Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Account from Wrecked Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was recently in a crash and totaled by the insurance company. Since the fire department pulled the emergency battery disconnect the car is dead and no longer accessible to me because it was towed to the insurance companies assessment location. I have settled with insurance and want to remove the car from my account but when I go through the process it tells me to do a factory reset on the vehicle first to remove all of my personal info. How have people handled this with wrecked cars where they cannot access the vehicle to do the reset?

I went through this with our totaled car and it ultimately was determined that there was no way to scrub the data in the car without 12V power and physical access. We just removed the car from our account and moved on.

Reactions: theocguy
I was able to speak with someone from Tesla today and it looks like TomT was correct. The best I can do is to remove my car from the account and delete any linked payment methods in the app/webpage. Since the car is not on the network there is nothing they can do. If I want I can also change any passwords for the accounts I had saved on the vehicle like Spotify or Hulu...

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin