Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody ever removed the dash. I have a project coming up soon and wanted some advise. I know how to remove all the interior trim (leather and plastic). I just don't know how to remove the dash. I can get to this state, just need help past this. Btw, this is not my car.
Tesla-Model-S-Interior-Dashboard-Removal-2.jpg

Last edited:
For the most part I believe it's just plastic snap ins and can be done with a plastic pry tool. I haven't done it personally, but I saw a tech get to the point in that photo in no time.

Edit: Correction, the photo above has the glove box assembly removed too, which I think is 3-4 screws.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
For the most part I believe it's just plastic snap ins and can be done with a plastic pry tool. I haven't done it personally, but I saw a tech get to the point in that photo in no time.

Edit: Correction, the photo above has the glove box assembly removed too, which I think is 3-4 screws.

I assumed it was snapped in as well. The dash moves a bit if pulled upward at all. Unless someone posts pictures I'll just have to figure it out as I go I guess. :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

Darren, you are a braver man than me. :) I am amazed that you figured out how to take the entire dash apart.

What is the project that you are working on?

I had a red P85 loaner last week with tan interior and now I'm in love with the tan. :love: Why did the service center have to give me a car with completely opposite options? I've been mulling the idea of having my interior reupholstered tan. I also plan on doing a few interior mods while the pieces are being reupholstered. I want to add some ambient lighting and add the NVX BOOST sub and amp.

- - - Updated - - -

holographic HUD probably :tongue:

or shag carpet maybe?

Holographic HUD, I wish! The Shaggin Wagon!

Last edited:
Have you figured out what you are going to do with the ambient lighting? Does your S have the premium interior package?

i just installed the NVX kit last month, pretty straight forward!

No premium interior package. I've had a rough idea of what I wanted to do for ambient lighting for awhile just haven't had the time to do it. I want to add more footwell lighting along with some light for the yacht floor. I may add some lighting under the front seats facing towards the rear. Once all the trim is off I'll have more space to work which will make it a bit easier for me.

- - - Updated - - -

i just installed the NVX kit last month, pretty straight forward!

Did the NVX kit come with detailed installation instructions? They say they only recommend professional installation but it can't be that difficult. Yeah, time consuming and tedious. But difficult, I would think not.

To remove the dash pad, under the binnacle you will see a D shaped piece of plastic. Clip that out downwards. There is a screw holding the dash pad to a bracket under there. Then unclip the dash pad upwards with a sharp upward blow using the heel of your hand. You may need to un clip the trim from the A pillars to remove the dash pad completely. I am surprised that the upper trim around the vents was removable without lifting at least the front of the dash pad, since the top of the vents are screwed into place and those screws are hidden by the dash pad. The vents are screwed to the trim. The bezel around the instrument cluster is held by 4 screws and the vinyl infill between the dash and steering column clips out. The trim pieces either side of the instrument cluster are held by screws top and bottom as well as clips. All screws are Torx.
The FIRST step is the binnacle screw though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Just a note... I've had mine removed by a ranger before and that little strip of aluminum (I guess that's what it is) along the front of the dash bends very easily. Take extra caution when removing/installing the dash so as not to bend this aluminum too much because it will cease. It's such a long piece that it can be a bit hard to manage and if not careful the whole thing will bow and cause the creases. It happened to mine and I'm still waiting for the replacement. It seems to be weakest at the bends right above the 17" screen; that's where I have 2 creases.

Regards, Ben

Just a note... I've had mine removed by a ranger before and that little strip of aluminum (I guess that's what it is) along the front of the dash bends very easily. Take extra caution when removing/installing the dash so as not to bend this aluminum too much because it will cease. It's such a long piece that it can be a bit hard to manage and if not careful the whole thing will bow and cause the creases. It happened to mine and I'm still waiting for the replacement. It seems to be weakest at the bends right above the 17" screen; that's where I have 2 creases.

Regards, Ben

2nd that! My dash pad has been replaced twice due to creases in that aluminum trim piece (occurs too easily when dash has to be removed and replaced, even by seasoned professionals). Usual crease points are at the upper corners of the main display. Unfortunately, if it does happen it is painfully obvious.

Reactions: Trebek1762
Hi,

Im just trying to get the black panels off so I can apply CF over them, How did you get them off without messing with the dashboard? any help would be great!
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get off the dash panels without taking off the dash? Id like to take the panels off to cover them in CB wrap. Help??
Thanks

Hi,

Im just trying to get the black panels off so I can apply CF over them, How did you get them off without messing with the dashboard? any help would be great!
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

How did you get off the dash panels without taking off the dash? Id like to take the panels off to cover them in CB wrap. Help??
Thanks
If you are talking about the decor panels ( those bits that are either piano black or carbon fibre or timber grain), then, I can help you since I have swapped those trim pieces out. If you PM me, I will send detailed instructions, but the start of the process I have detailed above. You do need a Torx screwdriver and preferably some trim pulling tools, pretty cheap on eBay or maybe Amazon.

Same here. Mine doesn't rattle as much as squeaks a bit off and on depending on how rough the road is. If I push down on my dash pad, the squeaking stops.

My S85D had a rattle in the dash and like all noises they are hard to find. It took 5 trips to the SC and the same number of times driving on a road that would consistently make the noise. My rattle was caused by the right defroster vent being too close to the firewall. On the 5th trip to the SC, the technician removed the dash to put some sound deadening material between the firewall and the defroster vent.

• Informative