Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing FSD Pre-Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering removing FSD for a LR MY I ordered about 2 weeks ago. If I click the button to remove FSD, will my LR still be priced at the 48,990 that I got when I put in my order? The only thing I have to agree on via the click says: "Yes, remove Full Self-Driving ($10,000) and keep Autopilot. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle."

Nowhere does it say the price will adjusted. I've heard mixed messaging on this and I reached out to my SA but no reply...

I imagine it'd be fine.
Out of curiosity, why do you want to remove FSD?
Do you think Elon's "Download Button" isn't going to become a thing?
Multiple reasons but mostly it is hard for me to justify the 10k considering:

1. My annual mileage is below average so I just won't use it as much as many others
2. I've heard mixed messages regarding it from my friend who own Tesla's.
3. I would ideally want to try 1-2 months of a subscription before paying for it
4. Unclear how long I'd need to own the car to make worthwhile. Planning for at least 5 years, but still.

If you make any changes your configuration will adjust to the current pricing. The sales agreement is re-written when you make any changes.

Maybe call your SA and see if they can do it on the back-end?

For me I would never include FSD with the purchase only because it affects car registration fees (at least here in CA). I would add it after sale to avoid that.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it looks like it's allowing you to extract and remove just the FSD? It looks like that may not be the same a reconfiguration then.

Edit: Re-reading your post, it looks like it's allowing you to extract and remove just the FSD? It looks like that may not be the same a reconfiguration then.

This is where I'm confused. It is literally a button on the page and when I click it, it asks me to uncheck the box related to FSD and to check a box and acknowledge this specific statement: "Yes, remove Full Self-Driving ($10,000) and keep Autopilot. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle."

I'm asking my SA for details, but I would be very unhappy if I proceed with the above click and instead of it simply being the removal of FSD at 10k, it reprices the whole car which would be a net reduction of 9,000 based on current pricing. If she confirms I can add later, 90% chance I will do that. If she tells me it will cost me $1k to remove I'm not sure what I'll do. I did get a VIN today...

Reactions: swheat6345
This is where I'm confused. It is literally a button on the page and when I click it, it asks me to uncheck the box related to FSD and to check a box and acknowledge this specific statement: "Yes, remove Full Self-Driving ($10,000) and keep Autopilot. I acknowledge I will not be able to make any further changes to my vehicle."

I'm asking my SA for details, but I would be very unhappy if I proceed with the above click and instead of it simply being the removal of FSD at 10k, it reprices the whole car which would be a net reduction of 9,000 based on current pricing. If she confirms I can add later, 90% chance I will do that. If she tells me it will cost me $1k to remove I'm not sure what I'll do. I did get a VIN today...
At least you have a VIN...hurray.

Yes, I removed it and they said that I have to accept new price and that nothing they can do it about it. Now my contract has a new date.

My SA was able to remove it, I kept my price ($2500 less than current) and my delivery date was not affected at all. Took delivery March 29

Two completely different practices for the exact same scenario.

As much as there’s a stigma on other brands’ “stealerships,” the inconsistencies between SAs are rampant.

I’ve purchased four new Teslas from three different locations In two states; my best advice is to get a recommendation for an SA from someone who has recently purchased a car. In some cases (if possible) you may have to take delivery from an alternate showroom, but it‘s worth it. If you can’t get a recommendation, try to find an SA with at least 2 years experience on the job.

The chances of you keeping the $48,990 price are much better if you call an SA and have them make the change (and have them tell you that the price won't change before you OK it). That being said, the price may change regardless of what reassurances they give you and whether or not you made the change yourself or had them do it....lot's of inconsistencies...

Reasons for not doing FSD before delivery are legion.

Financial:
1) Extreme depreciation at resale
2) Subscription option imminient
3) Sales tax / registration aspect (varies between states)
4) Tesla's pattern of discounting / promotions / trials timed with every major release - just try before you buy
5) Insurance doesn't cover it for replacement.

Functional:
1) Limited utility vs. Autopilot
2) Requires attentiveness, not less - like supervising a teenager
3) Summon mode will lead to a "run out to the car because it's stuck" embarrassing moment
4) Tesla's constantly changing position on the capabilities and techniques (vision vs sonar) of FSD creates uncertainty about realization of the promise.

The only usable feature is Autopark, and even that is spotty (fails to recognize a parking spot 30-40% of the time). That and "gee, let's fund FUTURE FSD capabilities" are the only arguments I can see for paying the extra $10k.

Shame that Autopark is included in many downmarket vehicles for a fraction of the cost.

Reasons for not doing FSD before delivery are legion.

Financial:
1) Extreme depreciation at resale
2) Subscription option imminient
3) Sales tax / registration aspect (varies between states)
4) Tesla's pattern of discounting / promotions / trials timed with every major release - just try before you buy
5) Insurance doesn't cover it for replacement.

Functional:
1) Limited utility vs. Autopilot
2) Requires attentiveness, not less - like supervising a teenager
3) Summon mode will lead to a "run out to the car because it's stuck" embarrassing moment
4) Tesla's constantly changing position on the capabilities and techniques (vision vs sonar) of FSD creates uncertainty about realization of the promise.

The only usable feature is Autopark, and even that is spotty (fails to recognize a parking spot 30-40% of the time). That and "gee, let's fund FUTURE FSD capabilities" are the only arguments I can see for paying the extra $10k.

Shame that Autopark is included in many downmarket vehicles for a fraction of the cost.

I think of it more simplistically: You're paying $10,000 to be a beta tester for Telsa, plain and simple.

FWIW I called my SA today asking if removing FSD would have any effect on price/delivery date. Since I ordered before the price changes, he said removing FSD from my order would change my vehicle to the current price. He also said that removing FSD could change my delivery date.