Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I removed FSD on Tesla website before taking delivery last week and it all went well.
Sorry for the stupid question but if I order a new tesla and add FSD do I have 48 hour for a refund? Also how will it work getting the 12K back after I have my bank write the check to Tesla on delivery day? Would they refund the bank or just add 12k to my card on file? My wife has a 2022 Model Y performance and I did add the FSD for the month so I know I can do that. Any info work be greatly appreciated

Sorry for the stupid question but if I order a new tesla and add FSD do I have 48 hour for a refund? Also how will it work getting the 12K back after I have my bank write the check to Tesla on delivery day? Would they refund the bank or just add 12k to my card on file? My wife has a 2022 Model Y performance and I did add the FSD for the month so I know I can do that. Any info work be greatly appreciated
Will a bank give you a car loan for software ?

II removed FSD on Tesla website before taking delivery last week and it all went well.
Yep, delivery was great, no issues. My window sticker/config sheet does have FSD listed though which is interesting.
Just curious, Tezla, did your sticker config sheet also keep the FSD? I'm trying to avoid some personal property tax that we have to pay here in Virginia. I still want the FSD, but I want to purchase after delivery for tax reasons

Not completely sure about this question. Do you mean after receiving car? If so, I don’t know if they have a refund policy. If you are referring to adding FSD before taking car delivery, you can simply remove it (if that option is still available) and it will be deducted from the total payment due at delivery.

@Tezla. did you finance your Tesla or paid all cash? I am financing and trying to figure out the best time to remove it, given that I do need to send the MVPA to the bank soon as well.
Cash. I suppose you can remove after you are sure it is on its way. You should be able to find others who have gone through this route in October order thread.

Very curious to see if anyone has attempted to remove FSD after receiving their delivery date. I’m currently scheduled to pickup my M3LR w FSD on Friday and I want the FSD but would rather not have it included in the sticker price but as an add on. That 12k that’s included in the sale not only raises my initial DMV fees but also the annual renewal rates. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. To answer the question on whether or not you have the ability to remove FSD after you receive your VIN you absolutely do. I’m 4 days out and could remove it right now. It’s honestly silly yo include the FSD in the total price unless you are trying to finance the 12k and honestly that may be a silly upgrade to finance as well. This should absolutely be an option to pay for separately who wouldn’t want CC points back.

Reactions: HeatherW22
Has anyone had an issue with USAA auto insurance and picking up your Tesla? USAA auto renews every 6 months and it just so happens my pickup date falls in a time where it looks like my policy expires before the required 60days says you have to have for delivery.

Very curious to see if anyone has attempted to remove FSD after receiving their delivery date. I’m currently scheduled to pickup my M3LR w FSD on Friday and I want the FSD but would rather not have it included in the sticker price but as an add on. That 12k that’s included in the sale not only raises my initial DMV fees but also the annual renewal rates. It’s the gift that keeps on giving. To answer the question on whether or not you have the ability to remove FSD after you receive your VIN you absolutely do. I’m 4 days out and could remove it right now. It’s honestly silly yo include the FSD in the total price unless you are trying to finance the 12k and honestly that may be a silly upgrade to finance as well. This should absolutely be an option to pay for separately who wouldn’t want CC points back.
I removed my fsd after vin received but before pick up. No issues what so ever! Added it back after I had it at home . Super easy. I did have to pay tax on that fsd just fyi. But at least it wont be added to my annual personal property tax every year!

Has anyone had an issue with USAA auto insurance and picking up your Tesla? USAA auto renews every 6 months and it just so happens my pickup date falls in a time where it looks like my policy expires before the required 60days says you have to have for delivery.
I have USAA insurance and no issues at all with the insurance! I even asked them About the fsd and adding it later etc just to make sure it was all covered and they said that everything would be covered… including fsd if you have it. Oh and the proof of insurance that you need for Tesla is just your current insurance. I took a pic of my insurance for my current car when I checked that box off. Called USAA and told them when I planned on picking up my car and they set me up to be active on that day

@Tezla. did you finance your Tesla or paid all cash? I am financing and trying to figure out the best time to remove it, given that I do need to send the MVPA to the bank soon as well.
I had originally set up my account as all cash, then when I received my vin I switched it to finance, then dropped my fsd. Told them how much I planned on financing (the rest was a down payment). I paid the down payment through plaid at the dealer after inspection. When I got home added the fsd with a credit card. All very easy .

Reactions: Mitchellstarc
I removed my fsd after vin received but before pick up. No issues what so ever! Added it back after I had it at home . Super easy. I did have to pay tax on that fsd just fyi. But at least it wont be added to my annual personal property tax every year!
Just an fyi, I understand that you have to fight harder to get the costs of FSD back from your insurer if your car is totaled and you didn't buy FSD with the car. YMMV of course.

Just an fyi, I understand that you have to fight harder to get the costs of FSD back from your insurer if your car is totaled and you didn't buy FSD with the car. YMMV of course.
Ok...my example is France, similar but maybe different, I bought FSD after I already owned the car, I informed the insurance company and their reply is that in the event of a claim...it will be up to the independent assessor.
Unfortunately, my experience with them is not good...

Reactions: HeatherW22
I had originally set up my account as all cash, then when I received my vin I switched it to finance, then dropped my fsd. Told them how much I planned on financing (the rest was a down payment). I paid the down payment through plaid at the dealer after inspection. When I got home added the fsd with a credit card. All very easy .
Was the Plaid payment option available through the Tesla finance or ??