TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Removing/Installing the Rear License Plate

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NotMandatory, Jun 17, 2013.

1. NotMandatory

NotMandatory Member

I thought I would post this since I hadn't seen anything covering it for others.

When our MS 85 arrived (mid-May 2013), we didn't have plates yet (since we ordered new custom plates). As a result, we had the nifty "TESLA" placard mounted in the rear plasti/chrome Tesla license plate cover. So when it came time to remove the placard and install our actual plates, it was not immediately obvious how to remove the two silvery caps at the top. Spinning them did nothing, and there was no mention of how they worked in the owners manual(s) that I searched.

Tesla plate 1.jpg

Turns out those little caps just snap on and off. So you'll want to pry them off gently with a small screwdriver if your nails aren't strong enough (I could only get one of the two off without a tool). Behind them was another surprise...namely Torx T20 screws. Fortunately, I had a Torx T20 screwdriver, but not everyone does...so be aware that Tesla may now use those by default for front and back plates. (I think a T15 might also fit enough to work, but you might risk stripping the nut slightly.)

Tesla plate 2.jpg

Hopefully this will help others who were initially concerned about possibly breaking something when faced with how to remove the existing Tesla placard...

2. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

A followup tip is that if your Tesla placard is the plastic type (has "TESLA" in red letters on white plastic, rather than paper), you can use it behind the metal license plate to prevent your plate from scratching the paint over time. (Of course this means you can't display it in your garage or living room like I do with other old plates).

3. MrOteece

MrOteece Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one that spun those things a good while before figuring it out.

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Bah! I have a TorX 15, 25, and 30 here at home but not a 20!

Guess I'll check at work tomorrow.

5. irishstoutaz

irishstoutaz Member

Ours had regular phillips screws...

6. JPP

JPP Active Member

Mine had Philips screws, not Torx under the chromed plastic caps.

7. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

Mine were black oxide T15 heads with #10x5/8" threads. Only two came with/on the car so I went shopping and settled on philips stainless steel #10x3/4" to anchor all 4 corners. In retrospect #10x1/2" would might have been a better choice especially if using 4 screws.

8. ausdma

ausdma Member

Yea, I played with it and thought it might pry off but I didn't want to force it without being sure so I went by the service center and they did it for me. I didn't notice what kind of screws it had, but I guess I'll find out when my vanity plates come in. The front just had philips head screws so that was no problem.

9. The Flash

The Flash New Member

Small screw driver prys it off easily. Great tip. Mine were Philips Head screws.