Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Adapter + J1772 From Charge Port

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Summary: I can only remove the Adapter+Charge Plug if I first remove the J1772 then the adapter.

Last night I charged our new M3 to 62% with our home EVSE (this one) . I plugged the adapter into the J1772 and plugged it into the car. Charging was complete in the morning.

I couldn't pull out the combined plug plus adapter. In the car, if I selected unlock charge port, I'd hear it unlock then immediately relock.

I eventually got it out by first unplugging the J1772, then unlocking, then removing the adapter. Is it supposed to work that way?

Why did it immediately lock again after unlocking?

Thanks.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Mine seems random, sometimes I go to remove the charger and it comes out with the adapter, other times not - this seems to be related to both the charge port is locked and how exactly I've grabbed the charger release clips.

I've never seen that quick re-lock but since I tend to be going someplace when I'm unplugging the charger, I often first open the driver's door so the car unlocks. Mostly that unlocks the charge port.

Reactions: ZappCatt
Quick Summary: I can only remove the Adapter+Charge Plug if I first remove the J1772 then the adapter.

Last night I charged our new M3 to 62% with our home EVSE (this one) . I plugged the adapter into the J1772 and plugged it into the car. Charging was complete in the morning.

I couldn't pull out the combined plug plus adapter. In the car, if I selected unlock charge port, I'd hear it unlock then immediately relock.

I eventually got it out by first unplugging the J1772, then unlocking, then removing the adapter. Is it supposed to work that way?

Thanks.

Thanks for starting this post. I use a Juicebox 40, so I also have the j1772 adapter in use.
1) The first time I unplugged, they both came out at once. Yay
2) The second time, I unplugged the J1772 and forgot I had a tesla, so had to manually pull the adapter our.
3) The third time, I unplugged the J1772 and the adapter would not come out. I had to use the app to "unlock the charge port" and it tried to close the door, make the clicking sound as it was blocked, then I was able to pull out the adapter.

I definitely need to figure out a method to have it work the first time every time. Opening a door in order to do that will get old quick.

The key is to pull the plug and adapter out together. There's two main ways to do it. The first is to use two hands. Hold both the J1772 and the adapter, press the button on the plug, then pull them out together. It's also possible to do it with one hand by pressing the button, releasing it, reengaging the latch, then pulling them out together.

Yes^^^ except with a Juicebox there isn't a button to hit on the handle. You just unlock the port via your phone or the car.
Unlock the port and take them both out at the same time. Then disconnect the adapter from the wall unit handle and put it in the car. I've had mine for 3 months and never had an issue.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks for starting this post. I use a Juicebox 40, so I also have the j1772 adapter in use.
1) The first time I unplugged, they both came out at once. Yay
2) The second time, I unplugged the J1772 and forgot I had a tesla, so had to manually pull the adapter our.
3) The third time, I unplugged the J1772 and the adapter would not come out. I had to use the app to "unlock the charge port" and it tried to close the door, make the clicking sound as it was blocked, then I was able to pull out the adapter.

I definitely need to figure out a method to have it work the first time every time. Opening a door in order to do that will get old quick.
The car has to be awake to unlock the port, which is why you're having to open a door. You can press the rear door latch near the charge port lightly to wake the car without actually opening the door.

It seems like it shouldn't be such a difficult thing to figure out. If the cable is being removed, shouldn't the car release the adapter?

One would think, but the car won't unlock it's port without being awake, and the J1772 uses a manual latch and can be pulled out at any time, so if the car's asleep, the J1772 plug will come out, but the adapter won't. I think that when the car's asleep, the entire charger is powered off which means no way for the car to detect you've pressed the button. Much the same thing happens with a Tesla plug...pressing the button when the car's asleep does nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: house9 and ZappCatt
Yes^^^ except with a Juicebox there isn't a button to hit on the handle. You just unlock the port via your phone or the car.
Unlock the port and take them both out at the same time. Then disconnect the adapter from the wall unit handle and put it in the car. I've had mine for 3 months and never had an issue.
Huh? Of course there's a latch button on the J1772 plug on a Juicebox. That's what that big black thing on top of the handle is. Otherwise, how would you pull off the adapter?

JuiceBox-Pro-40-2-2.png

• Informative
It seems like it shouldn't be such a difficult thing to figure out. If the cable is being removed, shouldn't the car release the adapter?

No, that is a $50 to $100 adapter and you would not want someone to grab it. The key is to wake the car up. Some people will open the back door, press the port unlock on their phone or hit the adapter release on the cord. If the car is awake you can press the adapter release and it will unlock the adapter from the port. You can then pull both out at the same time and remove the adapter.

One would think, but the car won't unlock it's port without being awake, and the J1772 uses a manual latch and can be pulled out at any time, so if the car's asleep, the J1772 plug will come out, but the adapter won't. I think that when the car's asleep, the entire charger is powered off which means no way for the car to detect you've pressed the button. Much the same thing happens with a Tesla plug...pressing the button when the car's asleep does nothing.

So how is it I can disconnect a Tesla connector, either a destination charger or a Supercharger? Perhaps it's because the car is never asleep when I walk up to it? My car detects the key fob. What are you guys doing that's different?

Huh? Of course there's a latch button on the J1772 plug on a Juicebox. That's what that big black thing on top of the handle is. Otherwise, how would you pull off the adapter?

JuiceBox-Pro-40-2-2.png

This was a terminology difference. I don't speak fluent Tesla. Obviously there's a latch on my Juicebox to disconnect from the adapter. I don't call that a button like what a Tesla charging station has. Those buttons light up and are electrical. To me the black plastic latch isn't a button lol.
That's why I said "Then disconnect the adapter from the wall unit handle and put it in the car."

Thanks.

This method works 100% of the time... within the app either select stop charging or unlock doors... then press button on the charger while grasping the plug adapter in the socket... pull away together.

So how is it I can disconnect a Tesla connector, either a destination charger or a Supercharger? Perhaps it's because the car is never asleep when I walk up to it? My car detects the key fob. What are you guys doing that's different?
If the car is actively charging or if sentry mode is on, then the car stays awake. Many of us don't have sentry mode on at home so the car goes to sleep after it's finished charging.

Is the car technically awake when charging at home? At a SC it seems very awake(I would too if I had that much power being slammed into me). At home it honks, mirrors fold, and everything seems to shut down when I walk away from the car while it's charging.
Maybe I don't understand the exact definition of how it sleeps.

Is the car technically awake when charging at home? At a SC it seems very awake(I would too if I had that much power being slammed into me). At home it honks, mirrors fold, and everything seems to shut down when I walk away from the car while it's charging.
Maybe I don't understand the exact definition of how it sleeps.
What you're describing is just the car locking itself. Sleep happens after the car has been idle for some period of time. It quietly shuts down a number of systems to reduce vampire drain. In that mode, it ignores anything that happens with the charge port; pressing the charge port door won't open it, pressing the button on the handle won't unlock it, and an external timer on the EVSE won't initiate charging.

Sentry mode will keep the car awake, as does actual charging. It will wake if you open the phone app, open a door, or if the car's charge timer reaches a start point.

No need to unlock the charge port with J1772. Just press the button on the J1772 and the charge will be interrupted. The light will turn from Green/off to blue, and you can remove both the J1772 and the adapter. I removed them together for storage, but sometime the J1772 comes free and that is fine.

The Tesla cord had the button for opening the charge door, the J1772 has the button for dis-engaging.

The key is to pull the plug and adapter out together. There's two main ways to do it. The first is to use two hands. Hold both the J1772 and the adapter, press the button on the plug, then pull them out together. It's also possible to do it with one hand by pressing the button, releasing it, reengaging the latch, then pulling them out together.
What do you mean by "reengaging the latch"?

by pressing the button, releasing it, reengaging the latch, then pulling them out together.
What do you mean by "reengaging the latch"?
All J1772 charging plug handles have a physical hook/latch thing on top of them, with a thumb operated release button. That hook thing snaps onto the Tesla adapter. He just meant when you release the button, that latch will come back down, grabbing hold of the adapter again.

Reactions: davewill and HeyEph
All J1772 charging plug handles have a physical hook/latch thing on top of them, with a thumb operated release button. That hook thing snaps onto the Tesla adapter. He just meant when you release the button, that latch will come back down, grabbing hold of the adapter again.
Exactly. Generally, the hook doesn't engage on it's own, and you have to push in on it until it clicks in, then pull both the plug and the adapter out. It becomes second nature after you do it a few times, although if you don't do it quickly enough, the port will lock back down on the adapter before you are able to pull it out.

Reactions: HeyEph and Rocky_H