Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing cover below glovebox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Technically this is probably a more general question, but since RHD and LHD cars differ I'm posting it in the UK forum...

I went to fit my Abstract Ocean rear ambient lights and got stuck right at the start when trying to pull off the cover below the glovebox. I removed the three push pins, but then got stuck and didn't want to really pull on it for fear of damaging something. I feel like less of a man to be honest.

Checked the service manual and it says this:

Screenshot 2022-06-02 at 18.43.30.png

I'm stuck on step 2. So how do I access those 10 "clips" ? Is it a case of prying that part of the cover off with a spudger?

Also - anyone else fitted these to a Model 3? Any gotchas I need to be aware of? It looks pretty cramped under the seat.

Thanks in advance.

(and don't laugh please)

The ten 'clips' appear to be part of the panel rather than clips you would separate from the panel as the first 3 are.

Just stuck my head in the passengers footwell and there's about 5mm of space at the rear of that panel in the direction of the bonnet. Suspect with the 3 clips removed a gentle wiggle of the panel pushing it in the direction of the bonnet will release it from the underside of the dash.

They could be a bit fiddly to realign once you're ready to put the panel back in place.

Reactions: Durzel
Bumping this as I’m planning to fit my rear ambient lights at the end of the month, so want to be prepared.

When I tried to take the passenger side cover below the glovebox, I couldn’t figure out how to get it off after taking out the 3 push pins. There’s no obvious way of removing it and I don’t want to pull it in the wrong place.

All of the videos I’ve found online for this sort of install are all for LHD cars, where the covers are different.

Thanks in advance for any help provided :)

Might be worth asking on the Australian section as there are a few posts about abstract ocean accessories including lights. Sorry don't know enough about what you're installing to see if those specific lights have been mentioned.

Bumping this as I’m planning to fit my rear ambient lights at the end of the month, so want to be prepared.

When I tried to take the passenger side cover below the glovebox, I couldn’t figure out how to get it off after taking out the 3 push pins. There’s no obvious way of removing it and I don’t want to pull it in the wrong place.

All of the videos I’ve found online for this sort of install are all for LHD cars, where the covers are different.

Thanks in advance for any help provided :)

I assume you watched all the videos on AO's site about it? I did mine over a year ago so I honestly can't remember but I can promise you it wasn't that complicated, not at all and the only guidance I had were AO's own videos.

It still looks the same in those pics though, just mirrored, of course. My general advice when removing trim is 'don't be shy about it'; the guys that take cars apart for service certainly aren't, so normally these panels are designed to be removed fairly ungracefully. But yes, once you've removed the 3 push pins (also check for one or two black screws, a couple of cars I've worked on had those, instead of the pins for some reason), the remaining 10 clips are just to hold the panel in place, so a trim tool/spudger will get those released.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
It still looks the same in those pics though, just mirrored, of course. My general advice when removing trim is 'don't be shy about it'; the guys that take cars apart for service certainly aren't, so normally these panels are designed to be removed fairly ungracefully. But yes, once you've removed the 3 push pins (also check for one or two black screws, a couple of cars I've worked on had those, instead of the pins for some reason), the remaining 10 clips are just to hold the panel in place, so a trim tool/spudger will get those released.
Technically this is probably a more general question, but since RHD and LHD cars differ I'm posting it in the UK forum...

I went to fit my Abstract Ocean rear ambient lights and got stuck right at the start when trying to pull off the cover below the glovebox. I removed the three push pins, but then got stuck and didn't want to really pull on it for fear of damaging something. I feel like less of a man to be honest.

View attachment 811837

I'm stuck on step 2. So how do I access those 10 "clips" ? Is it a case of prying that part of the cover off with a spudger?

Also - anyone else fitted these to a Model 3? Any gotchas I need to be aware of? It looks pretty cramped under the seat.

Thanks in advance.

(and don't laugh please)
Hi @Durzel
Did you managed to get the

View attachment 811837

Thanks in advance.

(and don't laugh please)
Hi @Durzel
Did you find the way to remove the cover below glovebox? I’m having the same issue and please help 🙏