Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing charge cable during power outage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't recall ever seeing a mention (maybe I was not paying attention!) - since you have to click the button on the UMC to unlock the port and remove the cable - what happens if the power is out to the house? Is there a way to remove the cable via the car? Or are you stuck until the power comes back on?

The mechanical lock that holds the charge connector is a part of the charge port in the car. Pressing the button on the cable sends a wireless signal to the car to unlock it. As pointed out upthread the app and the charging display are other ways to do this.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Also, the unlock function via the UMC (or J1772 connector) button is entirely passive - powered by the car. It's just a mechanical switch and two resistors connected to the pin on the connector.

The separate function to open the chargeport does use radio transmission and does therefore require the UMC to be powered - but if there's no power, then there's limited point in plugging it in anyhow.

Also, the unlock function via the UMC (or J1772 connector) button is entirely passive - powered by the car. It's just a mechanical switch and two resistors connected to the pin on the connector.

The separate function to open the chargeport does use radio transmission and does therefore require the UMC to be powered - but if there's no power, then there's limited point in plugging it in anyhow.

Ostensibly, you might get lucky, and it might start charging when the power comes back on. :D

And a last resort solution if the normal ones haven't worked for some reason. I know on the Model 3 there is also a manual release accessible through the trunk. Not sure about the Models S/X.