TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Removing Front License Plate Bracket, what kind of screw is this?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by cookie99, Dec 1, 2019.

1. cookie99

cookie99 Member

#1 cookie99, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Sorry if its a dumb question, but what kind of screw is this thats holding the license plate braket in the front? This one is located underneath. No idea how to remove this

[​IMG]

EDIT: After searching it seems that this is a proprietary screw, and the easiest way to remove it is to just use a 90degree plyer and slowly unscrew it.

2. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

THe
    These guys make a custom bit that will fit it, not sure it'd be worth the cost unless you were removing and putting back on frequently or you owned a detailing shop and needed to take them off clients cars.

TSE10TP5

3. serendipitous

serendipitous Member

In addition to the proprietary head, it's also at an awkward angle and location. I just used a cheap 90 degree needle nose plier I grabbed at Harbor Freight. Only took ~1.5 turns before it was finger loose (although I did it 15 minutes after buying my car, so maybe I got lucky).

Get your heat gun ready to heat up the adhesive underneath the black bracket brace that's underneath the painted cover. It's got a thick bead all around the entire perimeter and is sticky as hell.

4. Vic_F

Vic_F Member

Ditto on the pliers

5. RV8R

RV8R Member

The SC let me use their special driver to remove them. They would/could not do it themselves.

6. evfeh

evfeh Member

E47E4B5F-364A-428F-954E-8D5FBE6EA68C.jpeg I was able to remove mine with those right angled pliers. Pretty easy.

7. sq1stne

sq1stne New Member

No need for the plier, I was able to use a small socket and drive. Might have been a 10mm.

8. IROAR

IROAR Member

90 degree needle nose and heat gun to loosen the adhesive and thus prevent damage