Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Drivers from Lease Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In February I returned a lease car to the lease company (LeasePlan) and was surprised when the car was still showing up in my Tesla app although it was not connected. A few weeks later, once the car had a new owner and/or driver the car became live again in my app and was sharing details as to location and state of charge etc. Obviously a potential security issue for the new owner/driver!!

As Tesla told me that the lease company needed to remove me as a driver, I reported this to the lease company but as yet have not heard back. I went back to Tesla and once I highlighted the security issue, they resolved the issue.

The moral of this is that if you have a Tesla bought or previously leased from a lease company, make sure that the lease company has removed all the previous driver details. Otherwise you may inadvertently be sharing details with the previous driver(s).

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Just phone them up, tell them it's a significant breach of GDPR and that you'll be reporting it to the Information Commissioners Office by the end of the week.

If you want to go harder than that, Petra Van Der Beek is LeasePlan's Data Protection Officer according to LinkedIn. They have a duty to resolve all breaches in a timeline manner and to self report if required.

She's based in their NL headquarters. I'm sure the switch operator would be able to put you through. I'd also guess [email protected] would work.

Just phone them up, tell them it's a significant breach of GDPR and that you'll be reporting it to the Information Commissioners Office by the end of the week.

If you want to go harder than that, Petra Van Der Beek is LeasePlan's Data Protection Officer according to LinkedIn. They have a duty to resolve all breaches in a timeline manner and to self report if required.

She's based in their NL headquarters. I'm sure the switch operator would be able to put you through. I'd also guess [email protected] would work.
Thanks. I did call LeasePlan but gave up after being on hold for 30 mins so sent an email to customer services to which no reply. Tesla resolved it when they realised it was a reputation issue for them as much as the lease company. May try a complaint to Petra though!

In February I returned a lease car to the lease company (LeasePlan) and was surprised when the car was still showing up in my Tesla app although it was not connected. A few weeks later, once the car had a new owner and/or driver the car became live again in my app and was sharing details as to location and state of charge etc. Obviously a potential security issue for the new owner/driver!!

As Tesla told me that the lease company needed to remove me as a driver, I reported this to the lease company but as yet have not heard back. I went back to Tesla and once I highlighted the security issue, they resolved the issue.

The moral of this is that if you have a Tesla bought or previously leased from a lease company, make sure that the lease company has removed all the previous driver details. Otherwise you may inadvertently be sharing details with the previous driver(s).
Update - following another reader’s suggestion I contacted the MD of LeasePlan in the UK via LinkedIn. Within a day a member of his team rang me to get more details and promised to do a full investigation. They obviously have understood the severity of the security issue.