Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Middle Seat from 7-seat Configuration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSportline in Los Angeles has announced they can do this. No information about how much it cost, but we now know it is possible:
Instagram photo by T Sportline • May 17, 2016 at 12:38am UTC
It seems like someone could find a way to modify the middle seat head rest so it lowers (like the third row seats) instead of removing the entire seat. Of course that would require some creative cutting and installation of some sort of hinge assembly.

Actually, I might consider having the center seat removed if the price is right for (1) better rear visibility and (2) more 3rd row legroom and cargo room. I'll likely never carry 6 passengers, 3 plus me would be a big load.

Has anyone investigated center seat removal? I'll ask my Service Center if it could be done and the X reconfigured in firmware as a 6-seater. Need a new floor mat and probably a panel over the hole left by the middle seat.

What is needed is a way to drop the back of the middle seat.
Sad to see folks spend the money to get all 7 seats talk about spending more to get rid of the middle seat

For the Signature model, there was no difference in price between 6 and 7, and the 3rd row was included and not an option. So I got two things I might not want.

My main issue for me with the center 2nd row seat is that it blocks the middle of the rear-view. On the rarest occasion, I'd need the space for a long object.

But, without the middle seat, there's just a hole and there are no arm rests on the remaining seats. So, I dunno.

• Informative
Reactions: callmesam
From Facebook:
--
Ian Taras
‪#‎BiggestRegret‬ has been getting the 7 passenger configuration. The rear view is so impeded. For some who don't much use their rear view mirror it won't be a problem. Just wish that they would have made that middle seat in the 2nd row with a foldable headrest the way the 3rd row seats do. Didn't want to lop it off so had the entire seat removed! Also now feels more luxed-up with "captains chair" configuration.

If you need the 7 seats, get it. If you can get away with the 6 go with that better than the 5 which just puts that middle seat back in the 2nd row.

Here are pix post surgery...
--

FB source link: Log into Facebook | Facebook

Reactions: jeffaa
He has had issues getting firmware updates to install after the removal of the seat. I believe @Tsportline did the extraction. I was hoping they could design a "dummy plug" that can fool the car into thinking the seat was still there to avoid the software issues, haven't heard any updates.

I'm also 6'2" and there is a clear obstruction, but after a few weeks of driving I've learned to shift my head slightly to get a good look in the rear view mirror. Not ideal but workable for now.

Having said this, clearly the middle row is hugely deficient in functionality, and I look forward to seeing Tesla advance their seat technology to fold, swivel, and completely unlatch/remove as needed.

Re: Second row seat removal - this might help.
Second Row Removal.JPG