Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Model X Front License Plate Bracket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It shouldn't be drilled on. Should be taped. Dental floss and a hair dryer should get it but the assembly should be two parts and removing the bolts makes it much easier. Requires a specialty tool or needle nose pliers and a lot of patience.

Removing front license plate

Not true. When I picked mine up for delivery, the delivery center gave me the option to have the front license plate installed or not. They said if I wanted the front plate installed, they would have to drill holes into the body of the car. Then they showed me aftermarket options to mount the front license plate without drilling any holes. I ended up telling them not to install the front plate and went with an aftermarket option.

Here is another view front the Model X repair manual
Front License Plate Retrofit and Part Numbers.
And yes, it is drilled.

Attachments

• Tesla Model X 2015-2018 LICENSE RETROFIT.pdf
    113.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Tesla Model X 2015-2018 license plate parts.pdf
    49.5 KB · Views: 141
I see lots of Tesla model Xs in So Cal without front plates. Just wondering if DS are more strict up north when it comes to drilling license plates on the vehicle. I plan on putting a plate in the grill area and would like to avoid drilling.

I have the same problem. New MX from Costa Mesa dealer and they said they had to drill the holes. Right in front of me! I don't like the plug solution, which requires you to drill the holes larger and then have the plugs sitting offset from bumper.

Can these 3 holes be easily filled and then touch up paint would hide adequately? Looking to add a wrap, but want to resolve holes first.

Home delivery today from Santa Barbara center, front plate not installed. I did not request, was expecting the paper tags to be installed upfront.

C80F8E4E-38EA-43F5-A506-E13DD9CDFA35.jpeg

Reactions: DoubleE
I took delivery my MX 100D from San Diego's, Kearny Mesa center. No front plate installed. The paper plate was left in the truck for me. There're a lot of MXs on the road without the front plate. If I get a fix-it ticket, I will look for an after market solution without having to drill.