Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing a broken keycard

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have another keycard that is working, and have you tried presenting that one when attempting to delete the broken one? I would think it has to be a way since deleting a keycard would be somewhat important should it get lost/stolen.

It's a bit of a long shot, but maybe you can dissolve the card in Acetone (what have you got to lose?)

All that'll be left is the chip and the antenna and perhaps if the antenna is obviously broken you can fix it and make the card active again

If it's the chip though I guess you're SoL :(

There must be a way though. What about if they have to resell one and they never got the cards back with the vehicle?

I think the problem is this…..For some reason when I looked today I had 2 cards for and the other half and then about 3 cards that said Keycard 1, 2,3.

I deleted card 1 and it said present a card to delete and boom it was gone…. I managed to delete 2 more and then on the 3rd it keeps asking me to present a card and then saying wrong card is presented. I think this is because I’ve used that card to delete a previous key.

I do have 1 more key but it doesn’t work. Doesn’t open the car and doesn’t start the car. Must have gotten zapped somehow. Maybe it wants that key to delete keycard 3?

That said it is odd that I can’t delete a key.

I think the problem is this…..For some reason when I looked today I had 2 cards for and the other half and then about 3 cards that said Keycard 1, 2,3.

I deleted card 1 and it said present a card to delete and boom it was gone…. I managed to delete 2 more and then on the 3rd it keeps asking me to present a card and then saying wrong card is presented. I think this is because I’ve used that card to delete a previous key.

I do have 1 more key but it doesn’t work. Doesn’t open the car and doesn’t start the car. Must have gotten zapped somehow. Maybe it wants that key to delete keycard 3?

That said it is odd that I can’t delete a key.
It sounds to me like you have deleted all of your working keys and it won't let you delete the last one. (You can't delete them all, or you would have no way to add a replacement key/fob/phone/etc.)

Nope. I always have 2 keycards. For some reason it’s added another 3 non-named cards. I can delete 2 of them but not the 3rd. Hmmmm, wonder of I could rename it and delete another instead….

But you said you have already deleted three cards...

I deleted card 1 and it said present a card to delete and boom it was gone…. I managed to delete 2 more

I think the problem is this…..For some reason when I looked today I had 2 cards

Jackson: Hello.

Host: May I just sidetrack for one moment. This -- what shall I call it -- nickname of yours...

Jackson: Ah yes.

Host: "Two Cards". How did you come by it?

Jackson: Well, I don't use it myself, but some of my friends call me "Two Cards".

Host: And do you in fact have two cards?

etc etc