, specifically so in an open forum. See every newspaper that has a financials section that nitpicks, discusses, speculates, and predicts doom about any entity that dares to do business, privately *or* publicly.
2) More importantly, this is a community. Members look out for each other. If something doesn't look right, it will be brought up. I've only been in this particular forum for a day or two, but I can already sense that the members here look after each other, _voraciously_ so. Hank has every right, as do you, as do I, to comment on the nature of your post. As do the rest of the members who will vote with their pocketbooks and validate the legitimacy of your offer.

Bemental, thank you for the reasoned criticism. I have no problem with that. But I think you know that a couple of the posts from one or two others goes beyond that...more like troll flaming. Even vitriolic in nature. No one here knows what final price we will settle for, what our tax situation is, or how much tax credit we'll get.

But I do plan on postponing the registration until a few days before the CA temp expires. That way I can eliminate the GA tax, tag, title, etc. fees from the price. Thanks for your input. Standby for a price reduction...I'm sure I'll get additional troll comments from that.:smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I must say I'm disappointed that I haven't heard from the OP yet. I guess I should not have gotten my hopes up :-( OK FINE! I'll up my price to $51K Canadian! (That's like $500 American dollars right?)

Ha! Well, with the way the US government is spending and printing money, it may not be long before $51K Canadian is worth $103K US! I'll keep you in mind!