Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My aim is to remove for camping and replace for day to day.
However, replacing requires recalibration with the Tesla Toolkit software or an opportunity to hack.

Ultimately I want to replace the 2016 2nd row with the 2017 fold down version.
Probably have to wait until there are more salvage vehicles available.

MDR

Assuming a 5 seat, 2018 Model X, what happens if I remove a seat and disconnect all associated wires... and then purchase Auto Pilot? Would there be download or installation trouble? I see references to some sort of problems with updates or something after committing such shenanigans... ?

Need the space behind the driver to be lower, otherwise it's unusable to me. There's not much space between the ceiling and the surface of the folded second row seats. Black, not tan. How does one find a capable 3rd party programmer? What might I expect to pay them?

Wow! Thanks a bunch.

FYI the 5 seat configuration, 60/40 second row, the "60" part of the seat alone has 10 electric connectors to the wiring harness, requiring removal of the seat back; this for a seat with no heat, no power adjustments, just a mechanical release to fold the back forwards, no fore and aft adjustment. 6 flange nuts hold the seat to the frame, removable with a 15 mm wrench (or 5/8' in a pinch). Where exactly are the seat mounted airbags in the 5-seat model X manufactured February 2018?

I can confirm if you remove a seat firmware updates will fail because it can’t communicate with the missing module. Before installing updates, I need to plug the seat back in (no need to recalibrate) and the update installs successfully.
Thanks Paul.
Have you already removed your seats?
If so can you share some photos?

MDR

I ended up ordering the six seater floor mat that hides the opening. But here is a picture with the floor mat removed.
962478D0-05C6-4D60-89E6-73C11C6427A0.jpeg

I see the easily accessible black module under the seat. Would it work if I just replace the black module? Or would I still need to replace the whole seat and all 10 wire harness connections?
If you try that, let me know! Up to now I just replace the entire seat.

2018 Model X 5-seat, second row, double seat removed. Not sure what to do when update time comes. Replacing the seat then removing it after the update would be a hassle. Photos of the seat-mounted control module, harness with 10 plugs, and underside of the removed seat-
20180331_163748.jpg
Tesla-seat-harness-sm.jpg

Tesla-seat-underneath.jpg