TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by fengshui, Apr 19, 2016.

1. fengshui

fengshui Member

Anyone with a 7-seat model pulled up the flooring material to see what it would take to remove the middle seat? Presumably there are wiring harnesses for the forward and back motion, but are there other things as well?

2. HP1

HP1 Member

I wonder as well, someone be the guinea pig and let us know!

3. fengshui

fengshui Member

• Informative x 2
  4. 4sevens.com

4sevens.com Member

very interested

5. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Member

It seems like someone could find a way to modify the middle seat head rest so it lowers (like the third row seats) instead of removing the entire seat. Of course that would require some creative cutting and installation of some sort of hinge assembly.

6. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

How easy is it to put back in place?

7. RossRAllen

RossRAllen Member

Actually, I might consider having the center seat removed if the price is right for (1) better rear visibility and (2) more 3rd row legroom and cargo room. I'll likely never carry 6 passengers, 3 plus me would be a big load.

Has anyone investigated center seat removal? I'll ask my Service Center if it could be done and the X reconfigured in firmware as a 6-seater. Need a new floor mat and probably a panel over the hole left by the middle seat.

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

What is needed is a way to drop the back of the middle seat.
    Sad to see folks spend the money to get all 7 seats talk about spending more to get rid of the middle seat

9. RossRAllen

RossRAllen Member

For the Signature model, there was no difference in price between 6 and 7, and the 3rd row was included and not an option. So I got two things I might not want.

My main issue for me with the center 2nd row seat is that it blocks the middle of the rear-view. On the rarest occasion, I'd need the space for a long object.

But, without the middle seat, there's just a hole and there are no arm rests on the remaining seats. So, I dunno.

• Informative x 1
  10. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    Has anyone done this yet? After a few road trips we'd like the extra space and visibility.

11. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

From Facebook:
    --
    Ian Taras
    ‪#‎BiggestRegret‬ has been getting the 7 passenger configuration. The rear view is so impeded. For some who don't much use their rear view mirror it won't be a problem. Just wish that they would have made that middle seat in the 2nd row with a foldable headrest the way the 3rd row seats do. Didn't want to lop it off so had the entire seat removed! Also now feels more luxed-up with "captains chair" configuration.

If you need the 7 seats, get it. If you can get away with the 6 go with that better than the 5 which just puts that middle seat back in the 2nd row.

Here are pix post surgery...
    --

FB source link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

• Like x 1
  12. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

He has had issues getting firmware updates to install after the removal of the seat. I believe @Tsportline did the extraction. I was hoping they could design a "dummy plug" that can fool the car into thinking the seat was still there to avoid the software issues, haven't heard any updates.

13. Jeff Andrews

Jeff Andrews Member

San Luis Obispo, California, United States
    Would love it if Tesla did this for customers at the service centers.

14. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

15. pesos

pesos Member

Hmm, didn't notice any visibility issues on the test drive today. Is it bc I'm 6'2"? Would be awesome if the middle seat was a removable jump seat of sorts.

16. tonyx

tonyx Member

I'm also 6'2" and there is a clear obstruction, but after a few weeks of driving I've learned to shift my head slightly to get a good look in the rear view mirror. Not ideal but workable for now.

Having said this, clearly the middle row is hugely deficient in functionality, and I look forward to seeing Tesla advance their seat technology to fold, swivel, and completely unlatch/remove as needed.

17. wycolo

wycolo Active Member