Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD before taking delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paying more money for a feature on a depreciating, mass production car has *never* been an investment.
I understand where your coming from. Investments do not just produce monetary benefits though. FSD is more than just a feature. Its software that continues to expand upon its features and capabilities and as it does so will increase in value.

We feel like it is a good decision that will add to the resale of the vehicle and provide us additional features during ownership. I see benefit from having use of the features and access to new features as well.

Some folks may not see the benefit of FSD and that's fine too. To each their own.

Paying more money for a feature on a depreciating, mass production car has *never* been an investment.
What about paying more for a certain color or paying more for the LR vs SR version. Those are all upcharges that add value to the vehicle. What I'm trying to say is we don't need anymore couch financial advisors. If @240vPlug thinks it's an investment that they want to make, let them. Your comment is overly broad and not accurate as investment has a lot of different meanings and doesn't always need to be taken to the literal financial iteration.

Reactions: fiehlsport
What about paying more for a certain color or paying more for the LR vs SR version. Those are all upcharges that add value to the vehicle. What I'm trying to say is we don't need anymore couch financial advisors. If @240vPlug thinks it's an investment that they want to make, let them. Your comment is overly broad and not accurate as investment has a lot of different meanings and doesn't always need to be taken to the literal financial iteration.

Emotions are value to people (to people who appreciate and value it). I think for me...one way to think about this is.... buy FSD for $10K or $12K and put an additional amount of $10K or $12K buying Tesla stock. It's not a sure thing, but I think your $10K or $12K in Tesla stock will likely pay off. If it doens't, you can use it as a tax deduction. This makes me feel better knowing the investment will offset the current cost of it. In the end, is $10K or $12K really a lot? Depends on the person.

Has anyone actually confirmed that removing FSD after getting a VIN causes you to lose your VIN and get bumped to the end of the line? I know that many people are interpreting it that way, but it really just says that it will delay delivery. That could simply mean your order won’t be prioritized anymore, and doesn’t necessary mean that you’ll lose your VIN.

Not that it affects me in either case, but I’m curious to see if it does cause your VIN to be unassigned.

Has anyone actually confirmed that removing FSD after getting a VIN causes you to lose your VIN and get bumped to the end of the line? I know that many people are interpreting it that way, but it really just says that it will delay delivery. That could simply mean your order won’t be prioritized anymore, and doesn’t necessary mean that you’ll lose your VIN.

Not that it affects me in either case, but I’m curious to see if it does cause your VIN to be unassigned.
Almost month later and hoping to see if anyone has done that recently.....

I just removed it after delivery scheduled when it still said "it would delay delivery". It didn't. I did text before though to ask. Based on this and recent news, I'd guess the website is just out of date and it doesn't impact your delivery at any stage of the process.

Reactions: HeatherW22
I just removed it after delivery scheduled when it still said "it would delay delivery". It didn't. I did text before though to ask. Based on this and recent news, I'd guess the website is just out of date and it doesn't impact your delivery at any stage of the process.
It’s more designed to scare you from removing it. And, if they actually do push you, they did warn you

For what it's worth, I removed FSD last night after setting a delivery appointment. Nothing changed, kept my vin and delivery date. MVPA updated in ~5 minutes.

I kind of guessed that it wouldn't have any effect because I saw other MYPs being delivered without it ordered around the same time, but who knows. Pushing that button sure was scary 😅
That's pretty gutsy. I kept it. Picking up Wednesday. And it appears to have actually expedited delivery as two other people in my area, with order dates around the same time as me, and who had been looking at a "June" delivery for months, did not get theirs and may be pushed to end of next quarter. The FSD appears to be the reason I'm getting mine.

That's pretty gutsy. I kept it. Picking up Wednesday. And it appears to have actually expedited delivery as two other people in my area, with order dates around the same time as me, and who had been looking at a "June" delivery for months, did not get theirs and may be pushed to end of next quarter. The FSD appears to be the reason I'm getting mine.
Hardly surprising .. FSD it all profit so Tesla will prioritize the higher-end builds, given the supply constraints everywhere atm

For what it's worth, I removed FSD last night after setting a delivery appointment. Nothing changed, kept my vin and delivery date. MVPA updated in ~5 minutes.

I kind of guessed that it wouldn't have any effect because I saw other MYPs being delivered without it ordered around the same time, but who knows. Pushing that button sure was scary 😅
Could you please let me know how did you remove FSD?

A lot of people here would still be miserable after eating a Happy Meal...rarely rarely is an option package on a new car worth the money...but we still tick the boxes...Tesla, to give them credit, is one of the very few manufacturers that have a basic model so full of tech that you don’t need an upgrade.. to me FSD is the same cost of any option package in any mid to high end new car...and like any option package it will have some features you want and some you don’t....but only Tesla give you that glimpse into the future and chance it will get better

People have been saying that for years. It’s called FOMO.
It isn't FOMO at least not in my case. I fully understand what it is and where it is going. I don't fear missing out on it but rather I want the features and don't want to pay more later on. I plan to also participate in the FSD beta.

Just because you may not feel the value is there doesn't mean that everyone who buys in is doing so due to FOMO.

It isn't FOMO at least not in my case. I fully understand what it is and where it is going. I don't fear missing out on it but rather I want the features and don't want to pay more later on. I plan to also participate in the FSD beta.

Just because you may not feel the value is there doesn't mean that everyone who buys in is doing so due to FOMO.
It's a toy to play around with. If I had it in the budget, you bet I'd be getting FSD too. I can't justify it right now, but if you can, more power to ya!

Reactions: 240vPlug and slosh

Hey, I was wondering if the delivery went alright.

I am in the same boat somewhat. Ordered with FSR, might want to remove it, but don't want to jeopardize the delivery date.