Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing former partner ‘owner’ from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched high and low, in my tesla app and on the website to try and find out how to remove my former partner who's name was affiliated with the car when we bought it from Tesla. Ownership has been 'transferred' to me via DMV, or is almost done. We are in a weird situation as I have had full access to the car and its app since the day we got it. I cant 'transfer 3rd party' or reach anyone to help transfer (change email log in from theirs to mine). I have 100% access under their email. Can someone help?

Ownership transfer cant be "almost" done at DMV. It needs to be completely done. Once that is done, submit it to tesla as if you were buying the car (search for information for title transfer process when buying the car from someone).
My apologies for the semantic error. We are doing the transfer with DMV via email exchanges and it’s taking a little more time with my partners understand if the process.

Regardless, the issue is - only on paper did I not purchase car from Tesla and from third party. I want to ensure I get any and all benefits as original owner. I already have full access to app and don’t want to start over with everything. There doesn’t seem to be a ‘transfer to family’ or within same household option. I would like to removed their email as primary and replace it with mine.

Does that make more sense ?

My apologies for the semantic error. We are doing the transfer with DMV via email exchanges and it’s taking a little more time with my partners understand if the process.

Regardless, the issue is - only on paper did I not purchase car from Tesla and from third party. I want to ensure I get any and all benefits as original owner. I already have full access to app and don’t want to start over with everything. There doesn’t seem to be a ‘transfer to family’ or within same household option. I would like to removed their email as primary and replace it with mine.

Does that make more sense ?

No, because "only on paper" is the only thing that actually matters. Said another way, if you and your partner bought a car, and your name was not on the title but you handed them a paper bag of cash to pay for half the car, then they went and bought it, there is nothing "paper" that says you own any of the vehicle.

You will not be able to replace your name with theirs until "all the paper" is straightened out, then you will need to contact tesla to transfer title, providing any paperwork that tesla requires for title transfer.

You will need to follow whatever process (and submit whatever documents) tesla requires to transfer title in your name. This type of thing does not change even if its family. I just gave my daughter title to her car that I finished paying for, for her, and we had to sign the title, process that through DMV, etc (not a tesla).

This is no different than if you were buying it from them, as far as title and app ownership through tesla is concerned. Title is title. Follow the title transfer process to claim ownership of the car and submit whatever they ask to prove the title is yours, then they will replace the name for you.

Thank you for the additional explanation. DMV paper work is the easy part. I am just highly skeptical that all the software perks we had when we got the car will somehow disappear …

Fingers crossed that it’s as simple as stated.

Thanks everyone.

I am not sure what you mean by "software perks" but if you are talking about things like "free unlimited supercharging" or "free premium connectivity" those might disappear, yes, depending on what model year car you have.

You will likely need to make a choice in being an "additional driver" in the tesla system and having their name still on it, or transferring title and taking whatever goes along with that. People do transfer their tesla accounts to other people, but thats before the car is delivered (an order), not a car with title.

Reactions: ASLSpud