TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Removing gen 2 hpwc

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by bmms8, Sep 16, 2020.

1. bmms8

bmms8 Member

I’m thinking of relocating my gen 2 hpwc to a different residence. Can my electrician simply change current setup over to a nema 1450?

2. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

#2 Watts_Up, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    It depend if the Neutral was installed.

If there is no Neutral, may be just replace the Powerwall with a connection box to protect the wires.

To have a legal NEMA 14 50 require adding a Neutral, and may be a new 50 A circuit breaker.

Adding a new wire in a conduit is not easy, unless it is very short with not too many curves.

So it would be simpler to put connection box and put back a new Powerwall when needed.

3. bmms8

bmms8 Member

Thank you for the insight!

I will have to confirm if a ground is there.

4. jmaddr

jmaddr Member

If it doesn't have a neutral (they both need ground) you could put in a 6-50 instead. The 6-50 does not require a neutral wire.

• Helpful x 1
  5. bmms8

bmms8 Member

sorry neutral *
    Thanks folks!

6. arcus

arcus Active Member

Also, depending on your current braker, make sure to adjust the settings inside HPWC to match the new setup (in case it is different amperage).

7. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Well-Known Member

@bmms8 You're asking if you can put in a 14-50, but have never once mentioned how many amps your circuit is for you wall connector, so it's impossible for any of us to answer that question yet.

The answer is certainly "yes" for the more generic question of "Can I replace my wall connector with an outlet?" Always. But these questions of what kind of wire and circuit breaker will have to determine which kind of outlet. So more information please? What's the breaker and wire gauge/type in this?

8. bmms8

bmms8 Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It’s a 60 amp breaker with 6 gauge wiring.

if no neutral I’ll do the 6-50. It was a lot of labor as the panel is 150 ft from hpwc

9. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Then you'll also need to change the breaker to a 50A one.

• Informative x 1